Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year I ask and one day hope for an easy answer. I want to put the old school rally wheels with the center cap in a size 18" preferred or 17". I want thicker sidewall tires that come with white letter like the old BF Goodrich or Eagle GT style. The Chip Foose style wheels looks ridiculous to me. Anyone know of any manufacturers out there that make it for a modern Challenger.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
agree with you - always liked the rallye wheel - the problem with the Foose wheel is the proportion of the wheel openings vs. the face. It looks "off".

Those Year One replicas look nice, but if you could get an 18", it would be a better choice on a modern car for what will fit and the proportions.

I had 265/50 18s on my '09 Challenger and got a lot of positive comments on the meaty sidewall look.

Here's an example of my '09 I had those on:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have seen those wheels on a few sites. BUT, my understanding is ....that they won't fit on modern Challengers due to the lug spacing and the disc brakes...especially Brembos. They are made for the classic vehicles. I hope someone with wheel knowledge can let me know if Iam wrong. GOD, I hope I have been given wrong info. BUT, you NEVER see any modern Challengers with the old style Rallye wheels. I'm sure that there would be a market for them.
Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
561 Posts
the lug spacing shouldn't be an issue, technically. The 5x4.5" wheels are 114.3 mm, but will fit on our 115mm bolt patterns. there are some that say this is a bad idea, or even unsafe, but at the same time there are lots and lots of people using the 5x4.5" bolt pattern with no issues for years, including me. But if you indeed have a model with Brembo's, 17" and smaller wheels are out of the question for you I believe. 18" wheels with 30mm spacers will fit over Brembo's, not sure what it would take to get 17's over them, if it's even possible. I assume it would take such a big spacer that it would be unsafe/look dumb. Those Year One wheels look great though, I had a real struggle deciding between those and my steel wheels on my R/T. If you have an R/T, you should be good, but I can't remember what model you have. But i'm assuming you have Brembos.... Its a shame they don't make those wheels 1 inch bigger. The struggle is real. Good luck friend.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a RT Plus with stock disc brakes. My tires are approaching 24000 miles and will need replacements. I'm down to the last few car shows of the season. What I may try is....go to a show and find a Mopar with the wheels and see if the guy will let me try one of his wheels for fitment. If that doesn't work, I'll have my wheel guy buy just one wheel and try that for size. He can always return it if its no good. Hopefully by spring , I'll have it figured out.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have a RT Plus with stock disc brakes. My tires are approaching 24000 miles and will need replacements. I'm down to the last few car shows of the season. What I may try is....go to a show and find a Mopar with the wheels and see if the guy will let me try one of his wheels for fitment. If that doesn't work, I'll have my wheel guy buy just one wheel and try that for size. He can always return it if its no good. Hopefully by spring , I'll have it figured out.
Oh! In that case I think you should be able to use them!! The back should be no problem but you will probably need those 30mm spacer adapters up front. But you never know, I know of a few 17" rims that actually fit without them. Good luck finding a test wheel. Worst case scenario is you just have to bite the bullet and buy one. But that's what you have to do if you want a 17" wheel. Will be excited to see if they work! I don't know of anyone that has used these on the newer Challengers yet

Sent from my P00A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hey movnviol. I needed a new wheel solution. Spacers giving me issues on my steelies. So i just bought one of the Year One Rallyes to test fit. I'll let you know LOL.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went with the American Racing Shelby Cobra wheels in 18 inch. They look good ....but I am not happy. They are always getting rusty brake dust in the inner wheel and I hate that the valve stem is on the inside. Also the aluminum always needs polishing. IF....they make a 18" Rally wheel, I might switch. Hope it works for you. You can be the guinea pig!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Valve Stem on the inside? What kind of nonsense is that. Weird. I'll let you know about the Rallye's. If they don't work, Im going to go with the American Racing Magnum 500 replicas because I know FOR SURE that those fit R/T's without spacers, even though they are 17"

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 18" Shelby wheels just barely clear the brake calipers. I had a bit of a pain getting the shortest valve stems to install. They clear the calipers in the front by millimeters. I can't even put the plastic caps on them, or else they hit and I risk getting a flat. I wish American racing had asked where I wanted the valve stems. The new THING is valve stems on the inside to keep the wheel looking "clean". Its a pain to get air in the tires now.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Well, you can cross the Year One Rallye's off the list. Don't fit. GD #$)(*&% Calipers. Oh well. Magnum 500's it is.?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts