Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
View attachment 1062920
I've been a mopar fan since before I could drive. My first car was a 1969 383 charger 4 speed, just what every 16 year old needs.
Fast forward to the mid 90's, married, 2 kids and always short on savings. I had read a article in Mopar magazine about a 70 or 71 426 roadrunner survivor car a guy bought new. The story, goes he say it arrive on the truck at the dealership and ran across the street and took possession of it before the mechanics could get there hands on it.
Drove it back home and parked it in his garage, rarely driving it.
I happened to live outside Carlisle Pennsylvania and saw that that car was going to be there at the Carlisle mopar show. It was a marvel to behold, black on black, 426 4 speed and all original, because he got it before the dealership did any prep work, the paperwork was amazing. The magazine alluded that the air in the spare tire was probably from 1971. I had always thought about that car, how could someone one afford to buy a car like that and park it for 25 years.
Well in 2020 I figured out how to buy a expensive car and park it. Kids all grown and got rid of the wife (doesn't work for everyone)
I had ordered a 2020 Challenger Scat Pack shaker and parked it, well I have put on 4500 miles so far.
Now I'm asking, am I crazy in thinking if I keep this car all original and very low miles, will it be worth something in 25-30 years? Granted I'll be pushing daisy's by then but my son has assured me he will be parking it way back in his 8 car garage. He knows the story and hopes to pass all the cars down to his son.
In case any one is wondering about the RT strip, it was told to me when ordering the car, you can't get the shaker graphics and RT strip. It was one or the other, the dealership ordered the RT strip from dodge and had them installed at the dealership.
Thoughts from the group?
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Hood

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Trunk Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Font Material property Document Paper Parallel

·
Registered
192 Posts
"I wish I drove my muscle car less often" said nobody on their deathbed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
1971 HEMI Cuda Convertible no one would have believed what it’s worth has been over the past decade especially in oh say mid 70’s with the gas embargo those cars went for a 1/3 what they went for sticker 4 years prior.

Enter 2022 and with the death of ICE in our future, I would say drive it like you were 17 and enjoy that bad mofo 🤘

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T Classic
149 Posts
If you want to hand it down, do as you please.
I drive my 2012 R/T less than 2000 miles per year. Not for preservation purposes, it's just how it is.
I plan on giving it to my grandson in maybe 15 years. It will be extremely low miles then, but I will enjoy until I hand it off.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,859 Posts
Quick story.

My older cousin got out of the service in '67. Bought a new '67 Camaro 4 speed. Don't remember all the particulars, but it was "hot" out of the factory.

Did the usual tweaking back then, and said this one is "it" and I'll never sell it.

Fast forward to 15 years ago, and we got together for a family reunion. Guess what he was driving. Yep the '67.

He said it's been restored three times, as it is his DD. Too much fun to just look at, and no sense to just store it away. Keep it running well, looking well, and drive the snot out of it.

He passed a few years back. He was still driving it and enjoying it til his time came.

FWIW, that car spent it's entire life as a DD in CHICAGO!

·
Premium Member
2022 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker WB A8
856 Posts
pipe dream.... there are way too many garage queens already. drive it

oh I don't think 1 of 1 is rare. mine off the lot is a 1 of 1. too many options

dodge sends you an email if you try to find out "congrats u have a 1 of 1!" more hype
Agreed… with as many options as there are available I’m just not all that impressed with 1 of 1… drive it…

Reactions: 2020GoMango

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Not driving your car is like saving your wife/girlfriend for the next guy. Enjoy that car! Already too many miles on it now anyway. Life is tooooooo short to not enjoy that thing. A 43 yr old dad in my neighborhood dropped dead of a heart attack recently. He was fitness guy too and biked everywhere. Don’t waste another second worrying about putting miles on your car. Your son can restore it some day and remember the years and miles you both spent DRIVING it. Enjoy, it’s a great car.

·
Registered
2021 Hellcat Widebody Hellraisin over Demonic Red
392 Posts
Being one of one is cool and all, but yes, drive it! Enjoy it. Don’t worry about it. If it’s a pleasure vehicle and not your every day, the miles will stay relatively low anyway. Take a look and see how much a nicely optioned ‘70 with say, 75 thousand original miles goes for these days. Well taken care of cars will do fine value-wise later on, even with some miles.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
2,581 Posts
If it makes you feel good to just look at the car and save it for your heirs, then go for it. But if it was mine, I would drive it and enjoy it for what it is. Will your heirs like a vehicle you looked at or would it mean more to them that it was something you enjoyed. If I owned any valuable car, it would still be driven and enjoyed. I believe that cars, motorcycles and guitars only come alive when they driven, road or played. I have an acquaintance who collects corvettes and has a Harley. Parks them for years at a time, looks at them but whenever he goes to drive them, these low mileage cars have problems. I would drive it and enjoy it. Good luck 👍

·
Registered
2021 Hellcat Widebody Hellraisin over Demonic Red
392 Posts
If it makes you feel good to just look at the car and save it for your heirs, then go for it. But if it was mine, I would drive it and enjoy it for what it is. Will your heirs like a vehicle you looked at or would it mean more to them that it was something you enjoyed. If I owned any valuable car, it would still be driven and enjoyed. I believe that cars, motorcycles and guitars only come alive when they driven, road or played. I have an acquaintance who collects corvettes and has a Harley. Parks them for years at a time, looks at them but whenever he goes to drive them, these low mileage cars have problems. I would drive it and enjoy it. Good luck 👍
Great point about the heirs. I’d want something my Dad enjoyed, and I could remember how much he enjoyed it when I drove it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts