Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If I have nivomats, do I still need to buy regular shocks for the rear EVEN if I purchase coilovers? Also, I've read there are two types of nivomats. Regular and load leveling? Sorry, I've been reading up on this all day and I'm ever more confused.

I can take pictures of my shocks if that helps. Also, does anyone have the part number to regular shocks to replace the rears if I indeed have nivomats?

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: 2012 Challenger R/T - Automatic

EDIT 2: I have the same part number as this guy (http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...shock-identification-help-101311/#post1373379) and he says they aren't load leveling. Yet they look like nivomats.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you buy coilovers than those will replace the nivomats. A coilover is an adjustable shock so by buying them you will be replacing your front and rear shock-spring setup altogether. My question is do you really need coilovers? If you do a lot of track and need to adjust the car often than yes but it costs a lot more where as some shocks and lowering springs gets you lowered for half the cost and unless you track the car why would you need to adjust the height? I know lots of people rave that you should buy the coilovers but if you dont plan using them for their intended purpose and only want the look of a lowered car why spend all that money?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good questions. I just wanted a lower drop than 1 or 1.5 inches. Didn't see many brands with that much of a drop. I am a total newb with suspensions. Also, if I in fact get coilovers will it throw an error code since I replace the load leveling shocks?

I'd love to save money with just springs. Thanks so much for the reply. I appreciate you taking the time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
538 Posts
You could get the Eibach pro kit which is shocks and springs for around $600 on tire rack and it will lower you 1.7" or the Eibach sportline kit for around $650 on tire rack and it will lower you 2". Anymore than that and you will tear your car apart on pot holes etc. Go to eibach.com and you can search up under the applications tab for what kit for what year Challenger you have. As far as a code being thrown the answer is no. The car does not know what suspension you have. Do a google search of pro kit challenger and sportline challenger under images to see how much it drops the car. Trust me anymore than 2" and you are going to tear your nice car apart. I just bought the pro kit and will be putting it on in about a week. I went with that cause my car is a daily driver. Looking cool is one thing but ripping your car apart to to look cool is not a good way to go.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
efxman... thanks for the informative replies. I have some thinking to do now. The only thing going for me is that this Challenger isn't my daily driver. I'd be happy with a 2" drop, so I am going to check out those Eibachs. Can't wait to see pictures of your ride. Thanks again!

·
Registered
538 Posts
No problem, I think the eibach sportlines would be good. I was torn between pro kit and sportlines but went with the pro kit just to be sure I don't damage anything but if you drive carefully 2" should be fine as well.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 1320, high octane red, Race Stars and Mickey Thompson et rs, hurst shifter.
530 Posts
Are these nivomats? I have same. Do I need yo change to lower car. O areyhey touring shocks

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yes the Sachs shocks in the rear are nivomats and you will need to replace them to lower your car. If your rear shock does not say bilsteins then you need to replace them to lower the car. If you do have bilsteins you could just buy some mopar stage one springs or eibach pro or sportline springs or h & r springs or hotchis springs. The list goes on and on as you can see. See what you have so you know what you need than do some research on which springs suit your needs and price range.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 1320, high octane red, Race Stars and Mickey Thompson et rs, hurst shifter.
530 Posts
I was told these are not self leveling shocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the Sachs shocks in the rear are nivomats and you will need to replace them to lower your car. If your rear shock does not say bilsteins then you need to replace them to lower the car. If you do have bilsteins you could just buy some mopar stage one springs or eibach pro or sportline springs or h & r springs or hotchis springs. The list goes on and on as you can see. See what you have so you know what you need than do some research on which springs suit your needs and price range.
Unfortunately, you are not right. This is what I encountered when searching this forum. A lot of misinformation involving nivomat's.

There are two types of nivomat's. Self-leveling and NOT.

The ones pictures are on my car and are NOT self-leveling. I have the Eibach pro-kit installed on these same shocks and have NO problems and they car is more than lowered.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are these nivomats? I have same. Do I need yo change to lower car. O areyhey touring shocks
As I mentioned in the other thread, you're good to go. Search my name. I have the same shocks as you and my car is damn near tucked on the front wheel and about 1-1.5" of clearance on my rear wheels.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Not so much misinformation it's that dodge does not follow hard rules on their own cars. My 2010 rt 6 speed should have nivomats cause dodge said those cars would yet mine came with bilsteins in back and Sachs in front. I never got why dodge would put rv shocks on a muscle car.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not so much misinformation it's that dodge does not follow hard rules on their own cars. My 2010 rt 6 speed should have nivomats cause dodge said those cars would yet mine came with bilsteins in back and Sachs in front. I never got why dodge would put rv shocks on a muscle car.
I'm with ya man.

The easiest way is to check the part number. Also, the nivomat self leveling shocks will be bigger in diameter.

·
Registered
530 Posts
What part number are the self levelers?. Mine also has the lower rod.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts