Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having the alternator recall completed 3 weeks ago I came home to a recall notice in the mail. At first I thought it was for the alternator but I was wrong this one is for the passenger side airbag. The recall ID is NHTSA 18V-021. It looks like it is for 09-13 Challengers.

I wish FCA would have addressed this 3 weeks ago. Now I have to argue with the only dealer by me to give me a ride to work 7 miles away when they only will take me 6 miles and then pay for an UBER to drop me off so I can pickup my car since the dealer wont pick me up.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I also received the same recall in the mail today for my 2009 Challenger. Last year it was for the driver's side hand grenade. Never a dull moment.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
GM is still trying to get my 02 Impala back. Or the keys I should say. No, it never stops. But in OUR case....well worth it!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
SON-OF-A-----B!#CH. Another one. How long until THIS part is available?

For me, at least, the good news is that I very rarely have a front seat passenger in my Challenger. I use it mostly for commuting to work, and drive my RAM and wife's Pilot on the weekends. Grandkids like to ride in the Challenger, but only in the backseat, so this one can go on the back burner.....maybe wait for the next one and get more than one recall fixed at once.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I saw a letter the other day, but assumed it was just another reminder that I still need to fix the DRIVER side ................. that I have not gotten fixed. I'll have to actually read it this time.

Guess now I can get them both done at once.

That is, once my car comes out of winter hibernation in a month or so.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I saw a letter the other day, but assumed it was just another reminder that I still need to fix the DRIVER side ................. that I have not gotten fixed. I'll have to actually read it this time.

Guess now I can get them both done at once.

That is, once my car comes out of winter hibernation in a month or so.
Two birds with one stone...

·
Registered
528 Posts
I just got both the driver and passenger side air bag inflators done today, took about 90 minutes for both. The passenger side is above the glove box, so it's a quick replacement. It only took the dealer a couple days to get the parts, and I'm in Germany.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another one I haven't heard a word from Dodge about on my '13 (I bought used.)
This is another one of those Takata airbag recalls. Here's the text of the recall notice.
Safety Issue Type: Recalls

January 09 2018 NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V021000

Passenger Frontal Air Bag Inflator May Explode

An inflator explosion may result in sharp metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants

resulting in serious injury or death.

NHTSA Campaign Number 18V021000

Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)

Components AIR BAGS

Potential Number of Units Affected 328177

Summary

Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2009-2013 Jeep Wrangler, Chrysler 300, Dodge

Challenger and Dodge Charger vehicles, and 2009-2011 Dodge Dakota vehicles sold, or ever

registered, in the states of Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi,

South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands

(Saipan), and the U.S. Virgin Islands or "Zone A."

Additionally, Chrysler is recalling certain 2009-2010 RAM 4500 Cab Chassis, RAM 5500 Cab

Chassis, RAM 3500 Cab Chassis, Jeep Wrangler, Chrysler 300, Dodge Dakota, Dodge

Challenger, and Dodge Charger vehicles ever registered in the states of Arizona, Arkansas,

Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri,

Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania,

Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia or "Zone B."

Chrysler is also recalling certain 2009 RAM 3500, RAM 2500, RAM 4500 Cab Chassis, RAM

5500 Cab Chassis, Dodge Durango, Chrysler Aspen, RAM 3500 Cab Chassis, Jeep Wrangler,

Chrysler 300, Dodge Dakota, Dodge Challenger, and Dodge Charger vehicles ever registered in

the states of Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan,

Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South

Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger frontal air bag, these

passenger air bag inflator may explode due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term

exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling.

Remedy

Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the passenger frontal air bag inflator, free of

charge. The recall began February 28, 2018. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at

1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is U03.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety

Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Affected Products (32)

Vehicle

Generated at NHTSA.gov 1 / 2

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine was replaced a few weeks ago. It's just the inflator for the airbag. Should take a max of 2 hrs. I was originally going to have the alternator recall done that day and they said this was an issue as well so I let them go ahead and fix it. I ended up having to take mine back again due to them not having the alternator in stock.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Mine was replaced a few weeks ago. It's just the inflator for the airbag. Should take a max of 2 hrs. I was originally going to have the alternator recall done that day and they said this was an issue as well so I let them go ahead and fix it. I ended up having to take mine back again due to them not having the alternator in stock.

So they "drug" (something they say in the south.....I was there) you down there for an alternator recall. Tell you that they want to do an air bag, ......."while you are there", and then tell you by the by, "we don't have the alternator"!!!!

WTH?????

·
Registered
412 Posts
Another recall, well that is lame. I have to bring the car in for the alternator replacement, I'll check with the dealer and see if this one applies to my car.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What is the procedure for replacing the inflator for the passenger side airbag. I have read conflicting statements...some say they have to remove the dash and others say that access is thru removal of the glovebox. Has anyone had this done? I really don't want the Dealer to remove my dash. They always mess something up and my 2010 SRT8 PCP only has 12K miles on it. They scratched my steering column when they did the recall for the drivers airbag. I can only imagine what horrors they will commit if they have to remove my dash...

·
Super Moderator
14,226 Posts
What is the procedure for replacing the inflator for the passenger side airbag. I have read conflicting statements...some say they have to remove the dash and others say that access is thru removal of the glovebox.

I just had the passenger side air bag inflator replaced by the dealer. Access is through the glove box. This easy fix only took 25 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
14,226 Posts
What is the procedure for replacing the inflator for the passenger side airbag. I have read conflicting statements...some say they have to remove the dash and others say that access is thru removal of the glovebox.

I just had the passenger side air bag inflator on my SRT replaced by the dealer. Access is through the glove box. This easy fix only took 25 minutes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts