Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well damn.
I was hoping that the alternator would last a bit longer then that. 2014 with 77,500 miles, and the alternator bearing is whining away. Will get the belt done too while we are at it.

Come to think of it, anything else worthwhile to change while we are in there?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
My alternator shit the bed at 45K. It seems like these cars have little mechanical issues that get bothersome. I'm at less than 60K and I've been through an alternator and a water pump already. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, mine magically fixed itself. Went from making terrible whining bearing noise, to dead quiet. Go figure.

I'm thinking if I swap the alternator, I might do the water pump too. Seems they both can be problematic, so why not deal with both issues at the same time. Oh, and a new belt of course too.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well, mine magically fixed itself. Went from making terrible whining bearing noise, to dead quiet. Go figure.

I'm thinking if I swap the alternator, I might do the water pump too. Seems they both can be problematic, so why not deal with both issues at the same time. Oh, and a new belt of course too.
Think it is time for a 6.4 upgrade. If they don't upgade the 3.2 or 3.6 v6 to F/I soon I am going back to the 6.4 upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
129 Posts
Just as a point of reference.......my 2015, 6.4L with 16K miles made an obnoxious squeal today. I pulled over to pop the hood, n sure enough it came from the front drive system. Drove it another 10 minutes and the squeal stopped.

This got me thinking when I got home. So, 30 minutes later I attempted to put a load on the alternator by using sound system for about 10 minutes and it did not repeat.

I suppose it's the beginning of the alternator bearing starting to fail?

Any similar experiences?

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts

I would suggest checking the water pump pulley for any play. It it moves up/ down or in/ out (grab the pulley and try moving it. if its tight and doesn't move, then its good

·
Premium Member
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
129 Posts
I would suggest checking the water pump pulley for any play. It it moves up/ down or in/ out (grab the pulley and try moving it. if its tight and doesn't move, then its good
Good call. Issues like this require knowledge n experience.

Thanks Hal H.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts