Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd look into Nitto tires if I were you. I don't know if you are on stock wheels or not, but I just placed my order for a set of NT555 265/50/18 front and NT555R (R Compound version) 305/45/18 rear. Ordered them from Discount tire at $191 per tire front and $238 per rear.

Nitto is one of the few companies that offers tires in 18 inch sizes that come in stock size diameters for the Challenger.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I've been slaving away on this premise, just as you. These cars seem notoriously hard to find suitable tire replacements in upgraded tread widths w/o having to consider changing up profiles, dia, yadda-yadda-yadda... I'm not particularly incentived to just stick with the original Michelins, either. My buddy keeps telling me that brand is the pinnacle of tire technology achievement, but my experiences have been distinctly unimpressed when it comes to wet traction, unimpressed for dry traction (particularly thrust traction), just generally unimpressed given their premium price. If it is just that the stock 235 widths are just not enough to keep that 4000 lb weight locked down, I could buy that, but I'm certainly not proposing to buy wider Michelins which would become even more ridiculously expensive.

I've been quietly studying the feasibility of a staggered setup with 235 wide Nitto 420's up front and an inexpensive 255 wide Toyo Proxes in the back...all sticking on the same 18" rims and maintaining to near-original sidewall height.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks alot. Yes when the I had the Michelins on the tires would melt away during heavy accel, in the snow ok, but in the rain terrible it was like riding on Ice. So a staggered set up what would be the best set-up for a 91 predator tuned, 180 stat, k&n drop in filter with drilled and slotted rotors and heavy duty brakes? May I have exact numbers for my stock 18" wheels please I'm not well versed when it comes to performance tire setup.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Well I have no idea if staggered will be the right move for details you spec'd on your car. I only know that is what seems like my car needs (which is pretty darn stock). I cannot even say how it works because I have yet to actually put it into place. The Nitto 420 on the fronts should be an exact oem match...235/55r18. The Toyo Proxes II in the rear should be 255/50r18...just a hair undersized in diameter.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
See if the Mich Hydroedge will fit. (I have SRT and wish they made my size)
I have them on my other DD and highly recommend them for performance and longevity.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have been looking at doing a tire change for two years. The Michelins on my car are pretty burnt (after only 21000 miles). In addition the tire width (235's) has allways bothered me - not fat enough. There are two setups I am considering:
2 Nitto 555 265/50/18 $360
2 Nitto 555 295/45/18 $480 (My tire guy will NOT install these on stock 18" rims)
4 American Eagle Boss 338 18x9.5 Wheels $149.99 * 4 = $600
Total Cost $1440

Or Just going 4 Nitto 555 265/50/18's
No need to change rims. Cost: $720

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Oh and be prepared for the "Are you sure you want different size tires front to back?" discussion when you go to your shop. Naturally, that will preclude tire rotations, and they will warn you that they will wear prematurely. I either you are ok with this or not...and if you go all the way to the shop w/o having thought this through, the shop will be inclined to believe you are getting in over your head on this decision. So when they ask you, your answer better be, "Yes, I'm aware of the rotation issue, and I accept the trade-offs."

As for the reality of the trade-offs of not rotating the tires, it could be anywhere in the range of "not nearly as bad as they make it out to be" to "yeah, this is a definite liability". It all depends on how well the balance of front-to-rear traction is achieved with the setup. If you drive such that a majority of loading occurs to the rears (lots of tire-challenging acceleration and power-oversteer antics), those wider rear tires will probably be up to the job better than the stock oem sizes. If, however, it is too much traction in the rear such that the fronts have to work harder to turn the car (due to an understeering behavior), then the fronts will probably be seeing premature wear (especially on the outer shoulder of the tread).

If you luck-out, all 4 tires will just happen to wear out as a set, or maybe just a pair of tires on one end will wear more frequently (but not excessively short life), such that you then only need to worry about replacing tires 2 at a time (which is easier on the pocketbook). If it is just a bad, bad situation, then you'll just see 4 tires wearing excessively quick in entirely different ways, and there is simply no recourse (since rotation is out of the picture) other than frequent replacements.

So that is why I picked the particular combo of tires I did. A nice grippy tire up front to ensure I don't fall into the understeering zone after putting wider tires on the back, while the wider tires on the back are there to augment the thrust traction to better handle the awesome Hemi torque as you mash it in first. I picked those tires specifically because it looks like the tread blocks on the shoulder are fairly compliant to allow a bit of oversteer-play to help the fronts. I did not select a sporty/grippy tire for the rear, because I feel in a wider tire, it would simply be too much for the fronts, and then I would be in that nasty understeer scenario.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.