Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been all over the net, and found alot of feed back about other cars.
Not much on Challenger SRT 8's specificaly.
Was looking at the magnaflow competetion set-up vs flowmasters american thunder.

Of course I want the HEMI to breath better (in & out), eliminate as much back pressure as possible, but I guess my 2nd biggest goal is to stop the remarks of, "that doesn't sound like a 6.1 L HEMI..." that I get when hanging around friends and family (dang mustang 5.0 owners)!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thought I read somewhere on here and someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the SRT gurus made a pretty good, low-restrictive exhaust already on the Challenger.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I think if you get the flow-through design, that's pretty much eliminating any of the "bad" backpressure. You should be sure to maintain pipe diameters around and inside whatever muffler you get, to maintain the "good" backpressure. Once you go bigger, you'll kill gas velocity, and subsequently your low end will be toast. Seems like the factory has put the pipe sizing exactly at the largest it should be for the engine. There should be no reason to deviate from that unless you are doing a bore/stroke job on the engine or forced-induction, such that there will be more exhaust flow on the way in the new system.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Corsa

Not sure on those two, but when i got my used '09 SRT it had the Corsa exhaust on it...no drone and sounds pretty aggressive when in the throttle!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the Magnaflow and love it. People look every time I start her up. Very deep idle. Slight drone that I only notice sometimes in 5th gear. Wide open usually gets a "HOLY CRAP!" from the passenger seat. Very aggressive sound, not quiet.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Like it's been said, you don't really need to mess with the size too much unless you are really getting into the modding and messing with the heads, etc..

Now, down here we might be a little biased (because we SELL Magnaflow) but there's a good reason for that. That is because in our opinion it is the best and we love it! It definitely has a nice deep idle and sound, it's fantastic.

We have plenty of Magnaflow systems in stock and our prices are amazing. we'll match or beat just about any price you can find. So don't hesitate to PM, call or email us if you have any questions or for special pricing and discount codes. Good luck and happy hunting!

-Alec

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a Magnaflow cat back on my SRT8 - really like the sound and performance. Looks really good too - the quad tips as well as underneath the car. Definitely high quality material and a real "muscle" sound. Had a little drone for the first month in the 1500 - 1800 RPM range, but after it broke right in and don't have any now. Had it on since Dec and am still loving the look and sound!

·
Registered
432 Posts
another vote here for Magnaflow Competition series. It was a bit loud and some drone the first few days, but quieted down a bit afterwards once everything settled and soot covered the inside of the pipes :icon_biggrin:. Now it's perfect !

·
Banned
18 Posts
I have the Magnaflow 16885 on my 6sp Srt8. Nice deep idle, a couple of cracks and pops when you let off the throttle, wicked @ WOT! Didn't fit worth a crap, lot of work to get it right. Does drone more than stock, but tolerable. Did I say it was L O U D!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I also have the Magnaflows on my 6spd RT. Love the sound of them. I dynoed the car 4 times. First time for a baseline each time after more rwhp with the system. All of my mods are in the sig.

·
Registered
13 Posts
flow master

well i have american thunder flow master on 2010 srt and the sound is the best i,ve heard. i had corsa but realy like the flow master best.check on you tube for sound clip.i got mine for $631.00 ship at anything auto

·
Registered
176 Posts
i have flowmaster mufflers on my car..check it out:

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I've never understood what is such the great attraction about Flowmaster over any other aftermarket exhaust. I cannot really pull out anything distinctive about the sound quality. Is it just that it has the deeper sound than anything else? Is that the number one reason to get an exhaust? Is there anything else that happens in the signature Flowmaster sound.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
...and now for something a little different! Seems like if the task was to describe/distinguishing different exhaust sounds, something like this should be an obligatory part of the process:

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Here's another one that nicely distinguishes the effect of the stock resonator:

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Can we be fairly certain that the primary drone frequency we are dealing with is around 45-ish Hz, with a likely (but similarly strong) 2nd harmonic at 90-ish Hz?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've never understood what is such the great attraction about Flowmaster over any other aftermarket exhaust. I cannot really pull out anything distinctive about the sound quality. Is it just that it has the deeper sound than anything else? Is that the number one reason to get an exhaust? Is there anything else that happens in the signature Flowmaster sound.
Randycat99,
Sound preferences are different for everybody. That’s the benefit of us offering many different chambered Flowmaster mufflers and Hushpower mufflers. Our mufflers aren’t for everyone and that’s fine too.

Enthusiasts upgrade mufflers and exhaust systems because they want a better sound than what their car came with from the factory. Some because they want better performance and some want both. A lot of enthusiasts love our mufflers and sound, so we’re happy to continue supporting them with new products and better technology.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Can you comment on what are the chief sound differences between the Flowmaster 10/40/50 series? Is it just different degrees of attenuation with the same basic spectral curve, or is the curve different altogether?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts