Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger 1320
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got the chance to trade in my 2019 R/T Plus (5.7) on a 2021 Hellrasin 1320 Challenger and I'm beyond excited! Already have plans to get the hood, roof, and trunk wrapped, as well as getting Xpell sheeting on the front end for extra protection. But I do have a few questions (both 6.4 and 1320 specific) that I was hoping to get some help on.
(1) In regards to the break-in period, what do you recommend? I believe I saw it in the manual about 500 miles for the break in period, but I've also been told to wait until 1,500 miles and then to get an oil change prior to doing anything with it (I'm getting the oil changed regardless). EDIT: I should have noted as regards to the break-in period, that I plan on going very easy on it and following the manual for the first 500 Miles (just for my peace of mind if nothing else), the wondering I did have was if I should wait till 1,500 to do anything or just 500.
(2) I currently have a set of Demon replica tires (275 9.5in front and 315 10.5in rears) from my R/T that I was debating on keeping or selling to a friend of mine. The problem comes with the 1320 package's rear suspension and the way it squats on the launch. I Suppose the question would be for the 1320 people on this one: what would you recommend being the maximum wheel size for the car? If the 275s are it that's completely fine.
(3) For the 1320 people: When it comes to drag racing the car, do you actually ever try to use the trans-break or just brake-foot it (excuse my terrible terminology) on the launch? I usually race at a local 1/8 track on Fridays (nothing professional, I don't have the skill for that yet) but was wondering what the general rule-of-thumb would be for that.

Thanks again for the help! I'll make sure to post some pics when she gets here!

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. As for break in here is the guidelines.
In a nutshell:
Easy for the first 500 miles.
Gently exercise it up to 1K miles.
No racing/tracking until after 1500 miles.
Enjoy!

Attachments

Reactions: A Ferb

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger 1320
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the new ride. As for break in here is the guidelines.
In a nutshell:
Easy for the first 500 miles.
Gently exercise it up to 1K miles.
No racing/tracking until after 1500 miles.
Enjoy!
Appreciate it and the attachment, definitely helps. Thank you!

·
Registered
2019 1320 ScatPack PBM
177 Posts
I was extremely easy on the gas pedal for 1st 500 miles, did a 2000 mile road trip with varying speeds to " get to know" the car, changed oil and started taking it to the track. Ive done both trans brake and foot brake and at this point prefer foot brake, but track time has been limited with both. Ive used M/Ts tires, 305s on the rear are as wide as ive gone. Hoosier 17" x 9.5 slicks n skinnies on front are what I use on track n stay with stock tires for street. Just me n what ive done, so far. Enjoy!

·
Registered
561 Posts
How do the 305's fit on the car? I'm assuming you have to use some spacers or trim some of the plastic wheel well inside?

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
801 Posts
Ive had new cars and MANY new trucks and drove them off the lot and never thought about a breakin. I just drive it like you normaly do and avoid full power pulls for maybe the first 1000. But me? I doubt i could even do that. i can honestly say not one car truck motorcyle snowmobile atv or boat ive bought has go any regimented break in. Ive seen motors pulled with 20k on them that still had cross hatching on the cylinders so what game changing thing is going to happen on a 1500 mile break in.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,512 Posts
305s and 315s will fit without spacers with correct offset wheels. Some do 315s with no alterations at all, some with some minor massaging

A Guy

Reactions: A Ferb

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
388 Posts
Congrats! Great choice in color too!

Break it in however you feel comfortable, whether that's by the book or not. Personally, I drove as I normally would for the most part for the first 500 miles. That means 'spirited' lol. I don't take it easy but I stop just short of full WOT. Then once 500 miles hits all bets are off. I was already at the drag strip with mine with only 700 miles on it and only waited until then because I couldn't get to the track immediately at the 500 mark. This was my 4th vehicle I've broken in this way and never had any issues and engines all ran PERFECT for as long as I owned them. Plus I look at it this way, Dodge locks up the Transbrake until you hit 500 miles. If 500 miles wasn't enough to start using the transbrake, which you would only use for hard launching and racing, then Dodge would have kept it locked up longer.

For the wheels, my drag setup I use 10" wide rear wheels wrapped in 305s. No issues with that width at all. I know another guy who just got a 21 Hellraisin 1320 who immediately put 11"wheels wrapped in 315s. He said he just had to trim a little bit of the plastic liner but no issues otherwise.

For launches I'd say 98% of 1320 owners just footbrake it. Some go off idle, some raise the rpms. There's some debate about which gives faster times. I base it on the tree. If the track is running Pro Tree, I'll launch at around 2300 rpm as that helps my reaction time. With a Full tree I can go off idle, but I've only run a Full tree once so I haven't fully dialed in my best launch technique on it with the 1320.

The trans-brake is a bit trickier. There's a lot of steps to it and if you mess up at any step the car will go into limp mode as it resets itself, meanwhile your opponent is already half way down the track. Those 2% or so that use it, practice it a LOT to try and make it second nature. I have yet to use it at the track myself, since in bracket racing consistency is what wins races, so I don't really need Dodge's oddly setup transbrake for that.

Reactions: lws43 and A Ferb

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,982 Posts
Ask 6 people about break in and you get 7 opinions.

My advice is to adhere to the break in guidelines in the owners manual. Why risk early engine damage by engaging in improper usage early in the engine's life? Not worth it.

Further I would offer unless forbidden by the owners manual have the oil changed early. I've changed the oil in new vehicles anywhere from 500 miles to 1500 miles. It just depends.... For example with my 2018 Hellcat oil got dark pretty quick after I bought the car and I had the oil changed at 500 miles. My new 2018 MINI JCW had no dipstick but it was turbo charged and turbo charged engines -- like super charged engines -- tend to contaminate engine oil at a higher rate than N/A engines. So I had the oil changed at something less than 600 miles.

Ditto with my 2020 M-B cargo van and its turbo charged engine.

OTOH, my 2020 Scat Pack's oil -- via the dipstick -- remained quite "fresh" looking and I waited until around 1500 miles before I changed the oil.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack 1320
19 Posts
I just got the chance to trade in my 2019 R/T Plus (5.7) on a 2021 Hellrasin 1320 Challenger and I'm beyond excited! Already have plans to get the hood, roof, and trunk wrapped, as well as getting Xpell sheeting on the front end for extra protection. But I do have a few questions (both 6.4 and 1320 specific) that I was hoping to get some help on.
(1) In regards to the break-in period, what do you recommend? I believe I saw it in the manual about 500 miles for the break in period, but I've also been told to wait until 1,500 miles and then to get an oil change prior to doing anything with it (I'm getting the oil changed regardless). EDIT: I should have noted as regards to the break-in period, that I plan on going very easy on it and following the manual for the first 500 Miles (just for my peace of mind if nothing else), the wondering I did have was if I should wait till 1,500 to do anything or just 500.
(2) I currently have a set of Demon replica tires (275 9.5in front and 315 10.5in rears) from my R/T that I was debating on keeping or selling to a friend of mine. The problem comes with the 1320 package's rear suspension and the way it squats on the launch. I Suppose the question would be for the 1320 people on this one: what would you recommend being the maximum wheel size for the car? If the 275s are it that's completely fine.
(3) For the 1320 people: When it comes to drag racing the car, do you actually ever try to use the trans-break or just brake-foot it (excuse my terrible terminology) on the launch? I usually race at a local 1/8 track on Fridays (nothing professional, I don't have the skill for that yet) but was wondering what the general rule-of-thumb would be for that.

Thanks again for the help! I'll make sure to post some pics when she gets here!
It is not easy to stay with the recommended break-in but I believe I did for the most part. The one thing I found concerning is my 2020 1320 Scat came with street legal racing slicks and the grip is fantastic but driving on a rainy day can be dangerous. I have nearly 10,000 on it now. Did my first oil change at 1500 and went to synthetic Mobil 1, I have since changed the oil every 4,000 miles and it came out looking like mild tea. One additional item I did install is a catch can and I get about two ounces of oil in the catch can when I have the oil changed. So I would definitely recommend a catch can, please understand I do not drive passively.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
It is not easy to stay with the recommended break-in but I believe I did for the most part. The one thing I found concerning is my 2020 1320 Scat came with street legal racing slicks and the grip is fantastic but driving on a rainy day can be dangerous. I have nearly 10,000 on it now. Did my first oil change at 1500 and went to synthetic Mobil 1, I have since changed the oil every 4,000 miles and it came out looking like mild tea. One additional item I did install is a catch can and I get about two ounces of oil in the catch can when I have the oil changed. So I would definitely recommend a catch can, please understand I do not drive passively.
Not sure why you felt it was necessary to switch from the synthetic Pennzoil oil to a synthetic Mobil 1 oil especially given the Mobil 1 is not approved for use in the 6.4l engine.

As for the 2 ounce of oil in the catch can... Hardly significant. My info is pump gas comes with around an ounce of oil per gallon -- added to protect against corrosion of any ferrous metal the gasoline comes in contact with -- so in 10K miles at say 25mpg you have burned 400 gallons of gasoline and around 400 ounces of oil.

And had you taken the time to clean the intake manifold walls of any oil residue and then checked for this later you would have found some oil still makes it through the catch can.

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack
171 Posts
Mobil 1 0w-40 will be just fine. The whole recommendation/certification thing is just about money companies pay each other. It’s funny before the Italians bought Chrysler they were all in on Mobil 1 after FCA they all Pennzoil/Shell.
With that being said my engine will probably only see Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and an SRT filter.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
4,489 Posts
Mobil 1 0w-40 will be just fine. The whole recommendation/certification thing is just about money companies pay each other. It’s funny before the Italians bought Chrysler they were all in on Mobil 1 after FCA they all Pennzoil/Shell.
With that being said my engine will probably only see Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and an SRT filter.
Yep, only a money issue, like when your warranty is voided over saving $20. Personally, I'm not risking it.
FWIW, I just got my oil changed by Dodge. They discounted the oil from $14/qt down to $8.xx, and used a 10% off service coupon. I think it came out to about $80, not much more. At that price, I'll probably just do the winter changes myself, and have them do the summer change when I get it inspected every year.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack 1320
19 Posts
Not sure why you felt it was necessary to switch from the synthetic Pennzoil oil to a synthetic Mobil 1 oil especially given the Mobil 1 is not approved for use in the 6.4l engine.

As for the 2 ounce of oil in the catch can... Hardly significant. My info is pump gas comes with around an ounce of oil per gallon -- added to protect against corrosion of any ferrous metal the gasoline comes in contact with -- so in 10K miles at say 25mpg you have burned 400 gallons of gasoline and around 400 ounces of oil.

And had you taken the time to clean the intake manifold walls of any oil residue and then checked for this later you would have found some oil still makes it through the catch can.
So are you saying the catch can is a useless POS? As for the Mobil1 I have used it for my 2006 Charger RT, my 2013 Challenger RT each purchased new and have never had an issue with the 5.7 hemi they never used more than a 1/2 quart between oil changes which typically were between 6 or 7 k per oil change and the drained oil still looked like light tea in color just saying.

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack
171 Posts
So are you saying the catch can is a useless POS? As for the Mobil1 I have used it for my 2006 Charger RT, my 2013 Challenger RT each purchased new and have never had an issue with the 5.7 hemi they never used more than a 1/2 quart between oil changes which typically were between 6 or 7 k per oil change and the drained oil still looked like light tea in color just saying.
Mobil 1 is only good for Aston Martin, Bentley, Cadillac CTS-V, Camaro Z-28, Corvette, Mercedes-AMG, Nissan GT-R, Porsche, and even Vipers.
I don’t think I’d loose sleep of a fresh fill of Mobil 1 in a Dodge.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Pretty much yes. 2 ounces of oil caught in the catch can vs. how many ounces that were passed through or burned with the gasoline? A catch can is a solution to a non existent problem.

As for Mobil 1 I ran this oil for years in my Porsche cars, my GTO and even my VW Golf TDi. The oil was approved by the auto maker for these various makes/models of cars. Mobil 1 oil proved to be a good oil probably still is. But Dodge does not recognize Mobil 1 as suitable for use in its engines at least the more modern ones. So I do not use Mobil 1 but what Dodge recommends.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
4,489 Posts
How is your warranty going to be voided?
You said "Mobil 1 will be just fine". I agree, it probably is just fine. It doesn't meet the requirements though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts