Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious what people's opinions are on what qualifies for an all original car.

Do people conside cars that have Mopar Parts (CAI, strut tower brace, etc) installed on the car by the dealership prior to purchase as an all original car or only original equipment installed from the factory itself?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'd consider anything put on before driving off the lot as "original", even if they hung fuzzy dice off the rear-view mirror.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
if it ain't on the window sticker then it ain't original

·
Registered
688 Posts
The way it was delivered to the first owner.

·
Registered
954 Posts
i think it is as you receive it when the deal is done,so i guess if the dealer installed some mopar goodies it would still be original since they are under the chrysler ''umbrella''.btw im leaving mine original myself,it performs very nicely as is imo.

·
Banned
664 Posts
if it ain't on the window sticker then it ain't original
Exactly! Now if you are talking older muscle cars there is original restored and survivors. Original restored is what it says, restored to what came out on the window sticker and condition. Survivor is an unrestored car with 75% of the original parts that came on the car including paint and interior.The phrase was coined by the bloomington gold group. Love all the survivor cars for sale with new paint and interior.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm just curious what people's opinions are on what qualifies for an all original car.

Do people conside cars that have Mopar Parts (CAI, strut tower brace, etc) installed on the car by the dealership prior to purchase as an all original car or only original equipment installed from the factory itself?
"Original" means as is from the factory. Matching numbers. Options matching the vin.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured there would be varying opionions on what was considered all original. Me personally I consider all original as how it left the dealership. Otherwise classics like Yenkos, Badlwin Motions, Hursts, Mr Norm's GSS, Saleen, etc etc would be no different than joe monkey wrench in his home garage. Which historically is not the case.

Everybody is entitled to thier own opinion and I figured the responses would vary greatly. :)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
An original car is equipped as noted on the window sticker, and the only replacement items permitted are wear-dated mechanical parts such as tires, shocks, clutch, etc. An original car must have factory paint, interior, glass, wheels, etc.

A restored car, no matter how correct, can never be original. A car is original only once.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Read what JonW said...

Barret-Jackson once defined it as received from the factory 'new' with no mods and regardless of how many owners. The only exception being maintenance items such as oil, tires (try to get tires that match original), wipers (wiper blades,ok), rubber seals (door seals, window seals OEM) as necessary for maintenance. No Body Work, re-chroming, parts swapping, restorations or alterations. All numbers match. Original miles. All dents, dings, chips, scratches remain. All original paperwork showing what came with the car. In essence, original. As an example, a Corvette (forgot the year, model) came on the block as 'original' with a stone chip in the paint. Nothing was done to repair the damage to keep it original. The car went for a 'good' sum.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
"Original" means as is from the factory. Matching numbers. Options matching the vin.
Exactly... dealer installed may be a nice little adder if it's detailed on the bill of sale, but it's still not "Original"
Never has been.

Go back to the dealer installed six packs...
If the vin doesn't have a V-code... no one cares.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'm curious if your question is just theoretical, or how "not original" affects the value of the car?

If it's the latter, I don't think Mopar parts installed by a dealer will hurt the value. I'm not sure it will add to the value though either.

For me, when I'm looking used, add on parts like CAI's, exhaust, changing the rear end gearing, shift knobs, stripes, whatever from ebay, autozone, advance auto, you get the idea turns me off, and I'll usually walk away.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
exactly as the Dodge designed the car to be

if a company like Hurst makes a special edition thats different than if joe dirt ads a superbird wing on his 2008 Challenger

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm curious if your question is just theoretical, or how "not original" affects the value of the car?

If it's the latter, I don't think Mopar parts installed by a dealer will hurt the value. I'm not sure it will add to the value though either.

For me, when I'm looking used, add on parts like CAI's, exhaust, changing the rear end gearing, shift knobs, stripes, whatever from ebay, autozone, advance auto, you get the idea turns me off, and I'll usually walk away.
Ditto. Perf mods also tell me the car has probably been run hard and that's another "walk away" item.

As noted there is a survivor class for classics. They are judged at major events like Carlisle and usually verified by guys like Galen Govier. A car with a new paint job would never be classified as a survivor by anyone who knew what they were doing.

I was following a nice survivor 72 Charger Rallye that showed up in a couple of magazines and at Carlisle. I contacted the owners (they also had a survivor 73 beeper) thru Mopar Muscle for some engine photos to help me get my car up to snuff and they were nice enough to help me out. He was the original owner of the car. Unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago and the car was sold to someone who apparently didn't appreciate it as they added 71 stripes to it and did a repaint of one of the quarters. The car shows up on Eaby every so often and I try to follow it but it always seems to be a little less original. Too bad, wish I had the money to have bought it and taken care of it. People value things and then others don't.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I figured there would be varying opionions on what was considered all original. Me personally I consider all original as how it left the dealership. Otherwise classics like Yenkos, Badlwin Motions, Hursts, Mr Norm's GSS, Saleen, etc etc would be no different than joe monkey wrench in his home garage. Which historically is not the case.

Everybody is entitled to thier own opinion and I figured the responses would vary greatly. :)
I believe vehicles unaltered since leaving the plant are "factory original" & vehicles such as the Hurst, which are as they were when they left the dealership, are "original".

Having said that, I think any dealer additions or alterations, regardless of whether they are Mopar, constitute a "dealer modified" vehicle.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Just theoretical. I purposely left factory out of the original because of course any car modified after leaving the factory wouldn't be "factory original". :)

I was looking for more what people consider original. I've seen many dealer modified cars such as Yenko listed in Hemmings as "all original".

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I think it's gotta match the sticker. Adds made at the dealer are no different than adds made afterward. Original should be as it came off the truck.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
according to AACA(Antique Automobile Club of America) standards to be an original it has to be as it was delivered from the factory to the dealer with all options listed on the original build sheet. any item added after delivery from the factory would not be considered original to the car and thus add ons

·
Super Moderator
14,189 Posts
Besides the BT oil catch can, I have only done cosmetic mods to the engine bay of my SRT. All original parts, mostly caps & hoses, have been put into plastic bags and placed in my empty tire wheel well. (I finally found a good use for it). I will be able to return my car to "factory condition" in less than 30 minutes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts