Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So I just found this forum and need people to either talk me into or out of a new challenger. I currently own a 2018 F8 green shaker plus and don't get me wrong I love it but....... The 5.7L doesn't seem to have the power I want. The car looks beautiful, leather interior is amazing and it is comfortable to drive but I can stop thinking that I should have gotten a scat pack. Has anyone had a longer time driving experience in both (not just a test drive)? Is it a lot different power wise? I mean I know its 100+ more hp but does it feel significant while driving it. I am getting the itch to upgrade already lol. Talk me off (or over lol) the ledge here.

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
Well, you'll take a big hit trading this soon, but yes, the 392 torque and HP is very noticeable.

I had a 5.7 RTC for 4 1/2 years and 42k miles.

I've had my SP for 3 1/2 years and 27k miles.

Big difference on how the SP feels in every way. Totally different performance level.

Sorry to have to tell you this.

13698.jpg

41577.jpg

·
Registered
90 Posts
While I have no doubt there's a considerable difference jumping up the the Scat Pack, unless you have money coming out of your a$$ I think you'd be crazy to trade a 2018 in already just for some extra HP. And if you are made of money, why stop there, why not go for the hellcat? That depreciation hit so soon just sounds terrible to me

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm not here to chastise you on your financial decisions, that is your choice as Lord knows we've all made a few youthful bad decisions before. HP difference? Hell yeah. I owned a 5.7 for 3 years and now have owned my 6.4 for 2 years. I was shocked at the difference when I moved into a Scatpack. Now of course I've gotten used to the power of the 6.4 and occasionally think about a Hellcat. See where I'm going with this?? Your call but the need for speed never diminishes it only seems to grow. Good luck.

Reactions: Fawls

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hello everyone,

So I just found this forum and need people to either talk me into or out of a new challenger. I currently own a 2018 F8 green shaker plus and don't get me wrong I love it but....... The 5.7L doesn't seem to have the power I want. The car looks beautiful, leather interior is amazing and it is comfortable to drive but I can stop thinking that I should have gotten a scat pack. Has anyone had a longer time driving experience in both (not just a test drive)? Is it a lot different power wise? I mean I know its 100+ more hp but does it feel significant while driving it. I am getting the itch to upgrade already lol. Talk me off (or over lol) the ledge here.
It's ALL a matter of perspective. Like....."The man that complained of having no shoes........till he met the man that had no feet".

You have an AMAZING ride that so many would kill for! HP is a drug. You get used to one power level.....and quickly need another.

Personally, I love my Scat and have NO desire for more power. The cost of the Hellcats and up are very high and the Insurance rates are through the roof. And for what......a second or 2 IF they can hook up? I have out run 2 Hellcats so far in the 1/4 for a WHOLE BUNCH LESS $$$$! There are plenty of Hellcats and Redeyes running 11's and 12's (spinnin ain't winnin)

My advice.....pick your lane and run in it and be very happy with it!

If you upgrade....make a serious decision and a smart choice......Gene.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I traded a 2011 Corvette convertible for my Challenger. The vette had 435 hp and 420 ft/lb torque. 0-60 was ~ 4 secs. I miss that power to some degree but I needed to downsize from two cars to one....and I needed a backseat. My point is that the Challenger offers more than just performance. It looks great and sounds even better.

I might upgrade to a 6.4 in a couple of years, but for now I'm satisfied with what I have. Ultimately this is your decision. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I came from a 2017 V6 camaro and a 2013 V6 camaro before that. It was fun, it was quick but it wasn’t ‘fast.’ I bring this up because the 5.7L is almost identical 0-60 and 1/4 mile time to the current V6 Camaro’s so I have a good barometer. The difference is staggering, absolutely staggering. Not only that, the Scat Pack is so much fun to drive it’s unreal. I only drive it on weekends and some weekday nights and it’s always a thrill. It puts a huge grin on my face and I can’t stop muttering, “this car is a F’ing monster!!” I finally floored it the other day and it was a rush and I even said out loud, it could be faster.

I don’t want a hellcat though, that’s more than I need and I’ll get in trouble. The heart wants what the heart wants and that will never change. I made a mistake trading in my 2013 camaro for a 2017, I should have waited and got the SS but then Chevy went and ruined the front end. I learned that shortly after what i wanted was the technology AND all the power. I paid a hefty price to move over to the scat pack but it’s totally worth it.

Here’s the #1 thing I can say. Don’t let anyone here tell you what you do or don’t need. Don’t let them tell you the 5.7L is “fast enough.” You only live once man, might as well live your best life. It’s only money, you can’t take it with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RT_PLUS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the responses. I got a really good deal on this when I bought it but will still take a hit trading it in. I am not a crazy driver by any means just want that power when I need it lol. It looks and sounds great! Will probably end up hanging on to it for another year or so.

BTW I am brand new to this forum and people seem to be pretty dang friendly. Just wanted to say I appreciate it !

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thank you all for the responses. I got a really good deal on this when I bought it but will still take a hit trading it in. I am not a crazy driver by any means just want that power when I need it lol. It looks and sounds great! Will probably end up hanging on to it for another year or so.

BTW I am brand new to this forum and people seem to be pretty dang friendly. Just wanted to say I appreciate it !
Welcome to the Challenger world and congrats on a BEAUTIFUL ride :)

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,409 Posts
Buy an unlocked PCM and tuner and do the Hellcat cold air intake upgrade. No it won't be Scat Pack power but you will feel a decent seat of the pants boost...

·
Registered
448 Posts
I came from an '07 Charger R/T with the 5.7L. I had put rotors, brakes, CAI, exhaust, Trinity 93octane tune, suspension upgrades out the ass, and probably other shit i'm forgetting. It was fun, but I was never able to get the power I wanted until I bought my '19 Scat Pack. The 392 is amazing. That being said - will I want a hellcat in a few years? Yep. Life is all about making yourself happy, in a hopefully constructive way. So - if you want the roar and crazy torque of a Scat Pack - go buy one. Stop putting it off. If you have money to do it - do it.

A quote I tell all of my friends that are "not allowed" to have nicer cars from their significant others - or who don't understand why I would spend so much money modding my old car or buying a new Scat Pack - "life is short, why drive a boring car?". This doesn't apply to you because you have a Challenger R/T already which is a GREAT car, but you get the point. If you've got the money, do it.

Also, I recommend selling third party, and then you won't take such a nasty hit on equity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why not just put a supercharger on it? Take a lot less deprecated hit and surprise a hell and have a lot of people when they see that RT scooting away from them especially if youre running against a scat or srt

·
Premium Member
921 Posts

I love that color, it was not available when I bought mine so I missed out, but I did get the SRT with the 392, it does everything I ask of it with ease and is fast enough to satisfy me. Once it was run in I tried some 0 - 60 times... they were rubbish because I could not get the power to the ground, I would not have been any faster in a Hellcat on that occasion.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! I can see your point on wanting to trade, but you do have an awesome car. I was shopping for a manual 5.7 and ended up with a SPWB A8. Aside from California gas prices, I have no regrets. Funny thing is, I am coming from a 2012 Charger 3.6 with just the Mopar CAI for a mod, which is still running strong at almost 220k miles, and I still really appreciate that car. I like winding that car up when I can and still get a kick out it. Point is, they are all great cars. If you can afford it, do it. If you need to hold on a bit, you have just about the best thing going already so enjoy it. EDIT: BTW that's an awesome ride you got there.

·
Registered
809 Posts
You a have a real sharp looking car.

If you are thinking of trading up, you owe it to yourself to wait until the 2020 specs/information is released.
No one really knows (yet) whats coming. It may be something you absolutely love and/or may cause major discounts on the remaining 2019 inventory. If the 2020's do neither, you will have lost nothing. You are going to take a pretty big hit, depreciation wise, but a major discount on a 2019 would soften the blow.

The used market is starting to get saturated w/both Scat pacs and Hellcats.
If you shop for a low mileage used car, that will also soften the financial blow.
The used car will have already taken the biggest depreciation, so at least you wont be in the same boat twice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I have a 2009 with 25000 miles just got it and I love the power it have for now in do time looking to do some up grades and see how that goes. And yes it a RT

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,666 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Mike ;) Looks great ?

A Guy

P.S. I'd never park it that close to so many carts! :D

·
Registered
1,953 Posts

Welcome!

Out of all the forums I have been a part of, this one seems to have the least drama and more helpful members. On any other forum, I would have a few members blocked by now.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts