Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_1007.jpg IMG_1006.jpg

2019 R/T Scat Pack 392 T/A
Just Bought This Car New Yesterday! ( Just My Luck ) The Aluminum Seam On The Front Left And Right Corners Of The Hood Are Cracked. The White In The Crack Is Aluminum Oxidation!
Has Anyone Heard Of This?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Comparing that to my hood, this is my opinion. That is not a crack. That is the flange where the outer skin is bent over the under structure. Every hood has that.

The problem I do see (your pics are small) is that it appears the seam sealer that should be covering that seam was misapplied by about a 1/4" and completely missed the seam.

Your call on what you do about it. That seam needs to be sealed. FCA would possibly replace the hood under warranty. Problem will be finding a competent shop to do the repair.

Many new parts do not come seam sealed (it needs to be done by a tech before refinishing and installation). I would say 90%+ shops skip this important step. You don't want to get it repaired and end up with something worse that what you started with.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,948 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) I agree about the pics being too small to see the issue well. See if you can get some larger pictures, and we can likely comment if ours are similar

A Guy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Comparing that to my hood, this is my opinion. That is not a crack. That is the flange where the outer skin is bent over the under structure. Every hood has that.

The problem I do see (your pics are small) is that it appears the seam sealer that should be covering that seam was misapplied by about a 1/4" and completely missed the seam.

Your call on what you do about it. That seam needs to be sealed. FCA would possibly replace the hood under warranty. Problem will be finding a competent shop to do the repair.

Many new parts do not come seam sealed (it needs to be done by a tech before refinishing and installation). I would say 90%+ shops skip this important step. You don't want to get it repaired and end up with something worse that what you started with.
IMG_1007.jpg

Hope these pictures help....
Thank you for responding.... I cleaned the area and it looks like you are correct. I think the top skin lap is about a 1/2" and the crimps edge is about 1/4" from hoods edge. I was hooking my nail on the crimp edge that is not seam sealed like the rest of the hoods edges... at first it looked like the crimp machine tore the aluminum of the crimps edge. I think a good cleaning and applying more sealer will do the trick... THANKS1! ;):)

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,243 Posts
Are you sure it isn't just clear coat dribble around the lip. Either way, I am SO glad for aluminum hoods after the 2002ish hood debacles Chrysler had on a lot of their line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure it isn't just clear coat dribble around the lip. Either way, I am SO glad for aluminum hoods after the 2002ish hood debacles Chrysler had on a lot of their line.
No it's not clear coat.... definitely seam sealer misapplied. There is a great body shop near by. When the weather permits I will have them look it over...
Thanks for all the help!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts