Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2010 challenger and i wanted to install subs and a amp. i took it to a pretty good audio shop and had them install it (cost me 210 dollars). the system worked for a day and a half before the subs cut off, and then would come back on and then cut off again and all it does now when it is hooked up is go into protect mode every three seconds. i thought the deck was the problem so i forked out more money for a new deck, not the problem. Took it back for the shop to re-look at it anf they said it was the amp. My buddy who has a 2007 jeep commander has the same subs and amp. we pulled my amp out of my car and put it on his system and the amp works fine and then tried switching his amp into my car and it is the same problem. The way the audio shop hooked it up is as follows: Power wire heading to battery in the trunk; remote wire heading to fuse box in the trunk (specifically the cigarette lighter fuse); grounded to the seat bolt that is connected behind the drivers side passenger seat. I re-ran the remote wire to the remote wire spot in the wiring harness on the deck and still have the same problem. i for the life can not figure this out can anyone help? i really dont have the money to get any new equipment..

Here is the audio stuff i have
DECK: Kenwood MPC-245
AMP: Kicker ZX750.1
SUBS: Kicker CVR12 (PAIR)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
What gauge wiring are you using.... It reccomends: 4-gauge power and ground leads with 80-amp fuse recommended. Maybe the ground connection is not sufficient enough for the load.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am running 4 gauge wire and the amp has 2 x 40 fuses in it. last night we bought another amp at walmart to see if that was the problem and it worked, however it was a stereo amp and could not push the subs....

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Sounds like a ground issue. Where is the amp mounted? Sounds like a sketch shop, it's easy to do your self, I highly recommend it.

Find the ground wire... it should be grounded to a metal spot that is part of the main chassis and not a welded area or indirect area, the area should also be sounded down to shiny metal and be secured down tightly.

EDIT: Reading > Me

Relocate the ground. And if that does not take care of it, take pictures of the ground and we can go from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the ground is right behind the driver side passenger seat. they have it hooked to the bolt that keeps seat bracket mounted. if it is a grounding issue, where is the best place to mount it in the trunk? I appreciate all your guys help!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I forget what it looks like exactly, could you take a picture of the ground?

If the amp is on the back seat, or near it, I would just go straight down to the floor of the trunk. Remember shiny metal, sand it down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correction, it is not on the bracket, it is screwed into the plate right there. It was not sanded, just screwed in and the metal adapter on the wire is connected to the painted metal. i have attached a photo, hopefully it comes through.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It doesn't look bad, unscrew and sand it down and see what happens. Next step would be to check your power fuse. Also check voltage at the amp, should be 12v.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i sanded down the paint where it was at and when i went to touch the ground to the bare metal it sparked. i re-hooked everything up and it is finally working. all the other stuff is reading where it should be and now my problem is fixed. thanx for all you help!!!!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Glad to hear! You should go back to the shop and let them know they shouldn't half ass their installs. It literally takes 2 minutes max to sand it down to bare metal, and you would of never had an issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
already ahead of you on this one, i got thier manager and told him how the joker told me my amp was bad and tried to get me to buy a new one..... it wasnt pretty at the store for him..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts