Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So back in July my car was parked and while I was in the store someone backed into it breaking the tail lights and denting the trunk. I assume it was a lifted truck that was 3k in damage. In March I was run off the road and destroyed my rims and front hub assembly and threw the car way out of alignment. I kept asking for a rental car because the car was not safe to drive it was all over the road. I even was pulled over by CHP because they thought I was drunk. I waited a month before I was able to take my car to get repaid, they had to wait for the parts to get ordered. The day I was going to take my car to the shop I was having issues turning the wheel and scraped the whole side of the car on brick and stucco this was last Friday. I asked the shop to give me a quote because I did not want to make another claim even though it was related to the first one technically. Well the cost to fix the rims and suspension was 3k and the quote I got to fix the side of the car was 2500 which I found out today. I called my insurance company and told them it was a result of the initial accident and me telling them the car was not safe to drive. They had to open another claim for my car. I told them that it did not look bad and thought that if it was below my deductible I was going to pay out of pocket but it is far away from my deductible. The incident that happened in July I had no info or note, the truck that ran me off the road had paper plates all I know is it was an F250. Then not being able to turn the wheel correctly because of the damage to the front steering caused me to scrape the car.

Am I going to be an SOL when it comes time to renew my insurance? My insurance would not even cover for me to replace my tires as the alignment was so bad that the rear tires were bald and I even had paperwork shoing they were half way though there tread life as I had a 4 wheel alignment, balance and rotation 6 days before I was run off the road then driving a month on them destroyed them. Which I had to pay out of pocket to purchase new tires.:( I like my insurance company but this time i feel like I am being diked around.

·
Registered
639 Posts
So back in July my car was parked and while I was in the store someone backed into it breaking the tail lights and denting the trunk. I assume it was a lifted truck that was 3k in damage. In March I was run off the road and destroyed my rims and front hub assembly and threw the car way out of alignment. I kept asking for a rental car because the car was not safe to drive it was all over the road. I even was pulled over by CHP because they thought I was drunk. I waited a month before I was able to take my car to get repaid, they had to wait for the parts to get ordered. The day I was going to take my car to the shop I was having issues turning the wheel and scraped the whole side of the car on brick and stucco this was last Friday. I asked the shop to give me a quote because I did not want to make another claim even though it was related to the first one technically. Well the cost to fix the rims and suspension was 3k and the quote I got to fix the side of the car was 2500 which I found out today. I called my insurance company and told them it was a result of the initial accident and me telling them the car was not safe to drive. They had to open another claim for my car. I told them that it did not look bad and thought that if it was below my deductible I was going to pay out of pocket but it is far away from my deductible. The incident that happened in July I had no info or note, the truck that ran me off the road had paper plates all I know is it was an F250. Then not being able to turn the wheel correctly because of the damage to the front steering caused me to scrape the car.

Am I going to be an SOL when it comes time to renew my insurance? My insurance would not even cover for me to replace my tires as the alignment was so bad that the rear tires were bald and I even had paperwork shoing they were half way though there tread life as I had a 4 wheel alignment, balance and rotation 6 days before I was run off the road then driving a month on them destroyed them. Which I had to pay out of pocket to purchase new tires.:( I like my insurance company but this time i feel like I am being diked around I have USAA.
That many small claims, and that close together, sets off all sorts of red flags with insurance companies. They would rather pay off a 50k damage claim than a bunch of small ones. If you have been with them for a while, they might not drop you, but your rates may go up. Age is also a factor. My two cents.

·
Registered
981 Posts
You kept driving for a month, knowing the car was unsafe? Am I reading that right? You could have killed someone for want of a rental car?

I have been very happy with USAA including with one no-fault claim. I imagine there is a point when the driver is just too great of a risk and liability to continue insuring, but I don't think anyone here will know exactly where that point is for USAA.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
212 Posts

Am I going to be an SOL when it comes time to renew my insurance? My insurance would not even cover for me to replace my tires as the alignment was so bad that the rear tires were bald and I even had paperwork shoing they were half way though there tread life as I had a 4 wheel alignment, balance and rotation 6 days before I was run off the road then driving a month on them destroyed them. Which I had to pay out of pocket to purchase new tires.:( I like my insurance company but this time i feel like I am being diked around I have USAA.
The first incident was not your fault....but your insurance still had to pay for it, the second was not your fault either...however there's prob no proof of the other vehicle running you off the road, so they will still classify it as an at fault incedent, the third is your fault (due to gross negligence driving a car that you admittedly knew was not roadworthy/safe)...so now in just a few months time the insurance has to pay to repair your vehicle 3 times, and a potential property damage claim from the owner of the brick and stucco wall you hit...and you admitted to driving a vehicle that you knew was not safe. The insurer will prob look on this as something similar (responsibility wise) to driving while impaired and classify you as extremely high risk, if they even want to keep you on their books...I wouldn't.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am a claim rep with an insurance company (not usaa though) / the way all policies are written, each individual incident would be a separate claim, you are stuck there. Also, most polices have what they call mitigation of damages written into them, basically means you have a duty to stop further damage from happening due to the covered accident / in this case, continuing to drive when it was not safe to do so, damaging the tires. Would have been best to park her and wait for the parts to come in. Doesn't sound like there is much you can do, this would have happened with any insurance company. Would just talk to your agent about how this will affect your policy or premiums and hope for the best at this point.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry if I was not clear after I was run off the road I called USAA right away and went through there process and asked for a rental car. The next day I took it to there approved shop but they said they could not do the repair work and go to the dealer. 5 Minutes later I was at the dealer told him my concerns and what happened. I also told him the car was unsafe to drive and i cant maintain my lanes.

I then contacted USAA several times telling them the car is not safe to drive and I need a rental car. There exact words to me were we cant provide you a rental car until the claim adjuster speaks to the dealer and all the parts are ordered and ready to be put on the car unless the dealer says the car cant be driven safely however he told USAA the car was 100% safe to drive. It took 3 weeks for USAA to send me the check for repairs by that point I called them and said 1. I need a rental car and 2 I want to take it to an approved usaa body shop.

I have numerous corespondents asking for a rental car but like i said in order to get one the shop that did the first estimate would have to say the car was unsafe to drive but they said oh just the alignment is out, you need a new front hub assembly, and 2 new rims. Needless to say I will never go back to that dealer. They actually found more stuff wrong then what the dealer found.

I tried to limit how much i drove the car because i did not feel safe. This is the first time I have ever had a complaint about USAA.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first incident was not your fault....but your insurance still had to pay for it, the second was not your fault either...however there's prob no proof of the other vehicle running you off the road, so they will still classify it as an at fault incedent, the third is your fault (due to gross negligence driving a car that you admittedly knew was not roadworthy/safe)...so now in just a few months time the insurance has to pay to repair your vehicle 3 times, and a potential property damage claim from the owner of the brick and stucco wall you hit...and you admitted to driving a vehicle that you knew was not safe. The insurer will prob look on this as something similar (responsibility wise) to driving while impaired and classify you as extremely high risk, if they even want to keep you on their books...I wouldn't.
No damage was done to the brick or stucco. But i did ask numerous times for a rental car but they refused to give me one.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I understand you requested a rental and they didn't provide one. The responsibility still lies with the person who gets behind the wheel knowing the vehicle isn't safe to operate. You could have taken out another car and maimed/killed one or more people (or yourself) easily if something had happened at speed instead of in a parking lot, and you drove it knowing that...that should send up some definate red flags for the person/company fiscally responsible (insurance co)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't know the legal side of it, but it seems like there is a possibility that they would not even be responsible for paying for the third incident, if you admitted to them that you knew the vehicle was not road worthy and then drove it anyway

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with what you are saying however i don't have the funds to pay out of pocket for a rental car. And my other car is only insured to be driven too and from car shows.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know the legal side of it, but it seems like there is a possibility that they would not even be responsible for paying for the third incident, if you admitted to them that you knew the vehicle was not road worthy and then drove it anyway
When I asked for a rental car numerous times they said that it was road worthy and safe to drive according to the dealer. This was my reply back from the inturance " Unfortunately at this time since the shop is saying the vehicle is drivable, we are unable to get you into a rental vehicle as the rental is for the active repair time."

·
Registered
601 Posts
With no offense to the claims rep in this thread I can't stand insurance companies. That's all insurance not just auto. I think they are one of the biggest legal scams there are in the US. However, with that said, and I hate to admit it, doesn't sound like the insurance company was to blame here. They followed their rules which seem to be reasonable rules btw. I think your beef is with the dealership. If they said it was safe to drive and it wasn't then they are at fault here. Plus if you knew it wasn't safe to drive, and the insurance company wouldnt provide a rental unless the dealer said it was unsafe, I would have been on the phone with the dealer or at the shop and had him reevaluate the car. I would have had them sign something then stating they checked it out head to toe and it is 100% safe and putting it on THEIR Shoulders and their liability if something were to happen. If you put the responsibility on the dealer, he would have been on that phone ASAP with the insurance company saying its unsafe to drive. Nobody wants to be responsible for anybody else the way people sue these days. Unfortunately there is a VERY good chance your rates are going up. Sucks but it's the true. Only way around it know is if you have some kind of proof that the damage from accident 2 was the cause of accident 3. Good luck with that though.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I just spoke with my insurance company and even though I avoided the accident and hit the curb I am at fault even with witnesses. However they are aware that the secondary damage is due to not having a rental car and they have the dealer saying that the car is drivable in writing. I asked if I would be cancelled and they said no but my rates might go up slightly. Oddly enough I just went to the body shop to sign the papers so they can repair the drivers side rear fender and door. I also paid them for replacing my wheels, right front hub and rear control arm since they were all bent. They also had to do a 4 wheel alignment on my car 3 times to get it in spec the initial one was off the charts.

I was left with 1700.00 left over. I called the insurance company to let them know that there was extra money left over and I would like to give it back since it was not used. They told me to keep it, I made sure they noted that I called and offered the remainder of the money back. I also spoke with the underwriter and she double checked as well and also verified that the previous rep noted I offered the remainder back.

I should have my car back by the end of next week :) I am tempted to get a POS daily driver and have the challenger a weekend car and not my DD.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts