Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a new R/T. Was told it "doesn't sound like a sports or muscle car". Question for someone who isnt very mechanically handy... is there a decently inexpensive way to make it sound more "muscle" or at least a little better than it does stock?

Please help!!

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Go search for exhaust threads on the site, there are a lot of options to change the sound.

Solo exhaust is what I have and I believe they are 15% off through today.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
resonator delete (the big things below your back bumper right after the tips) or a cat back. A shop can your resonators off and weld in a pipe or you can go the "Blastin Bobs" route. You can always do a "poor mans cat back" and have a shop build you a system from the cats back. It just won't be stainless or have mandrel bends. Actually, of the stock Muscle cars, the Challenger sounds the best without any mods...

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Recently purchased a new R/T. Was told it "doesn't sound like a sports or muscle car". Question for someone who isnt very mechanically handy... is there a decently inexpensive way to make it sound more "muscle" or at least a little better than it does stock?

Please help!!
Why listen to what others tell you about YOUR car. It's what you think that counts...

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Sounds like you need Blasting Bobs resonator delete. Or just go to a good muffler shop and tell them to get rid of the two "big things" towards the back of the exhaust by the tips. That will open up the exhaust considerably but will also introduce drone.

If you want a drone free setup you should stick with the stock exhaust, or look towards a Corsa, Solo or Zoomers exhaust.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Why listen to what others tell you about YOUR car. It's what you think that counts...
Wise Words!

To the OP; you are not going to get that truly "old school muscle car sound". The VVT and cam will not give you that "lope" you are looking for. That is something many of us are chasing.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Wise Words!

To the OP; you are not going to get that truly "old school muscle car sound". The VVT and cam will not give you that "lope" you are looking for. That is something many of us are chasing.
I disagree. When looking for our Challenger we stopped at a Chevy dealership as there was a Challenger on the lot. Turned out to be owned by the sales manager. He had just had headers installed and that car sounded exactly like an old school muscle car!!! Even though we have had our exhaust system redone on our 2013 and it does sound great, my wife can't stop talking about getting headers installed so it will sound like the "one at the Chevy dealer". That car sounded absolutely amazing!

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
The nimrod who said that is....

Please help!!
FOS. The stock RT sounds great. If guys want to be louder, good. I like the way my car sounds. When I mash the accelerator....it sounds like mechanical music. My neighbor always comments how "good it sounds."

·
Banned
349 Posts
I agree with the folks that say these cars sound whimpy stock. IMO they do not sound like a muscle car. I can't speak for the SRT because I have not heard one that was stock. On the other hand, a stock Mustang and Camaro both sound better than a stock R/T Challenger. Again, this is my opinion. That is why after only 5 days I took mine to the muffler shop and had the mufflers whacked off. Then, just a few weeks later I stumbled onto a killer deal here on the forums for a set of resonator delete pipes and a pair of glass packs. Now the car sound better, but does need headers.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I think the exhaust sounds perfect as is....it sounds very much like a muscle car

do you want to hear a constant drone over your music?

I wouldn't change anything....overly loud exhaust is annoying

ive test driven a 5.0 and my SRT exhaust is much louder...I wasn't impressed with the 5.0 exhaust

when I start my SRT in my garage I can hear it through the whole house....I assume the RT is pretty much the same....no reason why Dodge would give it less...ive test driven RT's at the SRT track experience and to me the exhaust sounded the same as a SRT..

people who want louder exhaust just want everyone to look from a mile away.....its plenty loud as is and people a block away can still hear you

the fascination with loud exhaust reminds me of the Harley guys.....little do they know, but everyone under 40 years old laughs at them in their gay biker clothes/helmuts and their insane loud exhaust.....South Park had a good episode about them...I think most young people agree

leave your exhaust as is...put $$ into something to make your car faster, not just sound faster by being louder

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
The 5.0 sounds good too

But lots of people are "fooled" by the sound from inside the cabin, as it is louder than a Challenger because it is literally "piped in" (How PHONY and Cheesy is that?) by ducting. Plenty of Mustang guys upgrading exhausts, people always want more. As for RT's, there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between sound when comparing 6 speeds with A5's. The 6 speed has bigger/deeper sound. The 6 speed RT sounds similar to the SRT IMO.

I've recently modified my opinion about after market exhaust...(considering it....I know...I'm a Hypocrite...but a Friend of mine just put Borla's on his RT...they sound [email protected] Good).

Anyway, I spit beer through my nostrils when I read "Huggytrees" comment. Bit O' Truth here:

Q: "Ive test driven a 5.0 and my SRT exhaust is much louder...I wasn't impressed with the 5.0 exhaust

when I start my SRT in my garage I can hear it through the whole house....I assume the RT is pretty much the same....no reason why Dodge would give it less...ive test driven RT's at the SRT track experience and to me the exhaust sounded the same as a SRT..

people who want louder exhaust just want everyone to look from a mile away.....its plenty loud as is and people a block away can still hear you

the fascination with loud exhaust reminds me of the Harley guys.....little do they know, but everyone under 40 years old laughs at them in their gay biker clothes/helmuts and their insane loud exhaust.....South Park had a good episode about them...I think most young people agree

·
Registered
930 Posts
But lots of people are "fooled" by the sound from inside the cabin, as it is louder than a Challenger because it is literally "piped in" by ducting. Plenty of Mustang guys upgrading exhausts. As for RT's, there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between sound when comparing 6 speeds with A5's. The 6 speed has bigger/deeper sound. The 6 speed RT sounds similar to the SRT IMO.

I have a 6-speed SRT and park next to a co-worker with a 6-speed R/T. They sound similar, but not the same. The R/T idle is very tame right from start-up, but the SRT lopes and sputters a little at first. For the first 30 seconds are so it sounds like an old-school big-block, due to its "bigger" cam profile mainly. Once its warm, they sound more similar but the SRT is still a skosh deeper and noticeably louder.

Never noticed any difference between the exhaust sound of an automatic vs. manual.

Stock-to-stock, I think the Challenger sounds better than a Mustang or Camaro. They're just too mild. The Challenger sounds deceptively quiet *inside* the car because the car itself is the best insulated and soundproofed of the three, but outside its quite a bit meaner. :)

·
Banned
349 Posts
It may be too that for those of us who have actually owned old school muscle and driven them for years and years, the new muscle cars are just WAY TOO tame when it comes to the sound of these cars. It's almost pathetic in my opinion. I am 45 years old and I have exceptional, above average hearing and when we bought our R/T there were times when I wasn't even sure if the thing was still running. Now in saying this, I do not care for the drone at all that you get when the resonators are removed, I am hoping once the headers go on and a better cat back set up this will be more under control and a better, deeper muscle sound will be achieved.

For me, it's not about being loud, it's about the car sounding as mean as it's looks. And in it's stock form this is definitely NOT happening IMO!

·
Registered
217 Posts
R/Ts sound like a prius stock. If you want safe route, resonator delete at muffler shop, 100 or less. I also changed the mufflers to flowmaster 40s and love it. 350 for both out the door. To me, blastin bob reso delete is a rip off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
What he said...

[QUOTE=
I have a 6-speed SRT and park next to a co-worker with a 6-speed R/T. They sound similar, but not the same. The R/T idle is very tame right from start-up, but the SRT lopes and sputters a little at first. For the first 30 seconds are so it sounds like an old-school big-block, due to its "bigger" cam profile mainly. Once its warm, they sound more similar but the SRT is still a skosh deeper and noticeably louder.

Never noticed any difference between the exhaust sound of an automatic vs. manual.

Stock-to-stock, I think the Challenger sounds better than a Mustang or Camaro. They're just too mild. The Challenger sounds deceptively quiet *inside* the car because the car itself is the best insulated and soundproofed of the three, but outside its quite a bit meaner. :) End Q)

Me: I recently ordered a 392. During my second test drive, I paid particular attention to "sound." After driving the M6 RT, for 8 months, I can tell you. without a doubt, the SRT sounds better. They are VERY similar, but the SRT is slightly louder (Big Sound comes on at 2.5K RPM. The RT does not get the "throaty" sound until 3.5K RPM)
I test drove A5 RT's. They do sound good. But there is a huge difference in sound between them and 6 speeds.

Late Entry" HemiOrangeRT Q: "It may be too that for those of us who have actually owned old school muscle and driven them for years and years, the new muscle cars are just WAY TOO tame when it comes to the sound of these cars. It's almost pathetic in my opinion. I am 45 years old and I have exceptional, above average hearing and when we bought our R/T there were times when I wasn't even sure if the thing was still running. Now in saying this, I do not care for the drone at all that you get when the resonators are removed, I am hoping once the headers go on and a better cat back set up this will be more under control and a better, deeper muscle sound will be achieved."

Me: Agree. But I'm not so sure that your hearing is as good as the "old days." I'm 48, and my hearing is "shot." Yeah, the old cars were LOUD, but most were "noise makers." I like a good sounding motor...but not one where the "bark is LESS than the bite." Consider this, Porsche, Ferrari and Lambo buyers never gave a "rat's @ss" about how LOUD their cars were. I recently posted that I had a "change of heart." I suppose I want LOUDER sound because I may be a "Bit of a HIC" myself."

·
Premium Member
9,196 Posts
In my SRT with the radio on and not too loud I couldn't hear my engine to know when to shift gears. Adding the exhaust to the car and now it sounds like it should have from the beginning.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts