Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2019 R/T Plus a few days ago, it had been sitting in a dealer lot for a bit prior. I noticed when I was cleaning the car there were a few things that had been messed up a bit (i.e. scratch on rear spoiler, door ding on passenger side, some minor paint flaws/ damage). Have any of you had a similar experience when picking up either a new or used Challenger?

·
Registered
854 Posts
When I got my 13’ Challenger, there were a couple issues I had fixed before I took the car.
Scratch in the plastic on one of the seats (had to replace the whole piece it was so bad) and a scuff in the rear quarter that they buffed out.

You really gotta do a detailed walk around before taking a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,712 Posts
I bought my 2019 R/T Plus a few days ago, it had been sitting in a dealer lot for a bit prior. I noticed when I was cleaning the car there were a few things that had been messed up a bit (i.e. scratch on rear spoiler, door ding on passenger side, some minor paint flaws/ damage). Have any of you had a similar experience when picking up either a new or used Challenger?
Unfortunately cars that sit on the lot can get some damage. I've observed a few times parents letting their kids run wild and a scratch or something -- minor to be sure but real nonetheless -- is bound to happen.

Even adults can be clumsy. One can lean against a car's fender to view the window sticker the dealer insists on putting on the dash rather than leaving it on the passenger window and belt buckle can leave a minor scratch.

More serious damage is also possible. Cars get moved all the time on the lot and in and out of the dealer showroom. I was at a dealer the other day -- name and even brand shall remain nameless -- and watched as a salesman was moving cars in/out of the showroom. He started to drive a new car out the showroom double doors when someone shouted at him. One door had swung partially closed and had the shout not stopped him he probably would have driven the car into the door. A damaged front bumper cover (at least) would have been the result.

Best advice I can offer is before you accept the car give it a thorough inspection. Look for scratches, dents, paint flaws, signs the wheels have been scuffed. Check the door edges for signs they have been opened against another car.

Check the front hood and rear trunk lid hinge fasteners for any signs of wrenching. Check the bolts that hold the front fenders to the car for any signs of wrenching. Now in some cases the hinge bolts can be wrenched upon after factory assembly to adjust the fit of the hood or trunk lid. Why Dodge can't ensure these have the proper fit when assembled is beyond me.

If you find say the front hood hinges have had wrenching done check the bolts/fasteners of the radiator and any structural members at the front of the car. Any wrenching sign at these locations can mean the car was damaged in that area and some repairs were made.

Check the head light and tail light fits.

Check inside. The plastic that covers the dash display is soft and can be scratched by someone wiping a finger on its surface with some dust on the surface. The LCD screen can be poked. Someone can sit in a seat with something sharp in his pocket and poke a hole in the seat material. (This can be a less than experienced tech who does the PDI.)

Years ago I looked at a new Mercedes Benz and when I went to check out the back seat room found someone had kicked a hole through some plastic panel in the back seat area.

In short check everything. Often you'll find nothing amiss but the time you fail to check is when you wish you had.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Oh, they can have damage, alright. When I finally got a chance to go pick up my '18, some 14 days after it was purchased (in a somewhat convoluted dealer trade) it was not a pretty sight.

Once sold, they had apparently parked it out back (mostly), so it was quite filthy. But that's okay, they had naturally assumed that the selling dealer would clean it up, not that I would show up with their trade and get it.

Despite all the dirt, I noticed a door ding, perfectly matching the vehicle next to it. Oh well.

But it was when getting into it to drive it up on the trailer that I got angry. All the photos and paperwork showed 16 miles on the odo, now it had 50 on it. And the rear tires showed that it hadn't been easy miles.

Pointing these things out to the sales manager, I was basically told to go pound sand.
Lesson learned. I will never, ever, buy anything from a certain dealer in Provo, UT. And most likely not from any of their dealerships.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Before I drove my '13 R/T home brand new off the lot I had them buff out the rail dust that was all over the rear quarters...right in the clear coat. You def got to check the car out thouroghly before you give them your hard earned money.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
On last years hot rod, had dent on the roof two inches up from where the drivers window and rear window meet, a misaligned hood along with a left rear tail light gap that was a mess. Didn't want the dealer to touch anything so I haven't had my dent guy over as of yet. Fixed the tail light gap but the most annoying thing was trying to find a window cleaner that would remove all the stains off the windows. It was really hard to see out of them in the sunlight until I finally found something that took care of that issue...

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brand new 2017 Gt had scratches and nicks on it, looked like they were from the buckles they use to strap the car in when they transport it. Dealer agreed to take car of it and sent it to a body ship about a week after I drove it home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts