Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
did the 392 cam swap in Jan and that is the only thing I did not replace, guess I'll have to go bigger while I'm in there, what ya got that will help break the 5.7 SBE record?

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
the 274 is to big for a 5.7 and will idle like crap however we can do a more aggressive cam then that if you like the price is the same.

·
Registered
20 Posts
can you PM me about the more aggressive cam, its a weekend racer at this point so im not too concerned about driveability, the 392 cam already killed my hope of decent gas mileage too

·
Registered
625 Posts
the 274 is to big for a 5.7 and will idle like crap however we can do a more aggressive cam then that if you like the price is the same.
Can you please explain why the 274 is too big? If you P&P the heads, replace the valve springs and push rods with the swap, and have a tune to match, what's the problem?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Can you please explain why the 274 is too big? If you P&P the heads, replace the valve springs and push rods with the swap, and have a tune to match, what's the problem?

The larger cams such as the 274 Comp have an aggressive idle but are way too large for a 5.7 displacement engine. Low end throttle response and power will be sacrificed and Harder to Tune.

The smaller cams can get a bit more aggressive idle if lobe separation is tightened to 112 from 114 but will be much harder to tune and still may have some bad driving habits. The VVT style lobes are not a symmetrical design and have a delayed intake opening so they can be advanced in the engine but this reduces overlap.

Bigger is not always better

·
Registered
625 Posts
The larger cams such as the 274 Comp have an aggressive idle but are way too large for a 5.7 displacement engine. Low end throttle response and power will be sacrificed and Harder to Tune.

The smaller cams can get a bit more aggressive idle if lobe separation is tightened to 112 from 114 but will be much harder to tune and still may have some bad driving habits. The VVT style lobes are not a symmetrical design and have a delayed intake opening so they can be advanced in the engine but this reduces overlap.

Bigger is not always better
Alright, so can MM offer a cam that is price comparable to the 274 and will work with engine mods I mentioned?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have the 274 and I agree that it is harder to tune. Still have little issues but it pulls. 45rwhp gain is what I experienced.

·
Registered
530 Posts
what kind of issues? i know mine likes to surge between 1100-1500 when i am moving in neutral, and still have an unknown P000B code
I had surging but it went away after a while. The surging would happen when I first turn the car on like if it didn't know what the idle RPMs were.

The issue I'm talking about for me is when I change the car from Park to Drive or Drive to Reverse or reverse to drive, the rpms come real down and then shoots back up to idle rpms. Sometimes, however, the car will stall because it went down too low in RPMs.

Also, on a warm start, the car sometimes doesn't fire right up. I have to give it gas as it's starting to get it going. Feels old school.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts