Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my '15 6MT R/T + Shaker for a daily driver and have had issues with notchy, clunky shifting. Many have suggested the Barton, which I love the feel of but seems to get stuck more than the stock shifter. Barton seems to think it's normal for it to be like this because there's less rubber than the stock shifter, but I find it hard to believe people that are racing with a barton shifter would deal with any of that noise. Looking to hear from others experience. I have removed CDV and added skip shift eliminator. The transmission being suspect by a Dodge shop was completely replaced (not new because new trans only go to the assembly line). Feels better than it did but something else still going on.

Maybe or may not be related is getting occasionally stuck in gear and pumping the clutch a few times pops it out. I was hoping/wondering if resolving that would lead to the reason for difficulty getting into gear as well.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
614 Posts
It's been a while ... but were you the person that was primarily having an issue shifting from 1st to 2nd? If so, that's a non-issue for "spirited" driving as you rarely - if ever - end up all the way back to 1st gear.

I've driven the Tail of the Dragon a couple of times with my Barton shifter and believe that the Barton added to the experience. It certainly didn't detract from it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It was probably me. I've been up on here complaining about my car for a while :) I now understand 1-2 shift notchiness is expected and can be fixed by replacing with carbon synchros.. these issues i find are between 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Thanks for the feedback

P.S. Had to look up tail of the dragon. Looks fun!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I’m an avid drag racer with my M6 Challenger. I don’t really experience the notchiness you were referring to with my Barton. I will say if you ever have to go into 5th with the Barton you can not no lift shift as it takes effort trying to get it in 5 gear due to the spring design the Barton’s come with. High speed shifts have been a breeze for me and I’m geared fairly high compared to most as I have 4:29:1 ratios out back in my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
614 Posts
"..... P.S. Had to look up tail of the dragon. Looks fun!"
Let's just say that 318 curves in 11 miles will keep you busy in a car the size of a Challenger. But it's a heckuva lot of fun. I'm smart enough to pull over and let the motorcycles and Mini Coopers have their fun.

·
Registered
614 Posts
It was probably me. I've been up on here complaining about my car for a while :) I now understand 1-2 shift notchiness is expected and can be fixed by replacing with carbon synchros.. these issues i find are between 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Thanks for the feedback

P.S. Had to look up tail of the dragon. Looks fun!
do not have an issue with 3rd, 4th or 5th, rarely see 6th except at VIR or NOLA
I swear by the Barton

View attachment 996589

@GreenHornet15 ... If you're anywhere near North Carolina, you should let the guys at Steve White Motors diagnose your clutch issue. Or at least let them drive your car and tell you whether your car is "right" or not.

Reactions: GreenHornet15

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a few video clips to get an idea of what I'm dealing with. For about the first 20 minutes it drove perfectly. Got stuck in gear once but wasn't too hard to get out. These were out in the highway up in 4th gear going back and forth between 3rd and 4th with the clutch to the floor

New video by Jesse Roper

New video by Jesse Roper

You can't see much but you can definitely hear crunching and clicking between 3rd and 4th gear. Can you help tell me what you think that is? Sounds awful and feels worse.

Thank you!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@GreenHornet15 ... If you're anywhere near North Carolina, you should let the guys at Steve White Motors diagnose your clutch issue. Or at least let them drive your car and tell you whether your car is "right" or not.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. It may be worth a road trip even if it can tell me if I need a new clutch or a new car.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I got tired of getting locked out of 3rd gear at the drag strip , even with a Barton Shifter. Nothing worse than having a great launch, solid 1st to 2nd shift, and then having to fight 3rd gear. Installed a N2MB WOT Box and all that went away. I love the no lift shift feature and the 2 step is solid.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,681 Posts
Here is something I have noticed ever since I found my oil/air separator leak on my A2 speed valve cover. The 1st to 2nd notchiness felt more present which I attribute to the 2000rpm hang I was getting. Even in stock form the engine speed seemed to hang a little during shifts. Wonder if there is something tune-wise that can remove the annoying throttle hang. Lots of folks on HP tuners forum complain about it but I have yet to see a definitive solution.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Here is something I have noticed ever since I found my oil/air separator leak on my A2 speed valve cover. The 1st to 2nd notchiness felt more present which I attribute to the 2000rpm hang I was getting. Even in stock form the engine speed seemed to hang a little during shifts. Wonder if there is something tune-wise that can remove the annoying throttle hang. Lots of folks on HP tuners forum complain about it but I have yet to see a definitive solution.
I would bet that it can be tuned out, but that is above my pay grade. I think it's one of those things programmed into the car to help the manufacturer meet EPA requirements.

The Engineering Explained guy has a video on YouTube that explains why it exists. Here: Rev Hang Explained

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wondering if people were able to check out the videos I posted above to compare your noise/crunching experience to mine. I'm willing to bet other people do not have this experience or they would not brag about how much they love their barton shifter

·
Vendor
12,441 Posts
recommend you seek a reputable dealer with lots of experience with these cars

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just installed a used Barton I bought off eBay in my 2016 Scat Pack. I've lurked here for some time and joined specifically to make this post.

First, I'd like to shout out to Barton. They were happy to provide the parts I was missing and over-delivered. Great customer service as one would expect from a strong company that understands the passion of their peeps.

Second, Wow. Just Wow. I'm sure y'all have read countless comments that talk about how much better the Barton product is over stock, but it's true; 100%. Sheeeeit! I really thought I had lost my MT mojo and would be doomed to automatics for the remainder of my life, since apparently I no longer knew how to shift smoothly. The Barton cures all that. I have not missed third once since the install.

If you do NOTHING else to your SRT, install a Barton shifter and you'll be happy as hell you did.

WORTH. EVERY. PENNY.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,615 Posts
But you liked it, right? :D Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Stick around

A Guy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts