Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my 2016 Challenger to a local audio shop to have a sub/amp installed. About a month later it all stopped working. Did some trouble shooting and made some changes. This amp was 1000W and changed out the gauge of the ground wire. Swapped it out and I was still blowing fuses each time I hooked up the battery.

Did some online research and I was convinced that the unit was bad so I replaced it.

The shop installed a AudioControl LC2iB to tap into the rear speakers.

So I took it upon myself to continue to trouble shoot, this time I added a different amp 1600W with 2 12's to see what happened. Wired it all up and boom! Both internal fuses in the amp pop, not good. Did more trouble shooting, replaced the power line to a bigger gauge just incase there was a short somewhere. Powered it up, boom more fuses blown.

Then I took a look at the AudioControl: the installer tapped into the power that was going to the amp, to power the unit. They did the same with with the ground wire. Could this be the actual issue? Should the AudioControl have it's own source? Strait from the batt or?? I am running out of ideas, and about to take the set up back to the shop I originally took it too. Never had so many problems with an install. Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,821 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk. I can't help you specifically, but if you are blowing fuses you are drawing too many amps. If it does this on power attach, without audio load, you have a dead short. Can you isolate the amp from the AudioControl, and the speakers? If so, and it does not blow, reconnect speakers. If it still doesn't blow...well, you either have a bad AudioControl, or it was wired wrong, etc. I know this may sound obvious, but you need to isolate the amp 1st. If you blow fuses with just the amp, either the amp is bad, or you have a short in the wiring. Hopefully others with audio installation experience will reply. A Guy

·
Registered
32 Posts
The AudioControl LC2iB will not draw enough power to pop fuses if they tapped off of the 12v coming from the battery, however I don't feel it's the safest thing to do as that means the LC2i will get power all the time. I ran mine to a switched 12v in a previous vehicle (the cigarette lighter is what I ran to), and made sure that the LC2i was grounded to the ground wire coming from the amp. Never had issues.

I agree with A Guy above - isolate your amplifier first. Don't hook it to speakers or the AudioControl LC2i. However, you had this installed by a shop. Take it back to them, they should warranty their work and fix it for you if you aren't comfortable with this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for tips folks. I will isolate the amp and start from there. Initially power for the Audiocontrol was coming off from the amp. For the heck of it I ran a separate wire out to it to see what happens. Didn't get a chance to see the results since it was getting late but I will check it out and get back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The AudioControl LC2iB will not draw enough power to pop fuses if they tapped off of the 12v coming from the battery, however I don't feel it's the safest thing to do as that means the LC2i will get power all the time. I ran mine to a switched 12v in a previous vehicle (the cigarette lighter is what I ran to), and made sure that the LC2i was grounded to the ground wire coming from the amp. Never had issues.

I agree with A Guy above - isolate your amplifier first. Don't hook it to speakers or the AudioControl LC2i. However, you had this installed by a shop. Take it back to them, they should warranty their work and fix it for you if you aren't comfortable with this.

Yeah the problem is that they didn't do that initially. Tapped from the amp. Could that of killed the LC2?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: so I rewired the hot and ground for the LC2. Then double checked my connections to the amp. Noticed that I had the polarity reversed (That'll teach me to do this when it is getting dark out). Fixed that, replaced the fuses and it worked. So there were two things that were messed up. The wiring for the LC2 (hence why my other amp wasn't working) and then my on mistake.

Anyhow, it is all working and was fine tuned. Happy with what I got. Thank you for the tips and help. Isolating the amp was what helped me realize my own mistake and seeing the recommendation to run the LC2's own wire.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,821 Posts
Well, glad you got it sorted ;)

A Guy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts