Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most amazing thing happened last night, it was around 7pm and I mashed the gas pedal and my car raised its whole front and my steering wheel started to move like crazy. I felt the whole backside of the car sit low and the front rise up. It was insane! very awesome. It was 50 degrees outside, and I barely went over 4k rpms. I don't know what gear the car went crazy on, it was great though. Very satisfied. Lol.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Yeah I know exactly what you mean, It's a Challenger thing!:burnout:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Most amazing thing happened last night, it was around 7pm and I mashed the gas pedal and my car raised its whole front and my steering wheel started to move like crazy. I felt the whole backside of the car sit low and the front rise up. It was insane! very awesome.

>>>sounds like the factory sold you a Gasser

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fan-of-Dodge-Challenger/446115108789757

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol, I wish. Everyone probably feels that but since I've babied it until recently I'm just too excited at how fast it is for its size. I got over 5k RPMS in 1st gear never in the other gears cause I got scared lol. I'm just really happy with the car, even if I have the 18 inch bland wheels :(

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I actually got something very similar to torque steer yesterday... I'm slowly sneaking up on a 0-60 WOT run. :11:

Geez, what I've been missing all these years driving slugmobiles.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Czechman I tried 0-60 and got 9 seconds. I just wanted to see what the timer does lol. People are fearless when they hammer these cars. Oddly enough when I would drive my brothers 350z that thing would always want to rev high, but this car never does and when I do rev it out I'm fearing for my life. My brother and I test drove a 370z this past weekend cause he wants a newer Z and when I floored it the torque wasn't there. I'm not going to lie when I hear people say the RT only has 370 HP I'm like damn it's weak compared to the SS and GT but atleast the torque is there and I don't have to abuse it to have fun.

@salvy59 I have an auto, lol. Too small for me! Daytona, SRT or BBS wheels would be perfect! and also lowering springs would make it awesome! The car is awesome though stock or not, I love it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just wondering, how does it feel when you hit 5k RPMS in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th? I just know that when I hit 3k to 4k it feels like it's a bullet and by the time I look down i'm going way over the speed limit.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Wait until you.........

Your on an open road going about 70 MPH and you stomp on the gas and when it shifts from 4th to 5th gear (auto)
it is already going 120 MPH NOW that feels real good!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I also have an auto with the 18" wheels (originally - she now proudly sports 17" rims!). It's a base model with fairly supple suspension like yours probably is, and this will give you a 'lively' ride when you push the car. I like it that way and I'm probably one of the very few here not averse to body roll. I suspect that the sportier setups (like the STP cars) are more planted and give you less, um, sensations. They'll also be more efficient... if being able to double the speed limit everywhere is not enough for you. :icon_wink:

I shifted with my window down around 4,000 not too long ago and could clearly hear the tires chirp when I hit 2nd (TC & ESP off, as per my usual protocol). I'm also used to the hood leaps when I get on it in 1st or 2nd. All this is more exciting and enjoyable to me than making marginally better times or being thrown back harder in my seat, by the way, and it's personal taste.

If you are a bit nervous for now, please take it slow. One day, eventually, you'll floor it and yawn - that's why people say that 370 HP is "meh". Depends on what you're used to. But I hear you: in the real world, and with a stock/base setup, it's a lot of car and it should be handled with respect. It's actually frustrating to be over the speed limit anytime you so much as tickle the gas pedal. Constant coitus interruptus. This is about a 5" car in the 0-60, by the way. The slowest time I got was a little under 7" and that was due to a grin-inducing burnout.

How it feels at 5,000 depends on how accustomed to it you are. The Charger I had before it kinda blew my mind for a while coming from a sedate Crown Vic (and with no resos it was a real screamer), but now, even with 30 HP extra I kinda wish I had more. I'm still not quite used to how quickly the engine rushes to the redline, however, and I never use sport mode because of that: I hated every time I bounced off the limiter. With the VVT the 5.7 feels like it's raging, not climbing, up the rpms once past 3,500 or so. Hello rolling burnouts... :thumbsup:

To me, it's a very healthy car, but it never feels scary or out of control. I've only driven RWD cars, most with V8s, for 30 years, though. Peruse the forum and you'll find horror stories from people who got in a little over their heads too soon, so enjoy responsibly!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
It only adds to the fun factor when you see your Shaker scoop torque to the right during a high rpm shift.

>>>Why do I feel like I'm being influenced here lol

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I agree with USRWDV8, I see we both have the same taste and feel coming from our car!!

I I'm very curious to putting front sway bar on my 2012 base R/T, I think it would make the ride feeling a little tight around town, what do you guys think? (I don't track my car so I rather not have my car lowered then what it is)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TC and ESP is 2 different things? I always press the off button next to sport mode, lol. Oddly enough I never use sport, it revs too fast. STP is just suspension correct? If so aftermarket would surely provide great choices. Lol, I don't downshift in fear that I might mess up the tranny. The speed isn't what scares me it's the way the speed is obtained. I drive my v6 altima and hit 100 and I'm not scared cause it feels stable also in a 350 it feels like I'm sticking to the ground but in the RT going 100 is like a train. I feel like I'm going way faster and the fact that it's a tank with super skinny tires makes me panic. The other day my friend was teasing me because I paid 4k more to have a couple more horses than his SXT, 4k is a ton of money and the cars look alike but I think without the V8 I would be unhappy. Initially I was looking at an SXT plus and it got sold under me, so I figured it was a sign and purchased an RT lol.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Side note, every single guy under 25 in Sacramento has a blacked out 5.0 I've never realized that so many people have them until recently when they mug me down.

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
Love how my R/TC's front end "pulls up" at WOT................and "goes down" when I let off the gas. Especially interesting at night, looks like I'm flashing the high beams. LOL

Hope that it still does this when I get the Mopar Stage 1's on!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Love how my R/TC's front end "pulls up" at WOT................and "goes down" when I let off the gas. Especially interesting at night, looks like I'm flashing the high beams. LOL Hope that it still does this when I get the Mopar Stage 1's on!

>>>No way John53, the Mopar stage 1's or any other after market will not give you the flex like the stock springs and shocks do not that i have experienced any of the after market stuff but it sounds logical to me...

another example: people who drag race there cars do not put anything stiffer in the back rear end they keep soft shocks and springs in the back for reasons, when the car squats down on that torque, gives more traction! you have to decide what you are really looking for!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts