Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best aftermarket alternator to get ?
The OEM ones are crap. I'm looking for something that lasts a long time.

Need to replace my alternator soon.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well does the amps have to be the same output as OEM or it doesn't matter? Will it affect anything on the car going higher or lower than OEM ?

·
Registered
14,277 Posts
Well does the amps have to be the same output as OEM or it doesn't matter? Will it affect anything on the car going higher or lower than OEM ?
No, you can use a higher amp. Some have upgraded to the OEM 392/SRT alternator which is 220 amps. I've never done the swap but even though it's a little bigger, it bolts right on and hooks up fine.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
would not recommend moving away from Mopar, our experience with aftermarket electrical components like alternators and starters has been dismal at best, to the point now, if a customer choose a non oem alternator or starter, we will not warranty any labor......

Luke V

ps, its not rare to replace a non oem alternator 2 and 3 times

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would not recommend moving away from Mopar, our experience with aftermarket electrical components like alternators and starters has been dismal at best, to the point now, if a customer choose a non oem alternator or starter, we will not warranty any labor......

Luke V

ps, its not rare to replace a non oem alternator 2 and 3 times
Thanks for the input steve, Im based in Saudi Arabia and my car has finished its warranty, i bought it at 103,000km - would have changed the alternator if I had bought it earlier but would you be willing to ship an OEM SRT alternator my way?
The alternators locally are expensive $800 for a new one from the dealer, such a rip off.

Lets do a good deal!

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
Thanks for the input steve, Im based in Saudi Arabia and my car has finished its warranty, i bought it at 103,000km - would have changed the alternator if I had bought it earlier but would you be willing to ship an OEM SRT alternator my way?
The alternators locally are expensive $800 for a new one from the dealer, such a rip off.

Lets do a good deal!
be glad to assist, we ship worldwide every day
Luke

ps sent me a pm with the last 8 of the vin and complete address for shipping quote
:smile:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
be glad to assist, we ship worldwide every day
Luke

ps sent me a pm with the last 8 of the vin and complete address for shipping quote
:smile:
Hi Luke I've sent you a PM! Please check your inbox. Also is there a need to get the bolts & brackets with it too??

Thanks.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
have responded
thank you for shopping with us
Luke

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have responded
thank you for shopping with us
Luke
Luke as shown above in the posts the SRT OEM alternator also fits doesnt it?
Its the same fitment as the 180 amp.

If i currently dont have the mopar alternator then fine ill take the 180 amp one.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it's not under warranty then go with the best one you can get. I would also go with the 220 amp.
So i'd order the 2014 SRT 220 amps one correct?

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
Luke as shown above in the posts the SRT OEM alternator also fits doesnt it?
Its the same fitment as the 180 amp.

If i currently dont have the mopar alternator then fine ill take the 180 amp one.
my guess is that it fits, however we would recommend the oem replacement
Luke

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To all of you who have replied to my thread, thanks for your help, I ordered the Mopar 180amp alternator from steve white parts about a week ago and its here in the country now, just waiting for the delivery and will do the replacement myself, its pretty easy to take it out by the looks of the DIY videos ive been watching, I have the tools also in my garage to do the installation,

My coolant reservoir looks pretty dirty too so im gonna need to order that locally and drain out the coolant, swap the reservoir tank and fill in new coolant, if thats the method? As i've heard on some tutorials that you need to burp the system too? is that needed?

Other than that im gonna need to drain the coolant system with water a couple of times so its nice and clear and clean for the new coolant liquid.

Lets see if the new alternator eliminates the slight flickering and rpm decreasing while turning the steerring problem!
Will keep you all updated.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay guys, happy to say that i've installed new alternator (mopar) from Steve white parts, the next day battery died, so i had to get new one, got new EXIDE battery sameas previous, she runs better and smoother now but still got a slight issue that still exists, the steering still dims the car's exterior lights and the dashboard background lights when turning the steering wheel either way, i can see the rpm needle decreasing slightly too when doing so, had the OBD2 reader connected and read the battery voltage decrease slightly also while turning the steering. I know this is not normal but what is causing this dimming and decrease in voltage? Obviously the voltage goes back up to normal when i left go of the steering. Is there a fuse for the steering column of our cars, im lost on why its still doing that!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts