Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Am I crazy?

6K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  NoCoHc 
#1 ·
I'm considering getting rid of my A8 Hellcat and buying an M6 T/A 392. The Hellcat is a monster, but I don't really drag race much if ever. I went to the track once and it was pointless on street tires. A good friend of mine is into autocross and I've done that a few times and it's fun, but the Hellcat is a handful. I'm thinking the manual 392 would be better suited for it. As great as the A8 is it is a little boring on the street to me, which is where I do 95 percent of my driving. I owned an A8 Scat Pack and liked the power of the 392. The Hellcat was a bucket list car and I'm glad I've had one, but it wouldn't break my heart to "downgrade". I'm also considering the manual Hellcat, but don't like what I''ve read about the gearing and the clutch issues. Curious if anyone else has done the same?

#2 ·
You know, I can't completely relate but I did downgrade from the 6.4 to the 5.7 on several Challengers now. I only did that because I didn't need the torque monster that is the 392. Also, I was a die-hard fan of the new 8-speed auto (it's still an amazing trans) but since I have acquired this 2015 Shaker Plus with a manual, I want to drive it all the time, more than my '17 T/A auto!! It is more fun than the 8-speed auto though the manual completely sucks in 2 hour traffic jams, but those don't happen every day.

#3 · (Edited)
I get it. I had to downsize (going back to school and a 3rd kid on the way) from a 6.4 to a 5.7 manual. No regrets and I've found that I really enjoy my 5.7 R/T a lot! Sounds great and has plenty of power for driving around town and spirited blasts. Its a damn good gran touring car. I'm not even sure I'll "upgrade" once I'm done with school.

#4 · (Edited)
I've owned both the SRT 392 and HC in m6. The m6 gearing and clutch in the HC are fine for street driving and is the perfect brute muscle car cruiser. The 392 is great but I felt it kind of fell on its face above 40mph when rolling on it with the manual transmission. They feel similar below that but above the HC just pulls and pulls. I was going to supercharge my 392 but it was cheaper to just trade for a HC. I think you'll miss that whine and that middle to upper speed roll on power.

#5 ·
I've owned both the SRT 392 and HC in m6. The m6 gearing and clutch in the HC are fine for street driving and is the perfect brute muscle car cruiser. The 392 is great but I felt it kind of fell on its face above 40mph when rolling on it with the manual transmission. They feel similar below that but above the HC just pulls and pulls. I was going to supercharge my 392 but it was cheaper to just trade for a HC. I think you'll miss that whine and that middle to upper roll on power.
I'm still definitely on the hunt for a used manual Hellcat just haven't found the perfect car or perfect deal yet. As someone who prides myself on decent negotiating skills it's a tough pill to swallow to pay more for the same car than what I'm being offered for mine. I get that the dealer has to keep the lights on but this really should be a straight across trade for the most part for similar cars. They say the autos are worth a little more but I don't know how true that is, but I do think they are easier to sell. I would have no real issues buying a used A8, but really don't want to buy a car and have to dump 3k on a new clutch right out of the chute. It's a tough call. I like the A8 and it is brutally fast but there are definitely trade offs. Just need more space and a bigger car budget and I would keep mine and get the manual Hellcat or maybe the TA.

#7 · (Edited)
Yes, you're crazy..;) The 392 will be a dog at your altitude also. Use the black key for a couple weeks, your answer lies within. :)

Good luck but man..keep the Kitty and enjoy.

Reactions: NoCoHc
#8 ·
Oh good call on the black key.

As for going to a manual hell cat, I have a SC 5.7 with an M6 and it is extremely difficult to launch without massive wheel spin...although I don't think I would be happy with an automatic no matter how much faster it is. Granted I am on the skinny OEM tires but it definitely takes more skill to drive...I can only imagine a HC will require throttle/clutch Kung Fu.

#9 ·
Coming from a 5.7 to the 6.4 392 I can see what your all saying. Even that leap of power makes me wonder early on if I really need that much power the 392 is spitting out. My 5.7 seemed like the perfect daily driver while the 392 feels like I'm getting in a stock car. The 5.7 put down plenty of power when wanted but sometimes it seemed like just a tad more would be perfect. We'll see after the next summer.

#11 ·
Nope not crazy at all. I have a 2009 SRT that once the OEM 6.1 fun wore off I threw the checkbook at it and ended up with a stroker 426 s/c and whenever my footsie tickles the go fast pedal it does it in a huge hurry. That being said, with a M6 that beast totally blows sitting in Atlanta traffic when I am unlucky to get caught in rush hour. There has been a few times that I regret building her up, then I get some open road and those thoughts vanish. It's your car, you know what you need and want out of it and if the HC isn't doing it for you, then downsize. It's still a Challenger and it's all good!

Reactions: silver scat
#13 ·
I sold my 2009 SRT8 6 speed last summer. I owned it since new. Traffic has gotten so bad here it was not fun to drive. Only shifted from 1-2 and back down for many drives, 3rd gear sometimes. Clutch in, clutch out, took all enjoyment out of driving it. I may be back in a Challenger one day but it will be an automatic.

My little Jetta is a manual but it's a different animal. Runs through the gears in city traffic and can wind it out.

Reactions: EddieG
#19 ·
Ha, it's kinda funny you say that cause if I hadn't got my RT a month ago, the alternative vehicle I was looking at was a Jetta! Most people I told that thought I was crazy/weird as they are very different cars, but in my price range for the kind of "sporty" car I was dying for (after 4+yrs in an econobox) they both fit. It was probably gonna be an SXT/SXT Plus or Jetta (w/ leather) but then got lucky with a near perfect (for me) RT in my price range and went with that and am super happy with it!

I'm in Phoenix which can have awful traffic but luckily I have a short commute now that doesn't even require freeways and I'm on the north side of town where there is less. So I still get areas to drive it more "spirited". Only had it a month but have already thought a couple times that when the lease is up that may consider the auto next time. The manual is fun and not very much traffic it make it a hassle, but I'm finding I usually don't get enough road to fully go thru the FULL rpm range in the lower gears though is why.

#14 ·
No not at all I am very happy with my R/T Scat Pack Shaker M6. I am single and could afford a Hellcat and thought about getting one when I went shopping for a Challenger. But I don't do track days and I can't see buying all the extra power and not letting it run free on a race track plus it doesn't have a Shaker hood so the Scat Pack was just my style.

Attachments

#18 ·
That's the way I figured it............cept I don't have a Shaker. Would rather have one though.......... trieeeeed to get one.

#15 ·
I inquired about leasing one just for grins. The idiot dealer quoted me a lease payment of 790 a month for a 3 year, 30000 mile lease. This particular car has been sitting for months. I have 3 Mopars (Hellcat, Ram 1500, Jeep Grand Cherokee) and I swear FCA dealers are the absolute worst. It's too bad I like their products better than anything else out there right now.

#22 ·
Interesting you say that about the v-6 as I was looking at the new Ram quad cabs and crew cabs and many of them at the local dealer 3.6 V-6’s with 3.21 gears just like my Wrangler except it weighs a bit more.
They do get decent mileage.

#24 ·
When I was at Bob Bondurant driving an M6 Hellcat with a black key (they didn't have an SRT392 manual and wanted to upcharge me about $120 a day as I recall for the Hellcat), which limits it to about 500hp the only time someone with an A8 (I was the only guy in the group rowing) and a Hellcat could clearly pull away on me was on the back straightaway. So, as long as you aren't drag racing, to me I felt that the experienced confirmed that the number of times I could really legit use an extra 200hp on the road would be slim. I didn't have the extra 20k to spend and I don't miss it here in New England. We just don't have a lot of roads I could use it on. If I was in Texas or Montana? Maybe I would feel differently.

After driving the 6.4 I just couldn't convince myself that a 5.7 was going to do it. It just didn't put a smile on my face, even with a manual.

I do wish I had a GT to flog through the winter months. I miss driving my Challenger.

#28 ·
Do what makes you happy. I chose the SRT 392 w/manual not because it was the fastest in the bunch but because it was naturally aspirated (reliability) and it would be a blast to drive - and it is. Is it as fast as the automatic version of the same car? No. But I shift my own gears. I DRIVE the car. I feel the car. That's what was important to me. Determine what's important to you and go after it.

#29 ·
I'm going to hang onto the Hellcat for now. I need to find more time this summer to take it to the drag strip and road course so I can use the power and enjoy the car. I've had it for almost two years and only have 6600 miles on it. I'm going to drive it as much as possible this summer and see what happens for 2019. Who knows I might find a used Scat Pack or T/A with a manual and add to the fleet rather than getting rid of the Hellcat. Just have to explain to my wife why I'm kicking her Grand Cherokee out of the garage >:)

#30 ·
Did it

I am with you. I traded my 2016 M6 Hellcat for a 2015 SRT8 with 2,000 miles a month ago because there was a semi local dealer that had customer looking. I kept the Cat as a garage queen and would have never taken it to the strip anyways. so thought why not "downsize" and actually drive this SRT8 this summer and enjoy it. so it made sense to me and I did ok financially.
will I someday get back to a Hellcat, knowing me yes...but I have to go in with the mindset I am going to drive and enjoy it!

#31 ·
I have a 16 HC M6 that I got from a dealer in SC. They were $3k below sticker and I wanted the B5 so I grabbed it.
It is my toy and stays garaged except sunny days. I would never think to autocross it though. The Challengers feel to heavy to flick corners in my mind. I had a 13' SRT M6 and it felt the same.
I just picked a 16' Charger SRT and WOW this thing handles. It came with summer tires, but it is winter here in CT. I drive it when there is no snow on the ground and I love it.
The 392 is awesome in this car and I just want to take it to the track and carve corners. In 13', SRT would give you a track day when you bought one. I did Lyme Rock in the rain and the Charger was far better than the other cars.

So... keep the HC for giggles and buy a Charger for track days. That is my advice.

#32 ·
My A8 Hellcat is an absolute blast at our local road course....autocross not so much. The recent rumors about a 426 Challenger in the next year or two has me pretty stoked. .If it happens and I can swing it that's what I'll be getting with a manual transmission. If it's like most Dodge offerings the initial frenzy will be a cluster and guys will be dumping their Scat Packs and T/A's right and left to get this thing. If I find a screaming deal on a used T/A I might do that also. I think at this point I'm keeping the Hellcat. I like it I just want a manual also not necessarily instead of.

#33 ·
Keeping the Hellcat auto and adding a 392 M6 would be the best if you can do it. I never sell a car that I love that's why I own 5 cars. The first second and third cars that I bought between 1978 and 1985 plus a 2016 Scat Pack Shaker M6 and a 2017 GT AWD for my DD.

Attachments

#36 ·
I traded for a 2015 M6 Hellcat today. It has 4300 miles on it and is Phantom Black with a satin black hood and red seat belts. I know it's not rare in terms of collectible value, but it seems more unique than my Granite A8. It's a different feeling, just seems more raw. I'm looking forward to the change. Loved the A8, but hated making a car payment on something I was bored with. This thing is a blast to just drive so that's the plan.

#37 ·
Congratulations!!! Yes for that kind of money you should have FUN! Let's see it when you can. Good luck!

#38 ·
Am I crazy? Are we basing our answer only on the car swap? >:)

A Guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.