Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting together a hopefully quick street car and haven't played with the gen 3 hemi's at all. It'll be turbocharged and I'm hoping to use as many stock components as possible (block, heads, crank?, rods?). I've read the weakest link is the pistons so those will have to go I suppose. Thinking about going non-intercooled and e85. Worst-case an a2a with pump gas on the street and c16 for the track.

Just wanted to see if anyone has done something similar and what they've learned along the way.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Yes...

I'm sure someone has "Stroked a 5.7 to 426 ci," forged the pistons, cam and rods....and added a huge blower that was augmented with NOS. They probably changed the differential/drive shaft, added bigger fuel pumps, and cooling systems. That is what any 1000 HP car will need. The block becomes "irrelevant" as a 392 is a stroked 5.7.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure someone has "Stroked a 5.7 to 426 ci," forged the pistons, cam and rods....and added a huge blower that was augmented with NOS. They probably changed the differential/drive shaft, added bigger fuel pumps, and cooling systems. That is what any 1000 HP car will need. The block becomes "irrelevant" as a 392 is a stroked 5.7.
I didn't mean to sound like I didn't know what was involved in a build like this because I have a pretty good idea. I'm just trying to learn the ins and outs of this particular platform and the best place to learn is from the guys who have been there and done that.

My initial thoughts are to pickup a used 5.7 eagle out of a wrecked car (a lot more of those available compared to the 6.1 or 6.4s) and keep it around stock cubes with stock heads (upgraded valvetrain) and a single turbo with a th400 or powerglide behind it. But those initial thoughts might not be right for the gen 3 hemi stuff. That's why I'm here. :)

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Sounds like a plan...

I didn't mean to sound like I didn't know what was involved in a build like this because I have a pretty good idea. I'm just trying to learn the ins and outs of this particular platform and the best place to learn is from the guys who have been there and done that.

My initial thoughts are to pickup a used 5.7 eagle out of a wrecked car (a lot more of those available compared to the 6.1 or 6.4s) and keep it around stock cubes with stock heads (upgraded valvetrain) and a single turbo with a th400 or powerglide behind it. But those initial thoughts might not be right for the gen 3 hemi stuff. That's why I'm here. :)
You will have a fast car...but I doubt 1000 HP. All of the 1000 HP Challengers that I heard about were former twin turbo 6.1's. I could be wrong...but the 6.1 seems to be the motor you would want.

Reactions: ghostrt

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like some trial and error is in store for me. Figured there'd be several guys who have built this type of combo.

·
Vendor
12,941 Posts
that type of power in a somewhat reliable format, will require a custom built engine with new block, crank, rods, pistons, basically everything, nothing of your 5.7L will remain in the new build

will require turbos, large supercharger, KB or Wipple, new transmission, driveshaft, and all new complete rear end assembly....

something in the mid 50k's, maybe more, not trying to burst any bubbles

Luke

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that type of power in a somewhat reliable format, will require a custom built engine with new block, crank, rods, pistons, basically everything, nothing of your 5.7L will remain in the new build

will require turbos, large supercharger, KB or Wipple, new transmission, driveshaft, and all new complete rear end assembly....

something in the mid 50k's, maybe more, not trying to burst any bubbles

Luke
I'm just talking about the engine. That's the only new part for me. And I'm going to use the big stuff 3 system I already have to control it. I'll fab the turbo hot and cold side myself as well. Really just trying to get feedback on what block, crank, pistons, heads to use. Not all the supporting mods like rear, susp, etc. Like I said, the only new part is this particular platform. I've had some decently quick stuff in the past without a big budget.

Can anyone with a similar build post up their major parts list?

Already looking for a stock 5.7 to mock up the turbo kit if anyone has anything laying around.

·
Vendor
12,941 Posts
would start with aluminum block P5155507 or P5155630, from there a rotating assembly from API or another reputable supplier, etc
Luke

·
Vendor
12,941 Posts
w9 headed R3 siamese small block build for my Dart is approaching 20k's and it not a assembled engine yet, target hps 1200 at the wheels and 1000ft/lbs with twin turbos, by the time its a complete running engine, not including turbos etc
will be approaching 26 or 28k
no such thing as a 1000 hps build on a budget......:)
luke

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
w9 headed R3 siamese small block build for my Dart is approaching 20k's and it not a assembled engine yet, target hps 1200 at the wheels and 1000ft/lbs with twin turbos, by the time its a complete running engine, not including turbos etc
will be approaching 26 or 28k
no such thing as a 1000 hps build on a budget......:)
luke
You can build 1000 hp for x, 2x or 5x. I'm going for x which I'd call a budget build versus the other options. An alum block would be a 2x or 5x type of build. Not saying this can be done cheap, but I think it can be done in a thrifty manner. Hoping this site can help with that.

My last small block (Chevy) made 1200 at the wheels on kiddie boost. And the motor cost me $18k including the turbo kit (without turbo). But I want to do something different.

·
Vendor
12,941 Posts
im not saying that it cannot be done, however reliability equal money spent, building a cheap high hps engine will most likely result in near future catastrophic failures

best of luck, keep us posted

Luke

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im not saying that it cannot be done, however reliability equal money spent, building a cheap high hps engine will most likely result in near future catastrophic failures

best of luck, keep us posted

Luke
Well the alum block is a good example. Not really adding reliability but adds a significant amount of cost.

I'll keep this thread updated for sure. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Get stock block, bore it and get forged crank, rods, and pistons, heads, cam, 6.1 intake, ARP everything holding it together and then lots of boost. Might get you close to what you are looking for.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Get stock block, bore it and get forged crank, rods, and pistons, heads, cam, 6.1 intake, ARP everything holding it together and then lots of boost. Might get you close to what you are looking for.
Shouldn't need lots of boost. But I guess "lots" is relative.

I'm thinking stock heads, block, and crank. Don't think boring it much will really be a benefit. Were you suggesting it for the added displacement or for unshrouding valves? 6.1 intakes are a bit pricey and hard to find. What do you think of a carb intake and elbow instead?

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Carb intake and elbow would work too. I know some guys that have seen good numbers off the XV style intake with boost. Although naturally aspirated that style loses a large amount of power. Boring for added displacement = more power. Stock crank will work fine. Forged pistons and rods are a must.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts