Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been a MOPAR fan for the past 5 years as a Challenger owner. I was raised with Fords and Chevy's/GMCs and owned quite a few GMs and Honda over the years, but......

My first car was a 1971 AMC Javelin. Even though my mechanic dad taught me how to work on cars and trucks from the time I was old enough to hold a wrench, this was MY car and the one I worked on myself. It wasn't one of the big 3 brands that all my friends had and had a style that was just, well, different from all the rest.

Most people consider AMC cars to be poorly executed MOPAR and Ford knock-offs, and other than Mark Donohue running rough-shod over the Trans-Am circuit in Javelins in 1970/71, AMC never really challenged the big-three in performance, or popularity. Now, they're rare, collectible, and still just as different as they always were.

If you're on this forum and a closet AMC fan, post some photos/stories of your favorite examples of these oddities of the Muscle/Pony car era.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This 1971 Javelin looks almost exactly like the one I had. Same color, same slotted mag wheels (I didn't have the SST hood and mine was a 304, 3AT). But this "looks" like my first car. At one point, I blacked out the bumper and all the chrome. No photo evidence exists. The '71 had this interesting indented grill (one of the first if not the first American made car to have an injection molded grill).

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
My parents were total AMC car people; that's all they would buy.

I learned to drive in an AMC Hornet, 3-on-the-tree.

My first car was a 1973 Javelin. 304 ci automatic with a slapstick. Maroon with a white vinyl roof. Loved that car, but it was a boat to drive in the snow; ALL the weight was in the front and I had to put pig iron ingots in the trunk to get traction.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My first car was a 1973 Javelin. 304 ci automatic with a slapstick. Maroon with a white vinyl roof. Loved that car, but it was a boat to drive in the snow; ALL the weight was in the front and I had to put pig iron ingots in the trunk to get traction.
I drove my '71 all winter too. Weight was my summer rear tires on wheels and an some 50lb sacks of cement powder. Studded snow tires helped (some).

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Here's my favorite '73 Javelin. Love this color, the white interior, the wheels and the white stripe.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
The AMX and Javelin were the only cool bodies produced by AMC. They could really run with a 390 engine. The other models- Rambler, Rebel, Matador, Ambassador and Gremlin were butt ugly.

When you think of all the great cars that were produced by MOPAR, GM and Ford in the late 60s/early 70s, you had to be a different kind of a guy to choose an AMC over them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I bought my first car when I was 15. It was a 1968 AMX 4speed manual that was kind of rusty brown in color. Although the engine was in excellent condition as the previous owner had done some performance work on it the body was rough. Luckily a close family member owned a paint and body repair shop and helped restore the body. It spent most of the winter in his garage where I would go after school to work with him on the body. I'm sure I was probably more in the way than actually a help but by spring it was ready for paint. We decided on an orange color I picked from a color chart, a color that would be real close to todays Hemi Orange. He really did a top quality job on it and I ended up with the best looking car in school. If you remember the AMX version only had 2 seats both of which layed flat. The passenger seat would slam flat from the upright position when taking off full throttle which was a fun trick to pull on the unsuspecting friend! I see one occasionally at local car shows and it sure brings back memories.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
I always liked the AMX. My friend had a '68 or '69 with the 390 and a 4-speed. They only weighed about 3,000 pounds so were relatively quick for what it was. And I can remember sitting on the rug he installed in the back more than once. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Loved the AMX......and the chopped look rear GREMLIN was cool with a V-8.....the Pacer was too round.

My Aunt Louise used to work at the AMC World Headquarters on Plymouth Rd. in Detroit.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The AMXs and Javelins were the "stars" of the line, but I always thought the Rebel was uber-cool. Looks strikingly like the same model year GTX/RoadRunner/SuperBee.

This is a 1968 Rebel. The scoops and black hood are sharp in this example.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts