Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I expect to get to get some negative replies to this post, but that's why it's here...

To recap: I ordered a new 2012 R/T in 2011...I loved that car and it only had 8,000 miles when I sold it (See my avatar)

Now, I'm ready for a mid-life crisis car, but it's between a Scat Pack Challenger or a SS Camaro

Pros and cons:

The Challenger was rated very highly by members of this forum and Consumer Reports. Now, the Challenger has very poor reviews (close to last of all Dodges, due to reliability issues), while the Camaro is much better.

Issues with my Challenger R/T:

1. Roof dent issues, cost Chrysler $600.00 to fix the dents in the roof
2. Trans went into limp mode twice in 8,000 miles
3. Noisiest engine I've ever owned, of course, the dealer said there was nothing wrong
4. 2 pistons broke and ended up in the oil pan at 8,000 miles, Dodge would only put a remanufactured engine in it and wouldn't even let me buy the original block back from them

Camaro pros:

1. $3,000 cheaper than the Scat Pack, but only 30 HP difference
2. Supposedly bulletproof 6.2L V-8
3. No gas guzzler tax on the Camaro
4. Active rev matching with the 6-speed (which Dodge doesn't even offer)
5. Electric parking brake (OK, it's trivial, but a nice feature..)

OK Guys, have at it, who do YOU vote for.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Both are really good cars it just depends which one you like better. For me I like having a trunk, quiet comfortable ride, and love the old school look also the back seats are bigger if have to put someone back their. But that's just me.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I considered a 2016 SS at one time. Fast cars with an exterior design that is debatable in terms of looks. The new Challengers don't really have any common quality or mechanical issues that I've seen in my three '15+ Challengers. Are there some? I'm sure but nothing that I've noticed or heard of. The new Camaros have terrible interiors and horrible visibility. You can't even ride with your arm out the window since the window opening is at shoulder height. The materials inside are cheap and the ergonomics are subpar. Not even close to the '15+ Challenger interior. Also, zero room in the back "seat" of the Camaro and the trunk opening is very small. You literally have to drop things into the trunk from above.

The Camaros are fast (I'll give them that) and I'm glad Chevy makes them because I like Muscle Cars in general and I appreciate the brand competition. That's my $.02.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've done my research on this topic. If you're not getting a ZL1 Camaro, don't waste your time. They aren't bad cars, but in the end you're getting a better deal with the Scat Pack. Take a look at the upgrades.

I'll provide an example: I priced out a 2SS Camaro to have the same features as my SRT(or as close as I could get it) and the 2SS ended up costing more(55K, no tax etc), about 9 grand more than I paid(46.6K, no tax etc). If you want a fairly base 2SS Camaro, than by all means purchase one. I really like the Camaros for their performance/handling. I just won't pay the price for one unless we get into the highest tier, personally.

ZL1 or bust, IMO.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I ruled out the Camaro when I purchased my '16 Scat Pack. The car Camaro had great reviews performance wise, but I couldn't get passed how cramped the interior felt and the lack of visibility. My decision ended up being between the Mustang and the Challenger.

Camaro does have a great engine. As for the rev matching....really? If you need rev matching just get the automatic version. If you are gonna get a manual gearbox, then learn to drive a manual gearbox don't get it because it comes with a built in crutch.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,074 Posts
The Camaro suffers from very poor visability, feels like your sitting in a bunker IMO, as a tall guy I didn't feel comfortable at all when sitting in one. The Camaro's styling and looks are getting away from muscle car retro, which might not be important to you but for me is something I want, so wouldn't chose a Camaro for that reason alone.

It sounds like you had a lot of problems with your Challenger so I can see why you might have some sour grapes with them. I'm on my second Challenger (first was an R/T and I now own an SRT) and haven't had more than a few minor porblems and so far I can say those two cars have probably been the best two cars I've ever owned, certainly the most fun to drive. I've drag raced both cars and performance against the new Camro's has been great and other than modified (super charged Camaro's) I've done quite well against those I've run up against. In the end it's a subjective thing and you will have to go with you own preferences on this one, but from my perspective the choice is clear, I'd go with another Challenger.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm a fan of the Camaro.......buuuutttt....I couldn't own one.

In 2013 (right before I bought my first Challenger) I decided to spend a week in a rental Camaro just to get a feel of the daily drive. This car was just uncomfortable all around. Everything from getting into the car, drivers position, visibility, blind spots, extremely tight back seat and pretty much non existent trunk.

At the end of the week, I turned in the Camaro then rented a Challenger. After that week was up, I made up my mind and got myself a 2013 RT.

Love the car so much, that I got myself a '16 with the upgraded interior and newer cosmetic upgrades.

My suggestion, go rent one for a couple of weeks and drive it around first.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Have you driven a new Camaro? I was set on ordering a Camaro until my wife and I test drove one. We both love the look but absolutely hated the interior. Every part of the interior feels like it's crowding into you. The trunk is useless and the back seat is even more useless.

The Camaro is a great car to look at, but one test drive killed it for us.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
I’ve had mustangs and camaros before the Challenger, they are both nice but after driving the Challenger the others don’t compare at all.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
They are both nice cars and both very fast. They will basically run neck and neck with each other in stock form. I've experienced that firsthand at the track. It's a driver's race between the two.

It depends on what you want...

Challenger:
- Better looking car
- Roomy interior
- Easier to see out of
- Useable back seat and trunk
- Handles decent

Camaro:
- Good looking car
- Tiny interior
- Cant see crap out of it
- Useless back seat and trunk
- Handles awesome and will out corner a Challenger no problem
- Better aftermarket support

I would test drive both and see which one you really enjoy driving more. The Camaro will be a much better handling car, will corner better, feel more nimble, and is very fast. But if you're a tall guy, or you have kids or anyone that might have to go in the back seat, or you plan on putting more than one piece of small luggage in the trunk, then the Camaro might suck for you.

To me, the biggest issue would be how much do you care about handling? If you like to corner hard and get into the twisties then the Camaro is for sure the car to get. If you don't really push your car hard into the turns, in a straight line they're both comparable.

Either way you'll end up with a great car. Neither one of them suck. They're just better at certain things than the other is all.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I recommend you drive them both. Then it will be clear for you, regardless of your choice.

I'm a Chevy guy. Drove the 2016 Camaro. Hated it. Fast as shit. Looks like shit. Hated it. Worse blind spots than the 2011. Too small. Trunk's a joke.

Drove my brother's Scat Pack Charger. Sold. Ordered the roomy, pig-like Challenger. Love it. Plenty of sprawl space. Baralounger seats. Massive balls. Best factory exhaust sound ever. Shaker hood. True retro 3-pedal joy. Win!

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I expect to get to get some negative replies to this post, but that's why it's here...

To recap: I ordered a new 2012 R/T in 2011...I loved that car and it only had 8,000 miles when I sold it (See my avatar)

Now, I'm ready for a mid-life crisis car, but it's between a Scat Pack Challenger or a SS Camaro

Pros and cons:

The Challenger was rated very highly by members of this forum and Consumer Reports. Now, the Challenger has very poor reviews (close to last of all Dodges, due to reliability issues), while the Camaro is much better.

Issues with my Challenger R/T:

1. Roof dent issues, cost Chrysler $600.00 to fix the dents in the roof
2. Trans went into limp mode twice in 8,000 miles
3. Noisiest engine I've ever owned, of course, the dealer said there was nothing wrong
4. 2 pistons broke and ended up in the oil pan at 8,000 miles, Dodge would only put a remanufactured engine in it and wouldn't even let me buy the original block back from them

Camaro pros:

1. $3,000 cheaper than the Scat Pack, but only 30 HP difference
2. Supposedly bulletproof 6.2L V-8
3. No gas guzzler tax on the Camaro
4. Active rev matching with the 6-speed (which Dodge doesn't even offer)
5. Electric parking brake (OK, it's trivial, but a nice feature..)

OK Guys, have at it, who do YOU vote for.....
looking at your pros & cons the Camaro is the clear winner.. so why are you even asking?

If you are after retro the only thing retro in the Camaro is the interior.
If you wan the cool (if lesser in the handling department) car that no longer has the problems you think it has...

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,937 Posts
I'm a fan of the Camaro.......buuuutttt....I couldn't own one.

In 2013 (right before I bought my first Challenger) I decided to spend a week in a rental Camaro just to get a feel of the daily drive. This car was just uncomfortable all around. Everything from getting into the car, drivers position, visibility, blind spots, extremely tight back seat and pretty much non existent trunk.

At the end of the week, I turned in the Camaro then rented a Challenger. After that week was up, I made up my mind and got myself a 2013 RT.

Love the car so much, that I got myself a '16 with the upgraded interior and newer cosmetic upgrades.

My suggestion, go rent one for a couple of weeks and drive it around first.
I couldn't agree more!!! I rented a Camaro convertible for 3 weeks while in Hawaii, I can't remember if it was a 2SS but it was a V8 that had oodles of performance. After that experience I could never own a Camaro, sure I would drive one now and then, the convertible top while down absolutely made driving one a bit better! In the end though I prefer a Challenger because of it's retro looks and it just drive's better in every day traffic with loads of comfort AND performance.

·
Registered
2015 R/T
520 Posts
Test drove the Camaro before buying my 15 R/T small trunk, back seat area was useless and being only 5'7 made looking out the side window impossible.. No for me the Challenger was the way to go. Plus the exterior and interior updates help push into the 15 model.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Another point to consider and try one out.

A number of reviews have commented that the SS models don't have great ride quality - while this might be favorable for road course or track - living with that on the streets could be a whole different matter.

So I'm a proponent to try both and see what you think fits your expectations.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I actually think the Camaro has a better exhaust note than our cars, or at least as good...but I don't know if the best exhaust system they can come from the factory with is standard, it may be an option.

I dont see comparably equipped Camaros (and Mustangs for that matter) any cheaper than Challengers, so I wouldn't assume the Camaro is cheaper.

As far as the LT1 being a great engine, I'm not so sure. GM finally made something with some low-end torque, and congrats to them for that, but they are oil burners with direct injection that basically mandates a catch can. I would say the 392 is a better engine on several levels.

Both are good cars, and I would say the manual Camaro is closer to the 8/auto in terms of performance than the Challenger is.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I drove the SS with the magnetic suspension. Its pretty good. I would say a bit better than the 3 mode adjustable suspension of the SRT 392. Also the seats are very nice in the SS Camaro. There were some other features that were pretty nice as well.

BUT...

Its a loud car. Wind noise, road noise, tire noise. Its like there is no sound proofing in the car. Also the windows are tiny, the back seats are unusable, and the trunk is tiny.

Great track car. Daily driver... no... just no... The Challenger, for me was way more comfortable and usable. That was an absolute necessary in my situation. I came from a BMW 535, so I'm used to comfort and quiet. The nice part is the Challenger has more trunk space than my BMW and the seats fold down, which mine did not. The back seats have literally the same amount of room as my BMW. I just feel really comfortable in my Challenger.

The Camaro was a great car, just not what would have worked for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My vote is challenger also. I do like the styling of the camaro, and it is fun to drive. However it does come up short in many areas.
1. The interior is small and oddly shaped. I mean who likes the radio screen pointing downward?
2. You can't rest your arm on the window sill because its too tall to be comfortable.
3. The backseat is really more a small shelf than a place people with legs can sit.
4. The trunk has the most awkward opening I've ever tried to use.
5. It is not real easy to get in and out of it.
6. Ride is a little harsh. This is true of any sport suspension though, so a Scat Pack would be pretty close.

Lots of folks talk about the handling on the camaro being much better than the challenger. It is better but not in a super noticeable way to anyone driving normal on a street. If you plan to take 90 degree turns at 60mph or more, you may see a difference, but not for normal road driving.

The challenger has lots of items in it's favor.
1. Classic Muscle Car Styling - most folks hardly look once at a camaro when it drives by, but the challenger almost always gets a second look.
2. Mature platform - at this point, the current challenger has had almost a decade for FCA to work out the kinks. Sure some folks have issues, but most folks have trouble free ownership.
3. Roomy and comfortable. Interior is well laid out in the current challengers. No problems getting in and out of the vehicle.
4. Backseat can fit adults!
5. Trunk is large and easy to access.
6. Overall ride is comfortable. It doesn't feel like a chore to drive the challenger for long distances. Easy to cruise in it and does not have the tremendous blind spot issues the camaro does. I read a review that equated the 2017+ camaros to looking through "the window slits of a WWII bunker". I thought that review was pretty close. I can see all around my challenger without moving my head too much, but in the camaro I was constantly leaning or ducking to see around the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I've owned a Camaro SS. Every car manufacturer turns out a certain percentage of lemons. My SS was one of them. That's my contribution to the many posts above.

Without a list of your requirements, people are simply throwing out everything and anything on their minds. You've gotten tons of reasons for staying with Dodge and a few for going with the SS. The question that I have for you is, what are your requirements? Is this going to be a track car? A family hot rod? A weekend car show cruiser?

Requirements drive solutions. I hope that you get the right car for your needs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've owned a Camaro SS. Every car manufacturer turns out a certain percentage of lemons. My SS was one of them. That's my contribution to the many posts above.

Without a list of your requirements, people are simply throwing out everything and anything on their minds. You've gotten tons of reasons for staying with Dodge and a few for going with the SS. The question that I have for you is, what are your requirements? Is this going to be a track car? A family hot rod? A weekend car show cruiser?

Requirements drive solutions. I hope that you get the right car for your needs.
Very well said for sure. :wink3:

Terry

1 - 20 of 42 Posts