Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack M6
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came from the mustang world. Last one was an 07 S197 GT with a Hurst shifter. I always heard mustang guys talk about how much better barton was. I also read the same thing here. You guys were right. Multiplies the fun factor of each drive! Thanks for sharing the knowledge. If you're on the fence, install it. I know it's a lot of money but it's totally worth it. Even more smiles per gallon now!

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Still on the fence still.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack M6
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me preface my "it's totally worth it, buy it" statement with this. If you like an old-school firm shift feel then get the barton. It's definitely much more firm with shorter throws than the stocker. It just depends on what you're after. Here's my anecdote. I had a 2008 Nissan altima S 6 speed years ago. I could shift it with my little finger it was so light. I hated that econobox and its shifter just felt sloppy to me. It almost felt toy-like. When I first drove my scat it reminded me of that nissan which for me wasn't a good thing. I had a hurst on my previous DD mustang so I was already used to the firmer shifts. If you enjoy the ease and lightness of the stock shifter and have never driven an aftermarket shifter the barton or hurst units may not be what you want. I've also owned several old school 50's 60's cars all with Hurst shifters so I prefer that kind of feel. It could be cumbersome for someone not accustomed to that. If you can be lucky enough to drive someone else's car with one that would be awesome to test it out!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought a Barton to put in mine a while back. I need to make time to DO IT!

Sent from my TM800A612R using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
since you have the '14, its "extra sloppy" in the '09 - '14 years.

you need to track down someone that has a Barton (any year) and you'll see the difference if you drive one. Precise, short throws and they're nearly as quiet as the OEM (the Hursts are noisy)

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
WELL, binging a mustang guy, MGW shifter are the BEST out there. Sadly this company does not make them for Dodge Challengers due to lack of cars out there......

My 14 shifts just fine STOCK for me, never miss a shift. Maybe the SRT 8 had a better shifter ???
Only had the car a year, who knows what has been done to a 6 year old car with only 6k miles !! LOL

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put my shifter in last week. The OEM unit was worn out. No wonder the shifts were so sloppy. Since there is less travel with the Barton it takes more effort to change gears. But there is no slop any more. Once I get used to it I'm sure I will be very happy I went with this unit.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts