Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all. I know there's plenty of these posts basically everywhere, but I can't seem to find a specific input on my situation, so here it is.

I'm looking to run my T/A on the strip next summer, so I'm looking for a set of wheels and tires I can run there and back if need be. I plan on keeping the stock 20's and Pirelli's for general road use so I'm not wearing down track tires if I don't need to. I've basically been hearing an even mix on the forum on most every topic. So, short of a dedicated strip setup with front-runners (I'm nowhere near the power where that would be a relevant factor), what is the best way to go for a strip-centric setup that can still be relatively street-safe if necessary? I don't mind taking afternoons to swap wheels back and forth. I just get lazy sometimes =/
Oh. And I'm running M6. So wheel hop and all that.

18's or 17's?
10.5 0r 9.5?
Mickey's or Nittos?
Matching all 4 corners or staggered sizes?
Radials or Slicks?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
I have Bravado Tribute wheels for racing; 18 x 10 for the back only. On these I have M&H Racemasters, 275/45/18 drag radials which are D.O.T rated.

Typically I put them on at the track, but on occassion (multi-day race event) I leave them on for the drive to the hotel. Only once did I experience wet roads, and in total honesty don't look forward to that again, as I prefer not driving while totally stressed.

Nittos seem to have a decent street/strip rep, as do Mickey Thompsons...

...but it has been my experience anything less than a drag radial (I was cautioned against slicks, but many use them) will still leave you vulnerable to wheel hop.

I've had zero (0) wheel hop since I began using my Racemasters.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Most will say that a manual trans works best with real bias-ply slicks, because you're going to be shocking the tires harder than with an auto and they allow more flex.

Bias ply tires will have a bit of loss going down the track at lower pressures, so if you don't need them, you may trap higher with radials.

True bias-ply slicks also are not the best for street driving and tend not to be DOT legal because they have no treads.

Some tire companies make bias ply tires "cheater slicks" with treads - like M&H. And some make radials that are slicks - like Mickey Thompson.

But usually you will find that slicks are bias-ply and drag radials have some tread for street use.

Here's a good article:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/slicks-vs-radial-tires.html

If you want to actually drive around on the street with your tires, go with something that has some tread to be DOT legal and be careful.

Maybe a bias ply with tread would be best if you can find them in a size that will fit. Go for the smallest wheel diameter that will fit and something between 27" and 29" tall. I don't know what brakes your car has, so I'm not sure how small of a wheel you can go with.

Is your car a 392?

I wouldn't bother with switching front tires as it is a lot of money and work for little gain in my opinion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, guys. No premature wear issues running the front stock tires separate from the rear? And yes, I'm in a 392. Stock, at least for now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts