Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Hoping to get some tips on all weather tires for a challenger SXT 2018. I am moving to Germany and they require snow tires. Figure I would just go with all weather so they can at least be more functional in the summer time without having to switch them out. I like a smooth comfortable ride - current stock tires are junk anyways. Size is 245/45ZR20.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,719 Posts
I added Germany to the title as we have members there. hemi1031 has just returned from there recently as well. In reading, tires there for winter must now carry the tri peaks snowflake symbol (3PMSF)

If you own all-season tires or winter tires marked with M+S and produced prior to 2018, they are still approved until Sept. 30, 2024

There are very few 3PMSF tires listed for passenger cars, and non performance I can see. If you can manage M+S tires, then you have choices

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 for instance is a good compromise. Can you have a 2nd set of wheels with dedicated winter tires?

TomDK is also in Germany

Good luck

A Guy

Reactions: Ineo Mors

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,102 Posts
A Guy is correct in the info that he provided. I personally used Nitto Motivos as my All-Season tires this last time that I was stationed there. I loved them and they were great in the dry, wet and snow. With that being said they are like any tire and I could get the, to spin, but I was never worried about losing traction while raining and they did grip well in the snow.

I think if I had wider than 275 then they would have performed better when dry. By that I mean better traction when getting on it. Once again though not a big deal.

Overall an excellent tire and no road noise or vibrations. Good luck with whatever choice you make and the move over. Are you military or is this a civilian move? If military where are you headed?

Edit: I have the 392 in mine, so 275 all the way around for you may work well. A little less torque to break them loose compared to mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,445 Posts
It's true that 275 tires will provide better traction on dry surfaces. However, a wide tire is not desirable for ice and snow.
The reason for this is that traction is achieved in winter by cutting through the ice and snow. With a wider tread, you're more likely to start snow plowing or floating on top of the surface instead of pushing down and through. This floating will result in loss of traction sooner than with a thinner or narrower option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies- I am headed to Frankfurt as military. Should be a pretty nice tour from what I hear. I was just concerned on some of the specs and brand. I am honestly not much of a car guru, I just like the car I have and might look into some upgrades over time. After shopping around for tires it shocked me how many choices/options are out there...so I was hoping to get some more ideas on brands/types that people actually experienced. It seems Toyo are good as an all-weather tire and supposedly perform in the summer months as well...but seem a bit pricey.

I would hate to get two sets of tires, the hassle doesn't seem worth any $ savings to me but maybe I am missing some of the numbers/experience.

I might just wait to get out there and just buy locally as So GA doesn't have much selection in all-weather/all-season tires.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,102 Posts
You can certainly wait until you get there, but if you arrive after 1 Oct and before 30 Mar then the inspectors at vehicle registration (on post) will fail you. Without the markings on your tires that A Guy previously mentioned. Vehicle registration is a dreaded process over there. I was always lucky because I speak German, know cars and the German rules. I was also stationed in Stuttgart 3 times and grew up half my childhood in Germany as an Army brat.

Anyhow, I digress....If you do decide to order them stateside check out @DiscountTireDirect they have a great selection, prices, shipping and also price match. Toyo if I recall is the percent company that Nitto falls under. I’ve always heard good things about Toyo, but have just stuck with Nitto myself. I use their off road tires, all-season and summer performance tires.

If you enjoy some spirited or even slightly spirited driving. Or intend to drive at the higher speeds in the unrestricted zones of the Autobahn, then I personally would have two sets of wheels. That is what I did and still do, summer set and all-season set. I do get it though and that’s not for everyone. So getting a good brand, such as the ones mentioned, of all-seasons will work fine.

Last thing I can think of is that if you wait till you get there and have to get them on the economy you’ll want to ensure that you already got the value added tax exemption forms (VAT forms) so you don’t paid the 19% sales tax.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding your car and the tires. Or about the move, presuming this is your first time. If not my apologies. Take care and talk soon. I’m jealous...you’ll love it over there.

Edit: Cuda does have a good point about width and snow. To add to that though. In my opinion you won’t see enough snow there to make that you decision point. Unless you travel to areas that have much more snow in the winter, of course. But around Frankfurt it doesn’t generally snow that hard for that long. As a matter of fact most of Germany has been seeing less snow over the years. I remember having snow at times around my birthday, which is just before a Thanksgiving, when I was a kid over there. Now a days it just depends on the year.

Reactions: Ineo Mors and A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
As a matter of fact most of Germany has been seeing less snow over the years. I remember having snow at times around my birthday, which is just before a Thanksgiving, when I was a kid over there. Now a days it just depends on the year.
Be careful. Some years ago I relocated from CA to MO and this was in May. I lived in MO a long time ago and remembered snow. I asked my new co-workers about snow tires and was told the amount of snow the region had been getting was way down. No need for snow tires.

Well, come winter and the snow storm of the century drops 8" or more snow. I could not even back the car out of its parking space. The only consolation was others were caught by surprise.

This was not a one year thing, either. The next year and the year after the snow was pretty heavy. The last year I was in MO I got caught in my Boxster on summer tires no less in a snow storm that ended up dumping 13" on Springfield MO.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have lived in Germany since 2009.
I tried all-weather tires on my high performance cars, but must say, they are at best average.
A dedicated set of summer and winter tires ensures best performance in all conditions.
The tires I drive on my SRT 392:
Summer Continental Sport 4S and Winter Continental Winter Contact TS 860 S

Reactions: hemi1031

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,102 Posts
Be careful. Some years ago I relocated from CA to MO and this was in May. I lived in MO a long time ago and remembered snow. I asked my new co-workers about snow tires and was told the amount of snow the region had been getting was way down. No need for snow tires.

Well, come winter and the snow storm of the century drops 8" or more snow. I could not even back the car out of its parking space. The only consolation was others were caught by surprise.

This was not a one year thing, either. The next year and the year after the snow was pretty heavy. The last year I was in MO I got caught in my Boxster on summer tires no less in a snow storm that ended up dumping 13" on Springfield MO.
Agreed..l like I said depends on the year. You just never know. Which is why my best recommendation is do like I did and have two sets.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,102 Posts
I have lived in Germany since 2009.
I tried all-weather tires on my high performance cars, but must say, they are at best average.
A dedicated set of summer and winter tires ensures best performance in all conditions.
The tires I drive on my SRT 392:
Summer Continental Sport 4S and Winter Continental Winter Contact TS 860 S
Yep! Two sets would be the best way.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Same is my opinion:
I bought a 2019 Scatpack WB with optional summertyres due I do not like allweather tyres.
I dont know if you get military plates or have to "join our german TÜV (Technical Control Board )" than you are in trouble. But I am sure they will have a liasion office to help you !

Problem:
In Germany the Challengers are imported cars. You will get no aproofed parts easily. All you mount must be inspected my this ugly Technical Control Board.
I was looking for winterwheels also and just beeing buying a used set of 2016 Hellcat alloys with wintertyres.
I drive 305 summer tyres, the winter tyres will be 275 around with 30 mm trackplates around so that the widebody is filled.

IF you buy wheels not OEM you have to check if it is possible to get them in the german papers through .... Technical Control Board.
Trackplates can be bought but have to shown for import cars to .... Technical Control Board
Tyres have .... NOT to be checked by this guys ;-)

My tip:
Buy winter tyres in the US, make your move to Germany and see what happens. But it is much easier to "import" a car with whelles than wheels afterward.
OR I was with the GAF posted in Denmark and bought there new cars .... we bought taxfree to special NATO rates. maybe it makes more sense to sell your car, maybe get some cash for NOT moving with a car and buy a new Challenger here.
In the area from big bases are US cardealers waiting for you !

Have a nice trip !

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,102 Posts
We do receive German plates now and we do undergo the TÜV inspection. However, we are exempt from certain things due to theStatus of Forces Agreement (SOFA). With that said some things have changed over time. Back in 2007 our European Commanding General decided we would blend in better with our American vehicles if we didn’t have tint on the from driver/passenger windows. So now everyone that gets stationed there has to remove it. Didn’t help my 2005 Dodge Ram blend in at all! Lol! We don’t have to get aftermarket parts inspected or approved, yet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We don’t have to get aftermarket parts inspected or approved, yet.
You are in a very lucky position (y)
But eberything else would be a bad joke .. you come to serve and not to handle with our most unfunny rules !
before I drove a 300C SRT8 ... but this car was available in Germany on the market so not too many problems with aftermarket. But with the Challenger is a nightmare .. I just want to have winterwheels .... ends up in a nightmare and for the amount of a set used hellcat wheels, with "TÜV" and everything I could affort a complete car for the winter ... but non like the Challenger ...

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,102 Posts
I meant that anything such as getting wheels, as you said, we don’t have to get approved. You are right. We the benefit of living there for a short while but don’t have to deal with certain things.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You’ll have to get the car inspected in order to register it with German plates, you’ll likely get a short plate, Vice the normal EU long plates, I had short on the back and long EU plate on the front...
anyway...

I used Continental Procontacts on my Challenger and they were great for Autobahn runs. Sunday’s on the Autobahn are the best. Don’t sweat the BMW wagon that blows by you either.

Be prepared for old dudes and teen boys to smile and point at your car as you drive through towns, especially the smaller ones.

there used to be a MOPAR club down in Kaiserslautern area, not sure if they’re still around. Been in the military for a long time,we miss Germany every day.

You’ll get an APO so you can have just about anything shipped to you. My four Continentals were ordered through Tire Rack and showed up at my APO post office. Car care center can help with putting stuff on, or rent you space and tools to do yourself. (You’ll need the all season’s before you clear inspection though.). You can roll on the summers, but if it gets icy, and you wreck, Germans polizei may find you at fault, even if it wasn’t.

Challenger wise, worse part about Germany will be when you come back and you miss driving that Autobahn every day...the second worse part is parking and some small towns, you won’t fit down some streets, get used to flipping your mirrors in too. ;). But at the end of the day all those things are totally worth it

·
Registered
97 Posts
Very nice pictures !
Enjoy your stay in Europe !

With some luck you can get numberplates like mine. Due my car is an import from the US (no Challengers for Europe official) I have in my papers a turns for small licence plates.
If it would help you I would give you a copy of that paper !

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,102 Posts
You’re making me miss Germany posting those photos btcaub. We really debated and still do moving back after I retire from the Army. I’ve already spent half my life there as an Army brat myself and being stationed there multiple times myself. It’s also nice that I have family there and speak German (my mom is German). At the very least I can’t wait to get back to visit. However, I won’t have my car with me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts