Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on taking some pics of my car today to send to the scat pack guy to get a quote and/or take a trip to IN to at least look at those other two cars first...so I come out of work and notice the black piece under the back bumper hanging down. I think its called the rear diffuser on the mustang. I also noticed it looks like the plastic piece inside the passenger side wheel well is sticking out a little and missing some screws. On Saturday I ran into a rain storm on the way to work with small hail and all. I did hit a patch of water coming into town going about 50 that I didn't see and almost lost it going towards the curb, but thought I just barely missed it. I'm thinking it was probably just hitting the water going that fast that loosened some of the plastic pieces under the car.

So now what do I do? I'm not very mechanically inclined so my first thought is to take it to the repair shop and get a quote. They know me well there as I had a bad streak of hitting deer and small animals in my past cars. I think this is actually the first car I haven't had any repairs done to in my whole life. Do you guys think Insurance will cover it? Will that effect my trade in value if I claim it and if so should I just pay out of pocket if it isn't too bad and avoid the carfax? Or should I just forget it and go with my previous plan and take a hit on the trade in value? I was hoping for 3-4k equity, but if I could limit it to half of that I may still be ok, if not I may have to wait awhile and pay down my loan for several more months or a year.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,643 Posts
If you made no contact with anything other than a puddle of water chances are the "damage" is just some marginally attached plastic panel fasteners let go and one or more panels are loose.

See this often as I drive. I spot a car with something obviously hanging down under the car and if I get closer see it is just a loose panel.

Over the years/miles I have dealt with loose under body panels (with other cars) before so no biggie -- in fact I used to carry a bag of spare plastic rivets for just in case -- but if I elected to have some under body panel work done rather than attend to it msyself -- and I have a few times when a panel got severely damaged due to road debris and had to be replaced -- I just take the car to the dealer and have the tech replace the panel -- he orders it -- and when it comes in replace it along with fasteners and get the loose/damaged body panels secured and back where they belong.

Shouldn't take long cost very much and doesn't create a black mark on the car's history report.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Pay it out of pocket. Claiming it on insurance may cause your rates to go higher and will give your car a repair history.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, maybe it won't be that bad. Just drove down to the repair shop and found out they are closing for some reason, so I stopped by the Ford dealership and they can't look at it until tomorrow. There goes my plans of car shopping this week more than likely.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Haha man how does this warrant a forum post?

Just bolt up the paneling by purchasing the fasteners from Autozone, or have a shop do it. Then take pictures, sell your car, and go buy your new Challenger.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,477 Posts
Not everyone works on their cars, or has tools, or the space, or time...Just because you'd know what to do, doesn't make anyone who doesn't wrong. This is a Challenger Forum, he's asking for info from Challenger owners. This is the perfect place for it. If only everyone was the expert you guys are...

A Guy

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Not everyone works on their cars, or has tools, or the space, or time...Just because you'd know what to do, doesn't make anyone who doesn't wrong. This is a Challenger Forum, he's asking for info from Challenger owners. This is the perfect place for it. If only everyone was the expert you guys are...

A Guy
I was thinking the exact same thing! :) It's not like forum posts cost money or something - not sure why a question like this wouldn't "warrant" a post on this forum - it's the *perfect* place to ask these kinds of questions! I mean if you are not interested in a post, then ignore it and move on - pretty simple, really...

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I still think actually looking at the problem, as opposed to asking strangers who have no ability to see it without a picture (not included) is reasonable, however.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I agree that the OP should have provided some pictures, but the intent of the thread itself is perfectly valid. Instead of people asking for more information to actually help him (such as pictures), some people were questioning if the thread was "warranted". It's "warranted" becuase the guy was looking for some input on how to handle it. As @A Guy stated, not everyone is into the DIY repairs, for whatever reason. This guy was just looking for some input on how to handle the issue (submit to insurance, get it fixed out-of-pocket, etc).

But yes, pictures are kind of important to get good input on his questions. :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah, I guess I was stressing over nothing. It turned out just needing the plastic pieces bolted back up and a few new tabs for the wheel well, but looks to be no real damage and it cost me less than $50.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts