Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I wanted to add an alpine amplifier to the stock SXT speaker audio system, any suggestions on how to do this with the stock speakers?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
truly not being a jerk, but they are normally pretty straight forward if you are at all familiar with car audio systems. many are plug n play, outside of adding the nesssicary wiring & connections iof needed.
perhaps be best to seek out a good local car audio shop who can hook you up super quick.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would advise against adding an aftermarket amp of any decent amount of power to the stock speakers. The fact is that the stock speakers are horribly made and adding any power to them will more than likely blow them after listening at moderate volume over an extended period of time. This is regardless of which audio package you have. Aside from that, all but the base non-alpine 6 speaker systems are a little more complicated to upgrade.

The Sound Group 1, 2, and HK systems are all amplified already with DSP added. Adding any external amp will require an amp bypass module.

If you have the base 6 speaker non-alpine system, there are no amps or DSP so it's easier to add aftermarket amps using normal line out converters, Audio Control LC series units, or even the Rev.2 version of the aforementioned PAC Ap4-CH41 (best sound quality). Keep in mind that the factory radio has a built in bass roll-off at higher volumes so even if you use a good line out converter, the sound can get muddy at higher volumes. The PAC piece is the only way to bypass the bass roll-off.

·
Registered
159 Posts
So do you have the base radio or the 6-speaker Alpine system? If the base, then you have a variety of choices to get your speaker signal into an aftermarket amp. But definitely recommend changing out the speakers. Really not so hard, just some care and the right tools and it is an afternoon job. If you have the Alpine 6-speaker, I recommend first changing out the speakers. You will notice a big improvement. Then consider an interface and an aftermarket amp recommended by Crutchfield. You can do this in steps so that takes the pressure off the wallet as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After reading a bit online, I have decided not to install an amp now, but have ordered 6 new speakers to replace the existing 'Alpine' speakers.
these are:
a pair of 3.5" dash speakers 60 W each (Pioneer)
a pair of 6 x 9" door speakers 300 W each (Pioneer)
and a pair of 6.5" rear deck speakers.300 W each (Pioneer)

This would enable me to get rid of the stock 'Alpine' speakers and have an upgraded sound.
I believe this would be the least intrusive thing I could do.

I only hope that the stock HU can deliver at least some of the speakers performance.
I am not sure what the stock HU can output, but I do not intend to replace that.

Depending on the result of this, I may decide to stay,
or to install a 5 CH amp in the future and perhaps a sub woofer as well...

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I think you made a good first step. I had an '09 SE with the basic radio and speakers that were crap, to be honest. Just changing out the speakers made me smile with the result. It had a 276 Watt head unit, so I couldn't go crazy cranking up the music, but it sure was an improvement over the stock speakers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts