Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
April 1, 2019, I purchased 4 new tires at NTB and had 4 new sensors installed. This past Friday night while doing about 65 mph the right rear struck a bolt in the road and the tire went flat. I drove about 17 miles at roughly 45 mph on the spare. Yesterday the local tire shop put on a new tire. I drove the 1/2 mile home and, of course, I still had the low tire warning light displayed as well as all 4 tire pressures NOT recording with just dashes on each side of the tire icon. I dropped by the tire shop a while ago. The gent took his hand held computer out to the car and checked all 4 sensors getting a reading they were all good. He then plugged his computer into the under dash port and his computer indicated it had synced all sensors to the car. I then drove about 15 - 20 minutes averaging likely 50 mph. I stopped at a pharmacy and then drove 13 miles back home on the interstate. Still no change. Remember, these sensors are only 15 months old and they all tested good.

Any ideas where I go from here? He thought they might be a dealer only reset; but, looking at other TPMS threads, I get the distinct impression it is not a dealer only reset. My first thought is to have them install a new sensor on that tire. However, maybe I should drive it a bit more and pray it decides to reset on its own. BTW, correcting this is really just a matter of getting rid of that annoying low tire warning light. If I look at it long enough I know I'll end up checking tire pressures about 100 time more than I need to check them. 馃ぃ

Premium Member
Two points to ponder...
1.Did the tire shop replace with OEM sensors or aftermarket? Some aftermarket don't work well.
2.The control box for the sensor system is located behind the wheel well lining at the front of the right rear well. Was there any damage there?
With our system, it relearns positions of all the sensors by itself within a short drive. I'm amazed the other makes haven't figured this out. GM you need to manually walk around with a relearn tool and I've been looking at new Rangers. They have a very involved process. But our Chrysler system is the most simple.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect NTB installed aftermarket sensors; but, they have worked fine up until this flat. Nonetheless, I think you found my problem. The 1st picture is of the 4 1/2" bolt that caused the flat and the 2nd picture is of the hole it punched in the splash guard in front of the right rear wheel. When it hit the sheet metal it sounded like a ball-peen hammer hitting an anvil. I suspect this is something the dealer needs to check out and repair if that's the problem.
Flat tire 2_1_1.jpg
Flat tire 1_1_1_5.jpg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
I can't find the sensor control box listed on the OEM parts catelog I use; but, I am likely using terms it doesn't recognize. It looks like I'll remove the splash shield to inspect it and find a part number to price it out. Assuming the cost is reasonable (are they ever?), do you know if that's something I can replace and have the local tire shop go thru the syncing procedure again, or; is still most likely a dealer item to get it working? I've not removed these splash shields; but, I have removed plenty of therm so that's not an issue. Thanks for your help.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
Ignorant me and my ADD. Thanks for the parts link. I'll look at the one in there. Even if it didn't take a direct hit, I suspect it could have been close enough to jar its insides to the point of damaging it. I'll take a picture of the the control box and where the bolt struck. Again, thanks.

If you check back, I'll try to get this done after supper tonight and have it posted by 8 p.m., CST.

Reactions: mjb4450

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
Couldn't wait until after supper. The bolt does not appear to have hit the control box dead on. However, without removing the tire, I could only see the face of the box and the outboard side. When I removed the bolt Friday, the head was facing slightly to the outboard side of the car. The bolt however, would have been as close to the horizontal center of the control box as possible. Additionally, if it didn't at the very least graze the inboard side of the control box, it then hit the mounting nut/bracket/bold dead on. I'll give the gents at Steve White Motors a call tomorrow and ask their advice. I expect it will be to replace the unit and to have my local tire shop sync it all again. It looks to be a plug & play part.

Premium Member
Couldn't wait until after supper. The bolt does not appear to have hit the control box dead on. However, without removing the tire, I could only see the face of the box and the outboard side. When I removed the bolt Friday, the head was facing slightly to the outboard side of the car. The bolt however, would have been as close to the horizontal center of the control box as possible. Additionally, if it didn't at the very least graze the inboard side of the control box, it then hit the mounting nut/bracket/bold dead on. I'll give the gents at Steve White Motors a call tomorrow and ask their advice. I expect it will be to replace the unit and to have my local tire shop sync it all again. It looks to be a plug & play part.
Well, if it is plug and play then the only place you should have to go is down the road about a half mile and it should sync itself. Also check any visible wiring to the control module for a hit.

Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
That bolt is kind of a bolt.....it鈥檚 actually a locking pin for a receiver style ball mount hitch.

Somewhere......some guy may be missing a trailer and cargo as well. :geek:

Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
If you want to be sure. Swap two tires and see if the problem follows the new tire

A Guy

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
If you want to be sure. Swap two tires and see if the problem follows the new tire
Unfortunately, all 4 tires give me the same "=" sign on both sides of the tire icon. If I change the wheels/tires from one position to another and get the same thing, I'll learn nothing. I'm pretty sure at however many miles per hour that locking pin was traveling when it hit the mounting bracket, my guess is the module's interior is DOA. I don't know what's inside it, but, I suspect the impact was major. As mentioned, I'll be calling Steve White Motors. Thanks for the input.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
That bolt is kind of a bolt.....it鈥檚 actually a locking pin for a receiver style ball mount hitch.

Somewhere......some guy may be missing a trailer and cargo as well. :geek:
Yep, we live in a rural area with plenty of farms/farm land and towns every 8 - 10 miles apart. I see now that's the pin that holds the male end (the ball is mounted on) into the female end of the hitch. It's just missing the clasp if I'm correct.

Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
Ahhh, I misread sorry ;)

A Guy

Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
Did that pin sever the wires going to the module? I bet there are codes that could help, but I bet once you get in there (take pictures!!!) it will be obvious.
MAN that thing is a keeper, talk about a "what are the odds" type of thing.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
No damage to the wires going to the module. They are a couple inches below the impact point.
... talk about a "what are the odds" type of thing.
I'm all about odds. Served aboard ship in Vietnam with about 100 guys on the ship. In later years I discovered one of them went to church, and lived on the same country road as my aunt, in Cabello, NM (pop. 112). I also discovered another shipmate worked at the same copper mine outside of Tucson, AZ as 1 of my only 2 cousins. Next, I discovered another shipmate was a salesman for an electronics firm in Tampa, FL and often met my younger brother for lunch as he was the comptroller for his company and they discussed pricing, etc.

Next up: My wife and I have had 3 dogs. One had a condition known as Atypical Addison's Disease - an issue with the adrenal glands that results in a lack of production of sufficient corticosteroids. He was then on Prednisone the rest of his life. We now have a 1 year old pup who has been diagnosed with Atypical Addison's Disease. The vet says the odds of having 2 dogs with this same condition are astronomical.

I've just sent an email off to Luke at Steve White Motors to confirm that while it didn't take a direct hit the module was most likely damaged by the sudden impact right next to it.

Registered
Did the lights come on for all 4 sensors after you changed the tires and sensors or was the light on before tire/sensor change?
They make different sensors for different years. I wouldnt go cheap and replace them with a quality sensor. Some are automatic learn and some need the wand and be synced. If the indicator was on before you changed the 4 tires and sensors then youve probably got a separate issue. If they came on after the swap then sensors are wrong for the system.

Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
There is also a fuse for the TPM module

A Guy

Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
No damage to the wires going to the module. They are a couple inches below the impact point.

I'm all about odds. Served aboard ship in Vietnam with about 100 guys on the ship. In later years I discovered one of them went to church, and lived on the same country road as my aunt, in Cabello, NM (pop. 112). I also discovered another shipmate worked at the same copper mine outside of Tucson, AZ as 1 of my only 2 cousins. Next, I discovered another shipmate was a salesman for an electronics firm in Tampa, FL and often met my younger brother for lunch as he was the comptroller for his company and they discussed pricing, etc.

Next up: My wife and I have had 3 dogs. One had a condition known as Atypical Addison's Disease - an issue with the adrenal glands that results in a lack of production of sufficient corticosteroids. He was then on Prednisone the rest of his life. We now have a 1 year old pup who has been diagnosed with Atypical Addison's Disease. The vet says the odds of having 2 dogs with this same condition are astronomical.

I've just sent an email off to Luke at Steve White Motors to confirm that while it didn't take a direct hit the module was most likely damaged by the sudden impact right next to it.
Speaking of weird odds

One Tuesday on the way to get our haircuts (every 4 weeks) we got a call that my son was taking his wife to the emergency room for stomach pain, less than 12 hours later, emergency appendectomy!
Then 4 weeks later, on the way to get our haircuts we get a call that my son is going to the emergency room, less than 12 hours later, emergency appendectomy for him!
Back then I did the odds of a couple having this happen in the same 4 week span and it was in the millions, let alone exactly, almost to the hour 4 weeks apart.
And as for the module, pull the old one apart, and take a peek, and some pictures!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #20
Did the lights come on for all 4 sensors after you changed the tires and sensors or was the light on before tire/sensor change?
I have no question regarding the quality of the sensors as they've worked fine for 15 months. Prior to the tire blowing, the TPMS worked fine. When it blew, the yellow tire alert flashed and the tire pressure EVIC screen displayed with dashes (=) on each side of all 4 tire icons. The tire was replaced, all 4 sensors test good, and the yellow tire alert icon and the dashes all remain on. I suspect it is the module; but, I will check the fuse first. If it's good, which I suspect it will be, then I'll take the module apart. I didn't know it could be; so, I'll figure that out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts