Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious, if there are any recommendations for securing your Challengers.

Right now, I have the factory alarm and a garage that I am fortunate enough to be able to park in.

Alarm systems, Lojack, EVTS.
From my understanding, they are going to start releasing Onstar as an aftermarket add-on as well.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I had a VIPER on my previous car and loved it, remote start + lcd screen on the fob, the only issue is you have a seperate, big key, which is why I opted for the mopar remote start so I could keep our sleek all in one key.

However I don't have the security of the Viper, the Viper had a mile range, and whenever anything bumped it, it would trigger the alarm and let me know via the 2-way on the Viper fob that someone was messing with the car, this would work even if I was in the mall, in a movie, or in my apartment, best alarm system I've ever owned, but the hassle of carrying a second fob, and having to tango with the Viper Fob WHEN you actually have keyless go, just wasn't worth it imo.

But if you're looking for cream of the crop, get a Viper system, they are incredible. I'd avoid Lojack and all that crap, because the skill required to take the Challenger would mean whoever took it more than likely know what they are doing, kind of a waste of money unless you want the insurance write off (sometimes they will write off the entire Lojack cost I hear)

·
Super Moderator
13,974 Posts
The best "bang for your buck" security system is the Ravelco. For about $300, it will be professionally installed in your driveway and will totally immobilize your car. Since 1976, it has been installed on 4 million vehicles without a theft. Highly recommended. I have it in my SRT. Read about it at:

Ravelco - About Us Page

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I Had this in a jeep Cherokee I used to own. It is great if you use it correctly. The problem is that it has a key that has to be installed in a plug. Mine was under the dashboard. This doesn't sound like a big deal to have to use two "keys " to start your car. For me, it was a pain in the butt. I found that I just left the ant-theft key plugged in all the time. This left the car in a condition as if it had no anti-theft protection at all. I was using it wrong but I found it very inconvenient to use correctly.

The best "bang for your buck" security system is the Ravelco. For about $300, it will be professionally installed in your driveway and will totally immobilize your car. Since 1976, it has been installed on 4 million vehicles without a theft. Highly recommended. I have it in my SRT. Read about it at:

Ravelco - About Us Page

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
I had a guy that deals with heavy equipment (tractors and such) tell me all anyone needed to do was back up these new tow truck lifts, and roll it away. He said they would do this and send the cars over to europe,. Kinda freaked me out...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
IMHO, if somebody really wants it, they will get it. Thats what insurance is for.

I'm good with the factory set-up.
:bigthumb: my thoughts exactly

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I had a VIPER on my previous car and loved it, remote start + lcd screen on the fob, the only issue is you have a seperate, big key, which is why I opted for the mopar remote start so I could keep our sleek all in one key.

However I don't have the security of the Viper, the Viper had a mile range, and whenever anything bumped it, it would trigger the alarm and let me know via the 2-way on the Viper fob that someone was messing with the car, this would work even if I was in the mall, in a movie, or in my apartment, best alarm system I've ever owned, but the hassle of carrying a second fob, and having to tango with the Viper Fob WHEN you actually have keyless go, just wasn't worth it imo.

But if you're looking for cream of the crop, get a Viper system, they are incredible. I'd avoid Lojack and all that crap, because the skill required to take the Challenger would mean whoever took it more than likely know what they are doing, kind of a waste of money unless you want the insurance write off (sometimes they will write off the entire Lojack cost I hear)
The problem of a 2nd big fob has been removed with the advent of the android smart phones. They released an app. Now you just have your phone.

Viper SmartStart for Android - Features

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The factory system is relatively quite good.
Without the FOB in the car, it's actually never going to start. So, the only option left to theives is to tow your car.
A Lojack (the active one) is constantly "pigning" the central it's GPS position.
Should the car move (get towed) without the Lojack's respective FOB in the car, THE CAR WILL SIGNAL ITS BEING STOLEN and send the law after it without any input from anyone.

No worries Amigo...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts