Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After parking in the parking lot at work yesterday morning and steeling myself for the arduous day ahead, I grabbed my Challenger's inside door handle and pulled backward to fling open that portal and march into my destiny, much like I have been doing every morning for the last few years there. However, this morning was different - my attempt to exit my LX was met with DISASTER:

I guess I should not have been surprised that the door handle broke on me so easily and so completely. I mean, with my titanically muscular arms and shoulders, it is a miracle that the handle held out this long before breaking quite frankly. But all that aside, I was in a pickle. I still had lunch and the commute home to think about. What if I was forced to exit the vehicle for some reason? No one likes to be seen having to roll down the window and reach out to open the door from the outside just to get out...how boorish!!

So I knew my jerry rigging skills were about to get put to the test...

The Challenge: Come up with some sort of temporary fix to allow the door to be opened from the inside at least 2 more times.

The first attempt involved some hastily broken-off pieces of things I thought would bolster rigidity and bond with Super Glue. So I whipped this fix up before going into the office that morning, hoping to have a workable fix dried and ready to test by lunctime:

Sadly, only one test was performed, and it was an abject failure. So on to plan B - Lost the support parts and just go straight Epoxy!!

Given that it was 5 minute Epoxy, I was able to test that attempt out by the end of lunch, and surprisingly enough, it held together for one successful door open. But I knew it would not last many more, if any. So I had to scrap the Lone-Epoxy approach and bring in some real muscle for the 3rd try - a piece of aluminum I broke off something a while back, and even MORE epoxy!!

And that one truly proved to be the charm! By the time it dried, it was so stout, I was seriously waffling on whether or not I even needed to order the replacement door handle. I mean, heck, my jerry-rigged one is twice as strong as the OE one I bet. So why go backward on that by replacing it with a weak-assed OE one?!?!

I know, I know, because my jerry-rigged one looks like hammered dog crap....I get it, I'm not THAT obtuse (though I dislike trying to Feng Shui any car's interior!). So I am still going to replace this perfectly functional one with a suspiciously weak OE one just as soon as they can ship me one. But I will never forget the day I was challanged to come up with an impromptu jerry-rig for my own car, and I answered with a resounding, 'BLAMMO!!"

Nuke, OUT!!

P.S. Here is an Obligitory action pic of my miraculous work, just in case you still don't believe it worked like I described:eek:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Great work Nuke. We need to continue this thread with other Jerry-rig stories. Vice-grips on column shifters and door handles, chicken-wire for grilles, coffee cans and old license plates for sheet-metal repair. Sometimes it was out of necessity, and others times it was because we had no cabbage to fix it right.

I once made "hillbilly air conditioning" in my '79 Chevy Pickup by freezing gallon milk jugs of water (solid), placing a couple on the passenger side floor board (in a pan so they wouldn't slide around), open the side-floor vent and crack the driver side window. As long as I was moving, I had ice cold air moving across me.

In the same truck, I made my own cruise control. The gas pedal had an angle to a point on the bottom left. Between the stiff connecting rod between the pedal and carburetor and the soft vinyl flooring, once at the desired highway speed, I'd swivel the gas pedal until the pointed part hit the vinyl floor, press it into the vinyl flooring (there was some padding underneath) until it stuck, and....voila, cruise control. Once the pedal was stuck to the vinyl, I could adjust the speed with slight tapping of the top of the pedal with my toe, and a swift lift of the pedal, removed the cruise control.

·
Premium Member
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great work Nuke. We need to continue this thread with other Jerry-rig stories. Vice-grips on column shifters and door handles, chicken-wire for grilles, coffee cans and old license plates for sheet-metal repair. Sometimes it was out of necessity, and others times it was because we had no cabbage to fix it right.
Ironically enough, I just happen to have another Jerry-Rig I can enter into the mix here - the remote access cable I installed to be able to operate the emergency release handle inside my trunk:

Some might question why I would want to remotely access my trunk’s emergency release handle when I have a perfectly good electric switch to actuate the trunk latch on my dash. To those folks I would ask, “who told you it was perfectly good?!? It ain’t worked in 2 weeks now!!”

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I gotta ask, how much duct tape you got in the trunk? The way things are going, you might want to invest in a few rolls!/forums/images/ChallengerTalk_2014/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png
Well, as a matter of fact, there is a good chance that you will find quite a bit of duct tape in my trunk at any given time...but that's only if I were to allow you to look in there, which I would never do...unless you're good at keeping secrets...and you have no problem with me transporting my hookers in, errr, you know what, never mind!

Please disregard this accidental post, it was a butt-dial!!

PRANK CALLER, PRANK CALLER!!!

·
Premium Member
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Duct Tape. The Handyman's Secret Weapon. If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. Duct Tape Forever.

Red Green's Duct Tape Forever from Duct Tape Forever (2002)
Having never heard of a movie with such a title, I followed your link to see just what kind of movie we were dealing with here. So imagine my surprise and eventual disappointment when I could not get the linked trailer to start playing.

That forced my hand actually, as I decided I would learn something, ANYTHING, about this movie so I could figure out just what kind of movie we were dealing with here. So I backtracked from the trailer page and hit the movie’s entry on IMDB.com. Surely I would receive some satisfaction from that site, right?

Wrong.

I read the page from top to bottom, and I got no usable info.

Nothing

Nathan

Nada

Zilch

Zero

Bumpkiss

But it did state the movie won an award for music soundtrack or something, which made it even weirder I had never heard of the movie and couldn’t find any info it anywhere either.

That sealed it!! I was going to find out SOMETHING about this award winning movie if it killed me!!

And some subsequent sleuthing did turn up this jewel of a movie review: http://www.hit-n-run.com/cgi/read_review.cgi?review=53623_jd

At last, some information! Though it ultimately wasn’t a huge help in deciding on whether or not I should try to find the movie and watch it, so that was irksome I must say.

I feel like I’m right on the cusp of ‘getting it’, of understanding this award winning movie’s appreal. If only I could figure out what the reviewer was trying to say when he added this simile to his review on the flick:

‘But at ninety minutes, ‘Duct Tape Forever’ drags like Chretien's final term in office.”

Huh?!?

Sooo, is that good or bad??

What does it even mean?!?!

This is all your fault @K-Dawg! I blame you for my fragile mental state right now!! ARRRGH!!

I need something to calm me down...something good...I wonder if anyone is walking on Harry Hines this early in the day...

BRB!!

·
Registered
2015 sxt
71 Posts
Wow, I think your right. Yours is stronger looking even, lol. But yea, NO it can not stand, olo backwards we must go but maybe reinforce the backside with something similar if you think it will only happen again,. Good Job, I'd be a drilling and clamping hose clamping fool and the like and not even get it looking that good the end. Great Job I say.>:):pokeowned:

·
Registered
2015 sxt
71 Posts
NUKE! What coffee are you drinking or maybe injecting, I've got to get some of that. lol I read it and he talk gibberish and says nothing of the movie at all but who's in it as and that's it? weird alert. BRB ok well wait....lol

·
Registered
2015 sxt
71 Posts
Ironically enough, I just happen to have another Jerry-Rig I can enter into the mix here - the remote access cable I installed to be able to operate the emergency release handle inside my trunk:

Some might question why I would want to remotely access my trunk’s emergency release handle when I have a perfectly good electric switch to actuate the trunk latch on my dash. To those folks I would ask, “who told you it was perfectly good?!? It ain’t worked in 2 weeks now!!”
Good thing the emergency release don't send out a GPS locator responder when you pull it>:). That's the next thing they are thinking of adding to that pull cord in future models so they can track down the vehicle of an abductor.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good thing the emergency release don't send out a GPS locator responder when you pull it>:). That's the next thing they are thinking of adding to that pull cord in future models so they can track down the vehicle of an abductor.:surprise:
Yes that is a very good thing, cause that puppy is still in use! Although only for another day it would seem. I just got the message my door handle and trunk latch have arrived and are ready to pick up.

·
Premium Member
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, I think your right. Yours is stronger looking even, lol. But yea, NO it can not stand, olo backwards we must go but maybe reinforce the backside with something similar if you think it will only happen again,. Good Job, I'd be a drilling and clamping hose clamping fool and the like and not even get it looking that good the end. Great Job I say.>:):pokeowned:
I’ll put my reinforced version up against the OE model any day! Mine has lasted just fine now, but I’m going to pick up the new replacement tomorrow, so mine will get retired for a new one it would seem. But I ain’t throwing it away, no sir! I’m keeping it for the day my new one eventually breaks, and then I’ll put mine back into service!

·
Premium Member
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Uh oh, from the looks of the little illustration on my new trunk latch, it would appear this unit is for a Camaro or Mustang or some other small trunk car
4FD0822B-F2BF-43F6-9AC7-A1D137394BE9_1522568884085.jpeg

·
Registered
151 Posts
Leave your current repair. You are correct, it cannot stand as is. So, file the edges round and smooth. Polish it to a high gloss. Laser engrave a logo into it! Perhaps even with the date.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Speaking of Jerry rigging.....I once was on a motorcycle trip and found myself riding at night about 35 miles from my home. All of a sudden my headlight turned off and the engine died. Upon inspection I noticed I blew the main fuse. I started checking different parts to find the short and noticed the rectifier was extremely hot. I then unplugged the regulator and grabbed a pen from my tank bag. I was able to tear off the metal clip from the pen and put it in the fuse holder to get myself the rest of the way home. My battery was definitely starting to run out of juice by the time I made it home, but I got there in one piece and didn't' have to call a tow truck.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,959 Posts
Better than a .22 bullet :D

A Guy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts