1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Moderators, please consider making this a sticky:

Android 4.3 issues with Uconnect and the following radios:
RES, REQ, RBZ and RHB
This issue has not been seen on the RHR radios. They do not query the phone about calls.

I have recently run into an issue with Samsung phones using the Android 4.3 SW. This issue is with new phones as well as phones that have been updated from the Android 4.2 and are on the CDMA networks (Sprint & Verizon). Phones that have been updated from the 4.2 version have been working well till the update was applied. It most likely will be on other CDMA networks as well.

Since Motorola released their KK update, some of their phones are also now having this issue and they have been notified of it as well.

*** I have tried the HTC ONE with 4.3 and it did not have the issue. ***
Here is what happens:
You attempt to place an outgoing call using Uconnect, the call will start the outgoing call and then you’ll hear “Call Completed” but the call is still active on the phone itself.
This is an issue with the phone and network which is currently being looked into by Samsung.

******edited information:
I have had some success with placing the outgoing call from the phone itself instead of pressing the Uconnect button to start the call. When I place the call from the phone, this will make the radio go into hands free mode and the call will be routed thru Uconnect.

·
Registered
69 Posts
One way to avoid this is to have the screen off after making the call. I have noticed that if the screen is still on, it gives me that false "Call Completed" message.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Moderators, please consider making this a sticky:

Android 4.3 issues with Uconnect and the following radios:
RES, REQ, RBZ and RHB

I have recently run into an issue with Samsung phones using the Android 4.3 SW. This issue is with new phones as well as phones that have been updated from the Android 4.2 and are on the CDMA networks (Sprint & Verizon). Phones that have been updated from the 4.2 version have been working well till the update was applied. It most likely will be on other CDMA networks as well.

*** I have tried the HTC ONE with 4.3 and it did not have the issue. ***
Here is what happens:
You attempt to place an outgoing call using Uconnect, the call will start the outgoing call and then you’ll hear “Call Completed” but the call is still active on the phone itself.
This is an issue with the phone and network which is currently being looked into by Samsung.

OMG im not going crazy then... Well i am. It is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!! Also when i place a call from the phone itself, my radio doesnt even notice it... The only way it will work is if someone calls ME....

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please don't take my reply as me being a smart a$$ because I'm don't mean to sound that way. I am only offering some information.

The RER is built by a different mfg than the ones listed which all use an external Uconnect module built by a different supplier than the RER. There are 3 different suppliers for the Uconnect system because of the many different radios available. Each supplier has different SW writers who interpret the BT specs differently because the BT specs are loosely written leaving multiple choices on how a feature is to work.
The Uconnect system for the radios mentioned in this thread queries the phone to see if it has an active outgoing call, if the phone doesn't respond correctly, the Uconnect assumes that there are no outgoing calls and gives the "call completed" prompt.
The RER has built in Uconnect and when placing an outgoing call it doesn't query the phone about if it has an active call or not so it handles this issue differently. Having the radio in the "off" mode on the above mentioned radios has no affect on this issue. (I tried it yesterday)

I have RER and a Galaxy S4

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
What abotu the RHB. AKA 430N

·
Registered
69 Posts
Please don't take my reply as me being a smart a$$ because I'm don't mean to sound that way. I am only offering some information.

The RER is built by a different mfg than the ones listed which all use an external Uconnect module built by a different supplier than the RER. There are 3 different suppliers for the Uconnect system because of the many different radios available. Each supplier has different SW writers who interpret the BT specs differently because the BT specs are loosely written leaving multiple choices on how a feature is to work.
The Uconnect system for the radios mentioned in this thread queries the phone to see if it has an active outgoing call, if the phone doesn't respond correctly, the Uconnect assumes that there are no outgoing calls and gives the "call completed" prompt.
The RER has built in Uconnect and when placing an outgoing call it doesn't query the phone about if it has an active call or not so it handles this issue differently. Having the radio in the "off" mode on the above mentioned radios has no affect on this issue. (I tried it yesterday)

Thanks for the explanation, wouldn't have taken it as a smart a$$ answer.

That being the case, why does my Galaxy S4 exhibit the same behavior described in the OP? I would say this is a Android 4.3 implementation and to a larger extent how Uconnect interprets the BT signal.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The RHB is one of the radios listed above and will have this issue when using Samsung phones with 4.3 Android and are on a CDMA network (Sprint & Verizon). However, I have had some success with placing the call from the phone itself instead of pressing the Uconnect button to place the call, the call will be routed thru Uconnect on. You might want to give this a try also. (I'm using the NOTE2 and can check this out on my coworkers S4 later)

What abotu the RHB. AKA 430N

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
The RHB is one of the radios listed above and will have this issue when using Samsung phones with 4.3 Android and are on a CDMA network (Sprint & Verizon). However, I have had some success with placing the call from the phone itself instead of pressing the Uconnect button to place the call, the call will be routed thru Uconnect on. You might want to give this a try also. (I'm using the NOTE2 and can check this out on my coworkers S4 later)

When the problem first started, that was the work around. Since the second 4.3 update that was supposed to fix some issues, now when i place the call from the radio, the radio doesnt acknowledge the call or phone at all!!!

Edit: If someone calls me, the radio will pick it up. who the F knows what is going on.... Pissing me off though

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not real sure about the RER radio, I do know that some features are handled slightly different than the other radios. I do have a friend that I can check with to see if he has this same issue. What is the SW version that you have on the radio? What year is the vehicle?
This isn't really a BT related issue because the BT connection stays connected. It's a timing issue with how the network tells the phone that the call is in progress, answered or active etc. The network has to send the phone a message, then the phone sends Uconnect (or any other BT car kit) a message answering the query about the call. The phone may be looking for a different reply from the network or the time window may be too short on the phone.
This isn't like pressing a light switch and having the lights come on. There is quite a bit going on in order to keep the radio in hands free mode or send it back to the radio mode and honestly, I don't know why having the radio turned off would have any effect on how the call is handled. That itself is odd.

Thanks for the explanation, wouldn't have taken it as a smart a$$ answer.

That being the case, why does my Galaxy S4 exhibit the same behavior described in the OP? I would say this is a Android 4.3 implementation and to a larger extent how Uconnect interprets the BT signal.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you press and release the Uconnect phone button and try to place a call, this doesn't wake the phone screen up? Sounds like the phone isn't listening to the command.

Have you tried rebooting the phone by removing its battery for a couple minutes and then reinserting it? This helps in some cases and is always worth a try. It's not going to fix this "call completed" issue but may help with the phone being recognized.

When the problem first started, that was the work around. Since the second 4.3 update that was supposed to fix some issues, now when i place the call from the radio, the radio doesnt acknowledge the call or phone at all!!!

Edit: If someone calls me, the radio will pick it up. who the F knows what is going on.... Pissing me off though

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
I meant when i make the call using the phone, The radio doesnt response or realize there is a call. Like the phone never told the radio what is going on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm not real sure about the RER radio, I do know that some features are handled slightly different than the other radios. I do have a friend that I can check with to see if he has this same issue. What is the SW version that you have on the radio? What year is the vehicle?
This isn't really a BT related issue because the BT connection stays connected. It's a timing issue with how the network tells the phone that the call is in progress, answered or active etc. The network has to send the phone a message, then the phone sends Uconnect (or any other BT car kit) a message answering the query about the call. The phone may be looking for a different reply from the network or the time window may be too short on the phone.
This isn't like pressing a light switch and having the lights come on. There is quite a bit going on in order to keep the radio in hands free mode or send it back to the radio mode and honestly, I don't know why having the radio turned off would have any effect on how the call is handled. That itself is odd.

I'll check the version of the software in my radio. My car is an '09. Perhaps I didn't express myself correctly. I don't turn off the radio. I turn off the screen on my phone.

I also have a feeling that part of it is the proximity sensor(s) on the screen, even though the call is through BT, the sensor is trying to turn off the screen and that signal is interpreted by UC as hangup

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. I would be curious to see if the reboot or a factory reset would help out. I've seen weird things going on with a phone that were cleared up with a reboot (removing the battery for a few minutes, then reinserting it) or a factory reset (where the phones battery can't be accessed).

I meant when i make the call using the phone, The radio doesnt response or realize there is a call. Like the phone never told the radio what is going on.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, ok. Thanks, i was thinking you were turning the radio off. Still a little odd. Have you looked online to see if there's a SW update for the radio? There's a guy with the screen name of SOX on another forum that has a lot of knowledge on the 730 / 730N radios and also has access to updates for them. Look into the link below, there's a couple members from this forum discussing his updates:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/finally-2011-730-n-radio-software-update-70416/index16.html

I'll check the version of the software in my radio. My car is an '09. Perhaps I didn't express myself correctly. I don't turn off the radio. I turn off the screen on my phone.

I also have a feeling that part of it is the proximity sensor(s) on the screen, even though the call is through BT, the sensor is trying to turn off the screen and that signal is interpreted by UC as hangup

·
Registered
110 Posts
My wife has the Galaxy S4 and the 430N in her 2012 Challenger and has been having this very problem.
She just informed me that her phone shows there is a Sprint Software Update Available so when she gets home I will do the update for her and see if it fixed the issue.

I have the HTC ONE and after the update I lost the SMS Texting Capabilities on my 2013 Challengers 430N.

Always something with these updates.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
is there any news on your wife's phone after the update? Also is your HTC ONE also on Sprint? Have you tried deleting it from Uconnect and Uconnect from the phone, then going thru a fresh pairing session with It? I've had to do that before.

My wife has the Galaxy S4 and the 430N in her 2012 Challenger and has been having this very problem.
She just informed me that her phone shows there is a Sprint Software Update Available so when she gets home I will do the update for her and see if it fixed the issue.

I have the HTC ONE and after the update I lost the SMS Texting Capabilities on my 2013 Challengers 430N.

Always something with these updates.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts