Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this today. I am very puzzled
IMG_20210418_094647.jpg

I don't drive like a maniac, stay on well maintained roads, don't tailgate, but this the third time this kind of thing has happened. I am beginning to think the car is jinxed. Are these OEM windshields made out of the weakest glass in the world?

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can see the chip. It didn't crack at the time and just sat in the garage for a week before I noticed it. Maybe there was some stress or something when they installed it. But it seems that rocks are looking for this car. 6000 miles on Southern California highways and three windshields.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT/STP A8
233 Posts
I've been driving my Challenger for about 5 years and have had some rocks hit the windshield here and there. Luckily no cracking has occurred!

Per the others advise, steer clear of semis and the dirt hauling trucks!!!

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,931 Posts
Stay clear of the semi trucks. Every bit of damage ever done to my cars has been from semis. I avoid them like the plague. Get around them as fast as u can.
Additionally.....pay particular attention to your following distances behind ALL traffic.

Reactions: Byron and Gila Hemi

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
You can see the chip. It didn't crack at the time and just sat in the garage for a week before I noticed it. Maybe there was some stress or something when they installed it. But it seems that rocks are looking for this car. 6000 miles on Southern California highways and three windshields.
My advice (learned from 37 years running the interstates as a sales rep). Call your insurance company and have your deductible for comprehensive set to 0$. It will add like $15 to your 6 month premium. But, every windshield, or for that matter, any claim out of your control (deer, tree branches, hail etc.) is now covered 100%. I did it years ago after having to pay for several windshields. Has saved me a TON of money!!

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Additionally.....pay particular attention to your following distances behind ALL traffic.
Roger that.
My advice (learned from 37 years running the interstates as a sales rep). Call your insurance company and have your deductible for comprehensive set to 0$. It will add like $15 to your 6 month premium. But, every windshield, or for that matter, any claim out of your control (deer, tree branches, hail etc.) is now covered 100%. I did it years ago after having to pay for several windshields. Has saved me a TON of money!!
At 100 now. I will look into that. Fortunately I am still covered for the OEM glass. But not next year..

·
Premium Member
3,432 Posts
I always get full glass coverage with my insurance. Just a few bucks more. I've gone through tons of windshields in the 1980s and 1990s. It's tapered off over the past decade though. Most cracks were not due to the vehicles in front of me but the oncoming traffic spewing off stones from their tires as they go by. My last Challenger lasted one week before I needed the windshield changed. It is weak glass and by the way, so is the door glass. I've had door glass replaced when window tinters scratched them severely when cleaning the glass and knocking down the painted DOT emblem before applying the tint. On my Challengers a slight "ping" does damage. On my Grand Cherokee, I've taken hard hits and they didn't even leave a mark.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I’ll take the windshields from the 70’s any day, these windshields today are an abomination (garbage) to say the least...what you get for 30-90k is as follows: wavy castings, some kind of weird coating (you can never get it clean!!) easily micro marred and scratched, pits...the list is to long! agh

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,006 Posts
I too have replaced my windshield more than once. In some states, 100% glass coverage is a mandatory option at a reasonable cost. I'm fortunate enough to live in one of those states. BTW, be sure to always require OEM glass.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My coverage includes OEM glass. I am going to be extremely paranoid from this point forward.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
450 Posts
See if your insurance covers you for a brand new windshield. I know with mine (State Farm), they will replace my windshield at no cost to me. Must be in my plan or something.

Also, since you live in California, when on the highway avoid the dump trucks and the semi trucks carrying rocks or other debris like the plague. I live in Florida and its a common thing around here. So i avoid these vehicles all the time

Reactions: Ashoka

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Easier said then done, I'm afraid. I guess I should think about selling this car. What fun is it?

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a Ford Expedition that is 18 years old on the original windshield. I have never seen anything like this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think mostly it is the aerodynamics. The windshield is a chip magnet.
The front bumper also. Getting PPF on mine this friday

1 - 20 of 44 Posts