Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 challenger rt shaker with non alpine system...I just changed out factory speakers..does my car have an amp built in and if so how can I upgrade it maybe a plug and play....any help is appreciated

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got my challenger but I did the stereo in my ram. So I'm gonna say you have no amp in the basic audio system.

And it's not really plug in play. You would need to get a LOC(line output converter) and catch a full signal which I think you can pull off the rear speaker wires and that will give you rcas for a amp

·
Super Moderator
15,351 Posts
If you have the base 6 speaker system (2 dash, 2doors & 2 rear deck) then its probably in the head unit.
-this would be in a base R/T Shaker (cloth interior)

The 276w Sound Group system was the next option up - that has an outboard digital amp.

If you had an outboard amp - its in the lower dash below IP cluster, to left of column, above the parking brake mechanism.

In the earlier years if you had an automatic (A5), the TCM is right next to the amp as well in that area.

Not sure if the A8 application still has that - haven't pulled apart a more recent year.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If I don’t have a factory amp how hard is it to put an amp to those 6 speakers?

I have a 2014 RT, with the base 6 speaker Boston Acoustic system. From everything I have learned it has a 275(something like that) watt amp in the dash. If it didn't, it would make things a lot easier for me.

I have an aftermarket head and switching that did not change the fact that the signal to the door speakers is still mid bass, also the sound was improved as well as volume even though the head does not have any amplifier built in. So my conclusion is that the vehicles amp is not built into the head, but in the dash as I mentioned. Iv seen others talk about this and actually have pictures of it.

If you want to put your own amp in with the stock head, Rockford Fosgate makes a device (DSR1) that replaces the factory amplifier that converts the signals like the stock amplifier does with a clean signal to the amp of your choice. The stock head unit does not control the volume, the frequencies (bass, mid, treble) or balence, the amplifier does this and is why, if you keep your stock head, you need this to bypass the amp.

My head was the basic Uconnect with no touch screen, that only controls the radio. So loosing that wasn't any sweat off my brow. But if you have a touch screen that controls everything, this may be worth thinking about before trying to replace it. I wouldn't personally.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts