Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the great ways that this car handles, rides, looks, sounds.....why did Dodge decide to provide such a low-traction steering wheel on the 2011+?

Not sure how my R/T steering wheel compares with the SRT8 steering wheel---maybe that's a different story. But on mine, there are no finger grooves on the backside, no swells at the 10 o'clock & 2 o'clock positions, the large chunks of plastic at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions block some natural gripping, the leather is so taught and smooth that it offers almost zero tactile grip at temps below 60 degrees....I'm stumped.

Does the steering wheel annoy anyone else? How well do the Wheelskinz covers fit/work?

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
up grade

I was not real impressed with the steering wheel on my SRT8. I wanted a more aggressive look and feel. I felt there was nothing to hold on to while driving.
So when the Mopar10 came out and they put this type of steering wheel on it, I knew I had to switch.

Pricy "YES" ! But it's my ride and that's what I wanted. So I upgraded. :eek:hyeah:

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Funny you should bring this up. The first thing I noticed when I sat behind the wheel was how "clunky" the steering wheel design is.

Oh well, it is what is.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
Maybe I'm different, but I absolutely love the steering wheel in my (2009) R/T and wouldn't want to change it. I don't like funny bulges or buttons on it. Like many things, it is a personal thing.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,882 Posts
I have an 08 SRT

I would pay serious $$$$ to have the 2011 or up steering wheel, I hate the 08-10 Wagon-Wheel-parts-bin-mofo-minivan steering wheel!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I was not real impressed with the steering wheel on my SRT8. I wanted a more aggressive look and feel. I felt there was nothing to hold on to while driving.
So when the Mopar10 came out and they put this type of steering wheel on it, I knew I had to switch.

Pricy "YES" ! But it's my ride and that's what I wanted. So I upgraded. :eek:hyeah:

Mine needs replacing, where do I find this?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I LOVE the steering wheel in my 392 --and apparently so do most of the auto press

·
Registered
110 Posts
'13 SRT here & REALLY like the wheel...

If it wasn't so think I'd add a nice leather cover to protect it & increase the diameter. It fits my paws just fine & looks great to me. Flat bottom is just right.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I like the wheel too! I have large hands and it fits me perfectly. The leather wrapping is a nice touch as well.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I concur with the OP. The steering wheel in the R/T looks and feels like it came from a minivan parts bin.

Oh well, I bought the car for the engine, not the steering wheel. ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mopar has a very nice wheel available in their catalog..with a couple of insert color options..its on my future upgrade list.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've spent a LOT of time staring at the 12+ vs 8/9/10 steering wheels & the only solution I can come up with is to have a welding shop cut the center/splines out of a 8/9/10 & weld it into the center of a 12, then fab up mounting to use your old steering wheel buttons and/or airbag.

It's do-able, but won't be cheap. A new 12 SRT wheel is about 500, then figure at least $100 for a competent welding shop to do the weld work, then a few hours of your time with bondo & paint to get the buttons in.

I did the photoshop & this is what I came up with. Not quite 12+ good, but 100x better than it is stock. In this mock-up I used the old airbag because I was paranoid about getting the 12+ CAN-BUS to work with the pre-11 wiring. This way would be worry free.

I was planning on giving it a shot over winter but other things came up that needed the money. Maybe this spring?

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
For me, plastic on the wheel surface is a little strange. I put that on the same chart as the oval wheels on a few early model 50 & 60's Chrysler 300's that I have owned. If it gets you high, then enjoy it........

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Being one of those who complain about everything I started this thread a while back: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f39/steering-wheel-cover-suggestions-88657/

I also feel that the material is too slick and it's not even cold around here. Personally, I don't want any flats, bulges or slippery plastic/wood on a rim; I prefer a perfectly round, uniform and satisfyingly grippy one. Oh, everything will work in a straight line, like paddles, but when the car starts fighting you in the twisties or the city... the steering wheel has to provide a secure grip and be unobtrusive. The gimmicks have to go. I once tried smooth wood grips on a carry gun because it looked cool and I thought I'd draw faster... but after the first training session I dropped that for checkered wood and, even better, rubber. Amazing what the real world will teach ya!

So my solution is a cover. It's cheap and easy. It will also make the rim thicker which means better leverage. That vinyl one I had for about a minute worked awesomely... but even I couldn't let this happen to a Challenger. :icon_lol: So I turned again to Wheelskins, and the perforated leather gives a little more purchase on the rim, but it's not ideal for me. And if you want a pro-looking job you can have an upholstery shop cover the rim with suede or other tacky material: efficiency AND style.

Frankly, I think it's a much easier fix than wanting a different airbag cover, especially because of the rim's round shape on the R/T and SXT.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,882 Posts
I have a 2012 SRT and love the steering wheel. Some will complain about anything.
YEAH DUDE!!! You are not paying attention, I LOVE the steering wheels for 2011, 2012 and 2013 ect... I was complaining about the 2008-2010 steering wheel, do you know what they look like??? Good grief....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts