Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get the 20in Cragar style wheels with black spokes. Both Boss and American Racing make the exact same style, with the AR wheels costing a bit more I think. Any reason why one would be better than the other?

Also on the rim width, there is 8.5 and 10in. Any reason one would be better than the other?

·
Registered
210 Posts
American Eagle Wheels (makers of Boss Motorsport): Made in USA

American Racing: Made in China

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
I'm looking to get the 20in Cragar style wheels with black spokes. Both Boss and American Racing make the exact same style, with the AR wheels costing a bit more I think. Any reason why one would be better than the other?

Also on the rim width, there is 8.5 and 10in. Any reason one would be better than the other?
it really comes down to looks and going with a 10" in back you can get the staggered look and put some larger tires out back. Also Cragar does make a 5 spoke wheel :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes but the Cragar wheels are a LOT more expensive, they don't come in black, and I can't find where to buy them for the Challenger anywhere.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yes but the Cragar wheels are a LOT more expensive, they don't come in black, and I can't find where to buy them for the Challenger anywhere.
That's true - I run 20 x 9 Cragar 610Cs (5 spoke) on my SRT8. They only come in the chrome finish, and most tire shops don't carry the brand. I got mine from Summit Racing.

I thought of ARs as an alternative initially, but they were only available in 8.5 and 10 inch widths on the rims I was looking at and I didn't want to go staggerd. Still, a nice choice with ARs, and they do offer the black spokes.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey actually the American Racing Cragar style is 5 spoke also. :) AMERICAN RACING - TORQ-THRUST-M - Wheels

I'll have to do some thinking on the staggered look... what happens when you need to rotate them? Wider front tires would look retarded lol. Also will the 8.5 vs the 10 make any difference in traction etc, or is it strictly looks?

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you go staggerd, rotation is out - so treadlife is less on all 4. The wider patch o' rubber on the road, the better you stick to it under most conditions - so you should get better traction from a wider tire. For daily driving purposes, however, you won't notice much if any difference between the two widths (8.5 rims will give you about a 10" patch on the ground; 10" rims a 12" patch - both are pretty wide) - at the track is where any actual benefit is, so yes - look is the prime factor in practical terms if you're talking daily driver application alone.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah I think the staggered look is out based on that alone, plus the car is so low, who would ever notice staggered tires lol. For reference, how wide are the stock 18in R/T wheels?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As big as the car is, I think the 10"s will look awesome

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm looking to get the 20in Cragar style wheels with black spokes. ... Also on the rim width, there is 8.5 and 10in. Any reason one would be better than the other?
I just went through this very problem. I couldn't decide between Boss 338's and Torq-M's. Finally decided on the 338's in chrome only to be told they had discontinued making the 20x10 wheels. I ended up going to the Torq's in chrome, 20x8.5 front, 20x10 rear. I went with a 10" read because I went with a 295 tire.

Only reason for going to a 10" wheel would be if you intend to go much larger than a 255 or 265 size tire.

My 295's and new wheels will be mounted tomorrow, can't wait to see how its going to look. I pulled the rears off this evening and put them in my truck to get swapped. Noticed the rears were significantly more worn than the fronts.

Rears must have had bad rubber or something :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please do post a pic of how those tires look!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I will sometime this weekend. I'm getting the tires mounted to the wheels this morning then going to come back and put them on the car and head out for a little 3-day road trip. I know the 295's really look big sitting in the back of my truck.

If I have time I'll post a quick picture later this morning.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Finally decided on the 338's in chrome only to be told they had discontinued making the 20x10 wheels.
Not True. We still produce 20x10 5-115 Chrome Boss 338.

Bryan

Warehouse Manager for American Eagle Wheel

·
Registered
210 Posts
295/40-20 on Boss 338s

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Not True. We still produce 20x10 5-115 Chrome Boss 338.

Bryan
Warehouse Manager for American Eagle Wheel
l
I am really pissed right now. I wanted 338's and went through a forum vendor who told me they had been discontinued so I went with my second choice. So, $1,400.00 later I find out I could have had my first choice??? Yeah... I'm pissed.

Captured from their website in response to asking about the 338's in chrome 20x10:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Here you go. These are the Torq Torque Thrust M's, staggered 20x8.5 front and 20x10 rear with a 295/40/20 rear tire and a 245/45/20 front tire. According to my GPS my speedometer is now dead on at 70. With the stock tires 70 was actually 69.

The rear tires rubbed on the inside front of the rear when it was on the jackstands but once I let it down everything was fine. Fit good, but wouldn't want to stick much larger under the rear with these wheels and offsets.

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very very nice indeed! This car has no problems with big wheels.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts