Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting rid of my A8 Hellcat and buying an M6 T/A 392. The Hellcat is a monster, but I don't really drag race much if ever. I went to the track once and it was pointless on street tires. A good friend of mine is into autocross and I've done that a few times and it's fun, but the Hellcat is a handful. I'm thinking the manual 392 would be better suited for it. As great as the A8 is it is a little boring on the street to me, which is where I do 95 percent of my driving. I owned an A8 Scat Pack and liked the power of the 392. The Hellcat was a bucket list car and I'm glad I've had one, but it wouldn't break my heart to "downgrade". I'm also considering the manual Hellcat, but don't like what I''ve read about the gearing and the clutch issues. Curious if anyone else has done the same?

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,882 Posts
You know, I can't completely relate but I did downgrade from the 6.4 to the 5.7 on several Challengers now. I only did that because I didn't need the torque monster that is the 392. Also, I was a die-hard fan of the new 8-speed auto (it's still an amazing trans) but since I have acquired this 2015 Shaker Plus with a manual, I want to drive it all the time, more than my '17 T/A auto!! It is more fun than the 8-speed auto though the manual completely sucks in 2 hour traffic jams, but those don't happen every day.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I get it. I had to downsize (going back to school and a 3rd kid on the way) from a 6.4 to a 5.7 manual. No regrets and I've found that I really enjoy my 5.7 R/T a lot! Sounds great and has plenty of power for driving around town and spirited blasts. Its a damn good gran touring car. I'm not even sure I'll "upgrade" once I'm done with school.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've owned both the SRT 392 and HC in m6. The m6 gearing and clutch in the HC are fine for street driving and is the perfect brute muscle car cruiser. The 392 is great but I felt it kind of fell on its face above 40mph when rolling on it with the manual transmission. They feel similar below that but above the HC just pulls and pulls. I was going to supercharge my 392 but it was cheaper to just trade for a HC. I think you'll miss that whine and that middle to upper speed roll on power.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've owned both the SRT 392 and HC in m6. The m6 gearing and clutch in the HC are fine for street driving and is the perfect brute muscle car cruiser. The 392 is great but I felt it kind of fell on its face above 40mph when rolling on it with the manual transmission. They feel similar below that but above the HC just pulls and pulls. I was going to supercharge my 392 but it was cheaper to just trade for a HC. I think you'll miss that whine and that middle to upper roll on power.
I'm still definitely on the hunt for a used manual Hellcat just haven't found the perfect car or perfect deal yet. As someone who prides myself on decent negotiating skills it's a tough pill to swallow to pay more for the same car than what I'm being offered for mine. I get that the dealer has to keep the lights on but this really should be a straight across trade for the most part for similar cars. They say the autos are worth a little more but I don't know how true that is, but I do think they are easier to sell. I would have no real issues buying a used A8, but really don't want to buy a car and have to dump 3k on a new clutch right out of the chute. It's a tough call. I like the A8 and it is brutally fast but there are definitely trade offs. Just need more space and a bigger car budget and I would keep mine and get the manual Hellcat or maybe the TA.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Yes, you're crazy..;) The 392 will be a dog at your altitude also. Use the black key for a couple weeks, your answer lies within. :)

Good luck but man..keep the Kitty and enjoy.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,572 Posts
Yes, you're crazy..;) The 392 will be a dog at your altitude also. Use the black key for a couple weeks, your answer lies within. :)

Good luck but man..keep the Kitty and enjoy.
Oh good call on the black key.

As for going to a manual hell cat, I have a SC 5.7 with an M6 and it is extremely difficult to launch without massive wheel spin...although I don't think I would be happy with an automatic no matter how much faster it is. Granted I am on the skinny OEM tires but it definitely takes more skill to drive...I can only imagine a HC will require throttle/clutch Kung Fu.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Coming from a 5.7 to the 6.4 392 I can see what your all saying. Even that leap of power makes me wonder early on if I really need that much power the 392 is spitting out. My 5.7 seemed like the perfect daily driver while the 392 feels like I'm getting in a stock car. The 5.7 put down plenty of power when wanted but sometimes it seemed like just a tad more would be perfect. We'll see after the next summer.

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts
Oh good call on the black key.

As for going to a manual hell cat, I have a SC 5.7 with an M6 and it is extremely difficult to launch without massive wheel spin...although I don't think I would be happy with an automatic no matter how much faster it is. Granted I am on the skinny OEM tires but it definitely takes more skill to drive...I can only imagine a HC will require throttle/clutch Kung Fu.
There you said it all TAKES MORE SKILL and also makes it more enjoyable from my perspective. I find automatics big time boring in almost all vehicles. These cars are performance cars, it’s as much the driver as it is the car.
Since I only paid for my car, the rest can do as they please. I do remember way back when, you’d line up and tried (hopefully successfully) to beat your opponent while driving a manual trans. When that happy time came it was you that won and the car helped some. Today it’s like a point and shoot camera, aim to the end of the 1/4 mile, don’t leave too soon, press the pedal and go.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Nope not crazy at all. I have a 2009 SRT that once the OEM 6.1 fun wore off I threw the checkbook at it and ended up with a stroker 426 s/c and whenever my footsie tickles the go fast pedal it does it in a huge hurry. That being said, with a M6 that beast totally blows sitting in Atlanta traffic when I am unlucky to get caught in rush hour. There has been a few times that I regret building her up, then I get some open road and those thoughts vanish. It's your car, you know what you need and want out of it and if the HC isn't doing it for you, then downsize. It's still a Challenger and it's all good!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
You know, I can't completely relate but I did downgrade from the 6.4 to the 5.7 on several Challengers now. I only did that because I didn't need the torque monster that is the 392. Also, I was a die-hard fan of the new 8-speed auto (it's still an amazing trans) but since I have acquired this 2015 Shaker Plus with a manual, I want to drive it all the time, more than my '17 T/A auto!! It is more fun than the 8-speed auto though the manual completely sucks in 2 hour traffic jams, but those don't happen every day.

I understand.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I sold my 2009 SRT8 6 speed last summer. I owned it since new. Traffic has gotten so bad here it was not fun to drive. Only shifted from 1-2 and back down for many drives, 3rd gear sometimes. Clutch in, clutch out, took all enjoyment out of driving it. I may be back in a Challenger one day but it will be an automatic.

My little Jetta is a manual but it's a different animal. Runs through the gears in city traffic and can wind it out.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
No not at all I am very happy with my R/T Scat Pack Shaker M6. I am single and could afford a Hellcat and thought about getting one when I went shopping for a Challenger. But I don't do track days and I can't see buying all the extra power and not letting it run free on a race track plus it doesn't have a Shaker hood so the Scat Pack was just my style.

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I inquired about leasing one just for grins. The idiot dealer quoted me a lease payment of 790 a month for a 3 year, 30000 mile lease. This particular car has been sitting for months. I have 3 Mopars (Hellcat, Ram 1500, Jeep Grand Cherokee) and I swear FCA dealers are the absolute worst. It's too bad I like their products better than anything else out there right now.

·
Super Moderator
13,866 Posts
You know, I can't completely relate but I did downgrade from the 6.4 to the 5.7 on several Challengers now. I only did that because I didn't need the torque monster that is the 392.
If you can find an SRT with low miles, the sweet spot is the 6.1, 425 hp. Hemi.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Coming from a 5.7 to the 6.4 392 I can see what your all saying. Even that leap of power makes me wonder early on if I really need that much power the 392 is spitting out. My 5.7 seemed like the perfect daily driver while the 392 feels like I'm getting in a stock car. The 5.7 put down plenty of power when wanted but sometimes it seemed like just a tad more would be perfect. We'll see after the next summer.
V6 is equal to the 360 (actually better)
5.7 is the 383
392 is the 440 six pack
Hellcat is a dual quad 426 Hemi

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
No not at all I am very happy with my R/T Scat Pack Shaker M6. I am single and could afford a Hellcat and thought about getting one when I went shopping for a Challenger. But I don't do track days and I can't see buying all the extra power and not letting it run free on a race track plus it doesn't have a Shaker hood so the Scat Pack was just my style.
That's the way I figured it............cept I don't have a Shaker. Would rather have one though.......... trieeeeed to get one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I sold my 2009 SRT8 6 speed last summer. I owned it since new. Traffic has gotten so bad here it was not fun to drive. Only shifted from 1-2 and back down for many drives, 3rd gear sometimes. Clutch in, clutch out, took all enjoyment out of driving it. I may be back in a Challenger one day but it will be an automatic.

My little Jetta is a manual but it's a different animal. Runs through the gears in city traffic and can wind it out.
Ha, it's kinda funny you say that cause if I hadn't got my RT a month ago, the alternative vehicle I was looking at was a Jetta! Most people I told that thought I was crazy/weird as they are very different cars, but in my price range for the kind of "sporty" car I was dying for (after 4+yrs in an econobox) they both fit. It was probably gonna be an SXT/SXT Plus or Jetta (w/ leather) but then got lucky with a near perfect (for me) RT in my price range and went with that and am super happy with it!

I'm in Phoenix which can have awful traffic but luckily I have a short commute now that doesn't even require freeways and I'm on the north side of town where there is less. So I still get areas to drive it more "spirited". Only had it a month but have already thought a couple times that when the lease is up that may consider the auto next time. The manual is fun and not very much traffic it make it a hassle, but I'm finding I usually don't get enough road to fully go thru the FULL rpm range in the lower gears though is why.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
V6 is equal to the 318(actually better)
5.7 is the 340
392 is the 440 six pack
Hellcat is a dual quad 426 Hemi

adjusted slightly.....no one wanted the 383 for some reason and the 340 was faster.......:blowingup:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts