Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ChallengerTalk!

Bit of an introduction for my odd posting here. I work for the US Government, and my work keeps me posted overseas. I've got my next assignment, which I'm rather excited about. One big problem...I was looking at the vehicle import laws and, in order for me to bring my car with me....it must have amber turn signals (and red brake lights).

I've had no luck surfing the web for aftermarket lights/panels for the rear. :scratchhead: I'd really hate to go two years without my beloved challenger! Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!
-GC

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't think you're going to find any aftermarket rear amber lights specifically for the challenger, I see you having to fabricate some custom rear lighting into the bumper or rear tail light section.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
There was a thread about this on one of the Mustang boards, Mustangs have the same problem. The consensus there was to mod the reverse light wiring and add amber bulbs, so that the reverse lights would become the rear turn signals. The add white LEDs on either side of the license plate for reverse lights. The only problem with that on the Challenger is that the reverse lights are in the middle.

You might want to check into law-enforcement grade LEDs. Maybe you could use some 3M double-sided tape and mount amber LEDs on the outside of your taillight lens as a turn signal, run the wiring thru the trunk. It would not look the best, but you would (hopefully) be in compliance with the law and the changes to the car would not be permanent.

Whelen, Federal Signal, Able 2, Sho Me, 911ep, Axixtech - Strobes N' More

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was afraid I was going to hear news like that... The reverse light idea my work, but again, being in the center. I could probably do a board up and build a really small sequential system in the center...time to start looking and hitting up my local electronics shops... Thanks!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Where overseas are you going. Is the Challenger available there? If it is, it must be compliant. Just switch out the lights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello World Challenger,

I´m from Germany and here we have the some issue - rear indicator have to flash amber and not red!

There are 2 (and even more) options how to solve this problem:

1. Clean and best looking solution:
Add a really strong amber LED into the original lamp housing. Believe me, it will flash amber, even through the original red housing! I´ll go that route. There are many other people with Mustangs, US-Audi´s etc. going this way.

2. Easy solution:
Add a very thin LED light just below the taillights as shown in the attached picture. It works as well - but it´s not really nice (at least in my opinion).

It´s up to you!

Regards
Gregor

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gregrider,
Thanks for the thoughts. I've actually been thinking of using the Hyper-Yellow lights for my blinker lights...just wasn't sure if they'd really be amber or not behind the red panel. If you've seen it and can vouch...I'll give it a shot.

The only thing that worries me is that, from what I can tell, the blinkers and the brake lights are dual-filament single-bulbs....not sure if i can get a 'red-yellow' combo dual-filament...time to hit google again!

Cheers!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Get on of those light bars they use on Pick-ups, it would run all the way across, and may look cleaner. I'm sure they come in amber too. Same mounting under or over you existing tail lights. You could also possibly cut the top black part above the lights to make them a more custom look. I would not think that part would be moch to replace when you com back home.
Jeff
Jeff

·
Banned
557 Posts
I have an uncle that rebuilds old cars. When I say old, to him anything 60's+ is new. Great tastes no doubt as I love all the stuff he has done.

Anyhow, my point being, in a lot of the older stuff (30's, 40's, 50's) it is common for hotrodders to take and do blue dot inserts. When done properly, it makes the lights look purplish (red + blue = purple). Using the same theory, you could run yellow dots and possibly create an orange. I've never seen it, just thinking out loud. And it may not be your style/preference but a possible solution.

This place has various colors, including yellow/amber. Only $8/pair.

Glass Dots, Reflectors and Traffic Light Viewers

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Sell the car. When you come home, buy a new one. Save the money on the shipping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For those finding themselves in need of a similar fix, I present to you the perfect solution. These lights have 60x LED's, 30 white that activate on solid power, and 30 yellow that activate on teh blink. They are a direct replacement to the in-place bulbs. The yellow is bright enough to be amber through the red lens.

Dual Color Switch-Back 3157 3057 4157 LED Bulbs For Turn Signal Lights

·
Registered
22 Posts
This LED is suited for the front if you need white parking light and amber flashing.

But what about the back lights? Normal light, braking light and indicator are all red. So just replacing the OEM bulb with this LED will not help as you would get an amber braking signal...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts