Dodge Challenger Forum banner

All season tires for Scat Pack 1320?

7K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  SlickVic 
#1 ·
Looking for suggestions, the car comes with drag radials. Which I want to change immediately.
my plan is to put the drag tires on some generic rims for the strip and get some decent tires on the stock rims. I avoid driving in the wet and don’t drive in the snow (and salt).
so suggestions for tires would be appreciated?
and perhaps rims for the drag radials? Are light weight or heavy rims best?

thanks.

#2 ·
Looking for suggestions, the car comes with drag radials. Which I want to change immediately.
my plan is to put the drag tires on some generic rims for the strip and get some decent tires on the stock rims. I avoid driving in the wet and don’t drive in the snow (and salt).
so suggestions for tires would be appreciated?
and perhaps rims for the drag radials? Are light weight or heavy rims best?

thanks.
For tires for the type of usage you describe you could get the same tires the "standard" Scat Pack comes with. IIRC mine came with Pirelli All Season Performance tires. As did my Hellcat.

Or if there is a "summer" high performance tire available for the car get that tire. With other cars I ran "summer" high performance tires year 'round -- here where I live no snow/ice (ever). Cool temps and rain (sometimes) so I had to cool my jets in these conditions.

As long as the wheels are the right size, will fit the car without any problems, and will accommodate the tires you want to use and are strong enough to withstand what you are going to subject them too, lighter is better than heavier. Lighter wheels require less power to turn. You want to be sure the tires won't spin on the rims.

#3 ·
Thanks much for the detailed reply, appreciate, the Pirelli tires are a reasonably decent price too.

leads me to another question, what would be the reason the tires would spin on rims, is that due to material of rims, poor installation or something else? Then I guess how would you be sure it wouldn’t happen?

#4 ·
No factory tire option on 1320, it will come only with the drag radials.

I'd keep the stock wheels and tires and then just look for a takeoff set of Hellcat wheels with factory 275 all seasons.

Tire slip on the wheels will only happen with the drag radials aired down, no concern with street tires at 32 psi.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
No factory tire option on 1320, it will come only with the drag radials.

I'd keep the stock wheels and tires and then just look for a takeoff set of Hellcat wheels with factory 275 all seasons.

Tire slip on the wheels will only happen with the drag radials aired down, no concern with street tires at 32 psi.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thanks. I get it now. Good solution too (y)

#8 ·
Personally, I'd look at other choices beyond the OEM Pirelli models used. Even the all-season verions offered don't have great tread life (as in maybe 24K in the best of circumstances).

A number of members in my area have SRT models and the Pirelli Nero have very short tread life and the Pirelli Nero Zero (all season version) are marginally longer tread wear.

Many have commented when they switched to other makes / models of tires, better grip more "secure" feel and longer wearing tread life. We have a few members with Hellcats, both standard body and widebody and a handful of Hellcat Redeye models (both body styles)

#9 ·
Thanks.
Keeping the drag radials on the factory rims brings me back to the (modified) question of good tire/ rim combination for “normal” use. There are take off rims only available, looks like I’ll need hellcat rims as the standard scat rims are narrower, either that or aftermarket, and if not p zero then what would be better for “normal” driving?

#10 ·
Lots of folks running Nitto NT-555 G2 (summer tire, but behaves well in cold), next I'll see Conti Extreme Contact DWS06 (all season Hi-Po tire) as the popular replacements around in my area

#12 ·
For long-wearing, reasonably priced, ultra high performance all-season tires, I highly recommend the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 tires. I bought mine from Discount Tire, one of our supporting vendors, and I am very pleased with them.

Check out the video reviews.

Attachments

#14 ·
they are forged wheels - the SRT wheels and the optional WRT and the T/A model wheels wheel are forged, lighter than the conventional cast aluminum wheels that are on the various other trims R/T, Scat Pack wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.