Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals,

I have been doing some research regarding some aftermarket devices that allow one to either add an Android interface (carperformance.se) to their 8.4 Nav or tether or mirror (UConnect Air V2) your Android smartphone to your same 8.4 Nav radio.

The 2 devices I have seen thus far are:

Android interface tech: Sweden Car Performance |
Android Mirroring: https://www.coastaletech.com/uconnectairv2.htm

While the CarPerformance device is much more advanced in design in my opinion, to the point of removing and disassembling your factory radio and adding components to it, that its intimidating. However, this design basically adds the Android OS to your radio, using whatever apps you desire to use, such as Waze, movie and music sites, etc. Your phone then just becomes a data hotspot for uploading and downloading associated files. This device even comes with a GPS antennae for the Android to use for navigation, Sorta slick, but lots of work.

With regards to the CoastalTech device, its just a matter of pulling your deck out, connecting a wifi hub with associated internal hardware and putting the components in behind your radio. You then just always tether your Android smart phone to the wifi hub and your screen is mirrored on your radio display. You can also use any and all apps existing on your smartphone.

Both of these devices allow you to hook external cameras to your vehicle, unlock some content your factory radio locks while in motion, such as watching video or inputting data into your navigation. For the record, I am not condoning the ability to input addresses on your navigation or watching videos while driving, but some like that feature. I am more interested in a front mounted camera for parking.

Anyway, my question is whether there are some with some experience with one or both of these devices. Since I will be driving in Korea, my built in navigation database of the US and Canada does me no good. I had been pricing a Korean database but have had no luck when i came across both of the devices listed above. I am hoping to hear the "Good, bad and ugly" of these two products as well as ideas about any others known out there.

Thanks team. Love the input from this crowd. The passion for their cars are shown in their passionate replies and attention to detail.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I use something like this: I know it does not mirror the screen but I have it positioned so the phone is right under my mirror and I have the "Android Dashboard" app load when the phone connects to the UConnect. It swivels so my wife can pick music or watch youtube while I drive. It is a lot less than $450. And my phone can double as a dash cam. I just need away to have it dump video to DropBox or Google drive. I know it is not what you asked for but, it is an alternative. Happy hunting!

Car Windshield Suction Cup Holder Mount for 3 5 inch 5 7 inch Smart Phone New | eBay

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use something like this: I know it does not mirror the screen but I have it positioned so the phone is right under my mirror and I have the "Android Dashboard" app load when the phone connects to the UConnect. It swivels so my wife can pick music or watch youtube while I drive. It is a lot less than $450. And my phone can double as a dash cam. I just need away to have it dump video to DropBox or Google drive. I know it is not what you asked for but, it is an alternative. Happy hunting!

Car Windshield Suction Cup Holder Mount for 3 5 inch 5 7 inch Smart Phone New | eBay
What's this Android app you're speaking of? Is it able to be used in UConnect itself?

Regarding the windshield mount, I am trying to keep as much of my windshield clutter free as possible, since there will already be a RADAR detector and blackbox camera in the upper windshield. Thanks regardless for the suggestion.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
What's this Android app you're speaking of? Is it able to be used in UConnect itself?

Regarding the windshield mount, I am trying to keep as much of my windshield clutter free as possible, since there will already be a RADAR detector and blackbox camera in the upper windshield. Thanks regardless for the suggestion.
The App is called "Car Dashboard" and it does not put the phone screen on the car screen. When using the lock pick when you touch the screen in the car does it work your phone or is it just casting the video to it? If it is casting video to it you still need access to your phone.

The App has a nice interface, and you can add apps to it like Google Maps and Slacker, Iheart Etc. to play music over your radio (Bluetooth or with a cable) and when Google Maps "talk" it lowers the music so you can hear the instructions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts