Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I originally wanted an automatic.

I figured I'd had enough shifting gears in my life and it was time to just sit back, tickle the gas and let the car do the rest. But then fate intervened in the form of a close out '13 6M R/T at a price I simply could not turn down. I figured I'd suck it up and just think of all the money I saved as I was reluctantly rowing through the gears.

Then magic happened! It turned into an automatic! Better than that it turned into an automatic that always knew exactly what gear to be in. It was like reading my mind. I didn't have think about it, it just happened. And I re-discovered the joy of actually participating in the operation of a fkn REALLY great car!

Isn't life grand! :eek:hyeah:

No offense to auto owners. We're all family here. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Nice!

Manual here and to me the exchange is more fun on a day to day basis, and heck the rev limiter is easy to hit.:eyemouth:
Are there times while cruzin I would want an Auto, yes but then, "I" shift the gear and go about my day. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rideing with the pistol grip in your right hand is there another way?
Actually, that's a little-known bad habit. It's even in the owners manual and from what I've been told driving with your hand on the shifter puts strain on the sychros.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My train of thought was...one more manual car before I am to old to lift my legs that many times in a day...6sp manual for me. :SM127:

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've owned auto and manual sports cars. I've owned auto and manual 4x4s. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. But at the end of the day, I prefer automatic. When you're sitting in traffic the manual sucks. The manual is also easier to tear up when driving it hard and has it's own unique problems (synchros, throw-out bearings getting noisy, master cylinders leaking, etc.). And finally, you have to rely on the parking brake all the time....not that you shouldn't be using it with autos but with a manual you MUST use it all the time and it's a PITA to keep the parking brake in good working order as the years go by.

Manuals are fun to drive on a sunny and warm day out on the open highway. But in day to day, year to year driving I'll pass from now on. I hate to admit it...but there's a reason why only a handful of vehicles even offer a manual transmission these days.

Having said that, I'm glad Dodge still offers the option. Everybody has different feelings about these cars and it's great to have options!

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
been doing it since 68 never replaced a transmission yet
Me too, since '65 with the same results. First I heard of it was when I was paging through my OM. Kind of like one of those things like not sitting at a light with the car in gear and clutch disengaged puts strain on the throw out bearing.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Me too, since '65 with the same results. First I heard of it was when I was paging through my OM. Kind of like one of those things like not sitting at a light with the car in gear and clutch disengaged puts strain on the throw out bearing.
figure being able to downshift by th time I hit the brakes probably over rides any problems and saves a lot on brakes plus you got a direct connection between drive train and suspension

·
Premium Member
9,215 Posts
I'd think that would weaken the springs on the pressure plate first. Driving manuals since 75 never had a trans go bad and don't mind a manual in traffic either. It's a part of a persons personality, you're either a stick driver or you're not.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I just got my 6-speed Challenger four weeks ago, and it's my first manual trans in a dozen years. I live and drive in one of the most traffic-congested parts of the US (Northern Virginia), but I still LOVE having the manual.
More fun, more control, more involvement, more action!

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
It's a part of a persons personality, you're either a stick driver or you're not.
You may be right in general, judging by the number of manual vs. automatic threads and the "mine is better" mentalities they expose. But I don't think it has to be the case.

Take me: I'm a control freak opposed to automatisms and craving a direct link to machine and environment, and I'm into the retro aspects of the car, so you'd peg me as a 'manual' type. Well, while my two first cars had sticks (the norm in Europe), and I loved that, I've switched to autos-only in the US. I find autos both more adapted to driving conditions where I've lived (congested cities) and to practicality when much of our time, often working time, is spent behind the wheel. It's a concession, a compromise. Actually, the ideal vehicle for me is a motorcycle so 4 wheels are the ultimate compromise and sell-out (bikers call that going soft).

So it's not an either/or proposition for me and as soon as I discovered the joys of the AutoStick I was hooked on Dodge's NAG1 (yes, with all its limitations). Best of both worlds for me, as much as sometimes I'd love a good manual tranny. I also mostly drive with my right hand resting on the shifter, by the way. :D

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here it is... Page 309 of the OM

"• Do not rest your hand on the shift lever while
driving, as this may result in transmission synchronizer
damage."

·
Premium Member
9,215 Posts
You know what I like? That Mother Dodge still provides us a choice of transmissions. I wish our V6 brethren had the choice as well, not to mention our Charger cousins.

To row or not to row-that is the question.
I agree everyone who buys a Challenger should have that option.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I had a 2010 R/T and a 2012 R/T both 6-speed. Then I thought it was getting a bit tedious in traffic with a manual so I got a 2013 auto. I regret that now. Sorry, but it's boring, boring, boring. So after I see what the 2015 looks like, I'll either cash this one in on a 2014 or 2015 6-speed. Probably a 2014 since I figure there will be big price hikes for the 2015 and no rebates.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I love my 6m but a fast auto is a lot of fun also

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Driving around with your hand on the shifter doesn't do any damage to the trans, it's a wife's tale...the ball and spring detent interlocks do a great job of separating your hand from the forks...This is done through the rail system by confining the radiant linear thrust forces to the rearmost lengths of the rails, and the dynamic rotating thrust forces of the cones to the front of the gear box with the mid plate as the dividing point...most internal damage happens from shifting abuse over time, not by resting your hand on the top of the shifter...yeah, I know manual transmission component theory is really boring but I read those books cause I had to

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Driving around with your hand on the shifter doesn't do any damage to the trans, it's a wife's tale...the ball and spring detent interlocks do a great job of separating your hand from the forks...This is done through the rail system by confining the radiant linear thrust forces to the rearmost lengths of the rails, and the dynamic rotating thrust forces of the cones to the front of the gear box with the mid plate as the dividing point...most internal damage happens from shifting abuse over time, not by resting your hand on the top of the shifter...yeah, I know manual transmission component theory is really boring but I read those books cause I had to
You need to get on the phone and tell the engineers at Dodge that they don't know what they are talking about then because it seems that they didn't get that memo.

Here it is... Page 309 of the 2013 Challenger OM

"• Do not rest your hand on the shift lever while
driving, as this may result in transmission synchronizer
damage."

·
Registered
252 Posts
Manual shifting definitely has to be a choice especially here in So Cal where stop and go traffic can occur anytime and anywhere on our freeways whether its in the morning commute or when the 3 right lanes are closed at 11PM for construction (happened to me last night). My father taught me the clutch in the 80s on a 1930 Model A that we were restoring. Boy THAT was CLUTCH! All mechanical, no hydraulics. I loved it. For as long as I can find that sweet spot on the clutch I'm going to shift for the rest of my life. And I'm on the verge of turning off that Hill Assist option if I can't get used to the brakes "sticking" on a hill for that split second. I've stalled it more often because of it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts