Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all packaging...
Top notch! Can't say enough was just packaged great nothing could get damaged unless you really tried

Second was contents,
Some on here seem to have gotten blue lock tight in there packaging but I did not.
Next was the bushing. Some have gotten revised red or orange bushings, mine only came with black bushings.
Also I was missing the zip tie, but got 2 jam nuts for the shifter ball. No big deal I have zip ties coming out my ears.
Third and most important is the install. Most important and the video dosent let onto is PATIENCE! Yes this is a performance product and tolerances are very tight. Next is a tool that they don't tell you about in the video that you will need. A telescopic magnet. You will be fishing the pins out from under your car a few times as lining everything up is a tight procedure and even with very small hands they will drop.
Lastly the test drive.

WOW!!!!!!! Take notes Dodge, this Should have come on my car to begin with. As for shifting can't say how much better and much more in touch I am with the shifts. And as for noise, I don't notice any difference between the stock or the Barton so don't worry as I only got the black bushings and it's quiet as before. As far as a mod to do, top three if you have a 6 speed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Cool deal. I love my Barton. The current revised bushing is black with some ribs on it. So most likely you have the right ones.

Good idea to have a telescopic magnet on hand. Lucky that I didn't need one. I started on the tighter (passenger) side. I slid the pin in before I installed the shifter. Then used a needle nose vise grip for leverage. The only thing that gave me a hard time was reinstalling the air duct. No matter what I did it wouldn't go in. Once it did I reached up into the dash and still found a big air gap. My fix was to remove the radio trim and pull the harness up as I slid the tube on. Made life easier.

Besides the Paxton supercharger I put on my 1990 LX Mustang 24 years ago, this shifter has to be the best mod I ever put on any of my cars. The stock shifter is so imprecise, and sloppy replacing it with the Barton totally changes the driving experience.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
The precision of the Barton is very nice. It is extremely sturdy and the shifts are tight. Due to the shorter throw, the shifter initially magnified the notch in 2nd and 3rd gear. However, with about 5,500 miles on my car now and warmer temps, the notch is gradually getting better.

I make sure to shift through the gears several times before I get moving when the car is cold. This really does relieve most of the notch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tip for those who havent installed yet

I was able to slide the pins out of the shifter fork bushings but not completely out of the bracket. Made install simple just pushing the pins back into the Barton fork.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Besides the Paxton supercharger I put on my 1990 LX Mustang 24 years ago, this shifter has to be the best mod I ever put on any of my cars. The stock shifter is so imprecise, and sloppy replacing it with the Barton totally changes the driving experience.
Who would have thought? I feel the same way about my short shifter. Other than the Eaton based PD supercharger kit I installed on my 4 cylinder Solstice ... well pretty much the same reaction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts