Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the challenger rt 6 speed dodge claims 376 hp at approx 5200 Rpms and 410 ft-lbs of torque. If you do the mathematical calculations for hp based off of the torque:

[(410 ft-lbs x 5200 Rpms) / standard value of 5252] = 405 hp...?

Anyone know how dodge calculates HP on their cars?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Edit: Doing the math for other cars I'm finding that this formula could not possibly be correct... Any help here lol?

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
They calculate it the same way as everyone else. The mistake in your thinking is that peak torque doesn't happen at the same point as peak HP. :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They calculate it the same way as everyone else. The mistake in your thinking is that peak torque doesn't happen at the same point as peak HP. :)

Ugh Duh! I should have thought about that lol. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still though, if you substitute 410 ft-lbs @ 4200 Rpms in the equation above, u end up with only 328 hp... Sooo?

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Still though, if you substitute 410 ft-lbs @ 4200 Rpms in the equation above, u end up with only 328 hp... Sooo?

Yeah...because peak HP doesn't happen when peak torque does. :D As you know, HP is a calculation based on torque and RPM. The only time you'll have torque = HP is at 5252 RPM.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah...because peak HP doesn't happen when peak torque does. :D As you know, HP is a calculation based on torque and RPM. The only time you'll have torque = HP is at 5252 RPM.

Dude you are really making me slap my forehead lmao.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts