Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure I'm WAY over thinking this, but figured it's better to ask and be safe than sorry.

What kind of lube do I want to use on the rubber hoses for my speedlogix catch can? I've read/watched many places that say to lube the ends of the hoses to make them easier to install, and after trying to fit one on without lube (test fit) I now see why!

I went to O'Reilly autoparts to get some, figuring it's probably a simple thing and I'd get a small tube of something. Guy insisted I didn't need any and recommended soaking the tubes in hot water for 10mins. I'm sure that works but I just wanted some lube to put on quickly and get them on, so he finally just said "Well anything will work" and handed me this little ketchup packet thing of "brake lube" I believe it said (at work, don't have it with me) and said that would work. I had the other things I wanted so I just said ok and bought it, but yeah now I just want to double check that this is ok to use and/or if not what should I go get?

Thanks!

EDIT - to clarify, I just want to make sure what I got isn't bad for rubber or cause problems if it accidentally goes into the tube to the engine. I've added a pic of the stuff I got from the store.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Lube huh? Yeah I guess that would have helped. Really, anything. Just reduce the friction. Not to worry!

·
Registered
49 Posts
What he gave you is probably generic form of Sil-Glyde, a rubber-safe lubricant/"grease" that is typically used on the slide pins of the brake assembly since they utilize rubber boots and whatnot. Regular grease/lubricants would rot the rubber. Should be fine.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Vaseline, K-Y, baby oil, saliva, Astroglide, oh wait I just shove mine in dry....
If you're going with the K-Y "his and hers" make sure you follow their instructions. They specifically say the "blue" goes on the male end (your fitting) and the "purple" goes on the female end (the inside of the tube).

·
Registered
486 Posts
So to summarize, you don't really have to use it, it makes it easier to put them together.
As silver scat said, it just to reduce the friction.

As far as the rest of those helpful answers, they don't know the purpose of foreplay.>:):jawdrop:

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What he gave you is probably generic form of Sil-Glyde, a rubber-safe lubricant/"grease" that is typically used on the slide pins of the brake assembly since they utilize rubber boots and whatnot. Regular grease/lubricants would rot the rubber. Should be fine.
This was what I was looking for! I guess I should have clarified.

I wanted to make sure I had something that would not erode or harm the rubber hoses, nor the engine if some it went in the tube on accident.

Sorry guys, I don't really know my lubes like you all! ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Silicone Lube. Don't use WD40 because it causes rubber to swell ;)

Reactions: Dizman7

·
Premium Member
9,679 Posts
Considering it’s motor oil vapors going through the hose, I’d dab a q-tip in any any motor oil and push it onto the barb.
You could also hold a blow dryer on high on the end of the hose for a short time to make the rubber more compliant. You’ll get it done without issue.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Reactions: xxdirtyjoexx

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I'd really like to see a picture of that can on your car and the pretty katzkin interior. Just dab some oil in there and it will slide right on. Or fight with it like most of us....... it ain't NO thing. PM me if you have any trouble.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd really like to see a picture of that can on your car and the pretty katzkin interior. Just dab some oil in there and it will slide right on. Or fight with it like most of us....... it ain't NO thing. PM me if you have any trouble.
Wha?! Didn't you see my imgur album in my one post complaining about the stitching? I guess it was sorta hidden after all those massive pics I inserted. Here it is again for you. Suppose I should update my signature.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZzMFj

Below are all the parts sitting on my kitchen counter at the moment. Not sure when I'll get around to it, probably not till a weekend but dunno if it'll be this weekend though. I did go ahead and put one side of the weather striping on the hellcat box, I seemed to have got thee EXACT right width weather striping for it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Wha?! Didn't you see my imgur album in my one post complaining about the stitching? I guess it was sorta hidden after all those massive pics I inserted. Here it is again for you. Suppose I should update my signature.

Below are all the parts sitting on my kitchen counter at the moment. Not sure when I'll get around to it, probably not till a weekend but dunno if it'll be this weekend though. I did go ahead and put one side of the weather striping on the hellcat box, I seemed to have got thee EXACT right width weather striping for it!

No I didn't see that before but I did see the pics you posted right after. I was hoping you were happy with the job......

I was!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

That is a REAL good job. I have seen some not so real good jobs...... Be happy!!!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
A heads-up if you're knocking out the headlight insert, which it appears you are; the duct is LOOSE on the back of the light. If you have some more of the weatherstripping laying around, you've got an easy fix. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A heads-up if you're knocking out the headlight insert, which it appears you are; the duct is LOOSE on the back of the light. If you have some more of the weatherstripping laying around, you've got an easy fix. :)
Is it loose with the stock duct or this aFe one I have? Or both? More than one video I saw where they used the stock headlight duct, people seemed to have a lot of complaints about it. That it was flimsy cause it's like pressed felt, and that it's a bit short and a bit big on the headlight end. So that is why I went with the aFe headlight duct, since it's more solid plastic and "looks" to be a bit longer. Though I have not specifically seen any videos of people installing it.

But I do have a plenty of that weatherstripping left though, I'm still a bit dumbfounded that it's the EXACT width of that lip on the box, ha ha! I probably used less than a 4th of it.

Thanks for the heads up

1 - 20 of 29 Posts