Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 SXT comes with 235-55-18
I've run 255-55-18 on the rear once, but I feel like they might be too wide/tall and rub on the front.

Q: Will 245-55-18 fit on the front and not rub anythig?

I know about the dimensions (0.4" more diameter, 0.3" wider) - I'm just looking for someone who has these size to say "Yeah, they are fine"

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,025 Posts
Rim width and suspension are a factor. If the car has the stock suspension and factory rims, the 245/55/18 tires should not pose a problem for fitment.

The 255/55/18 tires likely require a rim at least 0.5” wider than the stock wheels to safely run them with no body sway at high speeds.

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Too short, as in you want a larger sidewall on the tire, or you want a taller overall tire+wheel height (I.e. larger rolling diameter)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both

The 245-50-18 are 0.3" wider, but 0.3" shorter at each sidewall (0.6" overall) and it's noticeable from the side view.

The long and the short of it is I'd prefer the stock height or a tad larger (245 are 0.4" taller overall), and a tad wider.
The 245-50-18 are 0.3" wider than the 235, and 0.4" total taller.
But not at the cost of rubbing during tight turns, etc. - I think you've answered that.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Both

The 245-50-18 are 0.3" wider, but 0.3" shorter at each sidewall (0.6" overall) and it's noticeable from the side view.

The long and the short of it is I'd prefer the stock height or a tad larger (245 are 0.4" taller overall), and a tad wider.
The 245-50-18 are 0.3" wider than the 235, and 0.4" total taller.
But not at the cost of rubbing during tight turns, etc. - I think you've answered that.

Thanks!
Any 18” tire that starts with a 245 is going to both hard to find in the desired brand/model (if it’s even made in that size) and more expensive when you do find it.

The 255/50/18s will be the widest you can safely do on the stock rims. In fact, not all of them will even be manageable on the stock rims, as some brands/models will be softer than others and require a wider rim no matter what.

You may have to upgrade the rims, going either wider in the 18” or to 20” rims altogether. Either one would increase the options you have for upgrading to a wider tire without altering the rolling diameter in a significant way.

Reactions: Eff10
1 - 6 of 6 Posts