Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what do you all think will be high impact colors for the rest of this year and next year?

My guesses are:

return of purple, sublime (lighter green than GWE), a light yellow and return of hemi-orange next year.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Purple, HO, yellow and B5 will be back. Probably not for this year, maybe not even 2012, but by 2013-14 for sure. They would be crazy not to. These cars are ridiculously priced (60+K when the average yearly wage is 37K), and to sell as many as possible, they will have to cater to what the public wants. The boring 'BMW Colours' (black, silver, white) will always be around (not sure why they don't discontinue these for a year or two????), and the reds/blues are staples, but realistically, the impacts are what these cars are originally known for, why they aren't available at all times, and on all models, is absolutely beyond me!!

With Sublime being my favourite colour in real life, or course, I would love to see one, but I truly don't see it happening. Chrysler 'learned' 40 years ago with several shades of green/brown and beige, and all the car guys did was ***** and complain about 'green and brown' cars for the following 10-20 years. They won't do it again, I believe the GWE and the Toxic Orange are all we are going to get for 'green and brown' cars.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Purple, HO, yellow and B5 will be back. Probably not for this year, maybe not even 2012, but by 2013-14 for sure. They would be crazy not to. These cars are ridiculously priced (60+K when the average yearly wage is 37K), and to sell as many as possible, they will have to cater to what the public wants. The boring 'BMW Colours' (black, silver, white) will always be around (not sure why they don't discontinue these for a year or two????), and the reds/blues are staples, but realistically, the impacts are what these cars are originally known for, why they aren't available at all times, and on all models, is absolutely beyond me!!

With Sublime being my favourite colour in real life, or course, I would love to see one, but I truly don't see it happening. Chrysler 'learned' 40 years ago with several shades of green/brown and beige, and all the car guys did was ***** and complain about 'green and brown' cars for the following 10-20 years. They won't do it again, I believe the GWE and the Toxic Orange are all we are going to get for 'green and brown' cars.
I like sublime green too, but the truth is it takes a special buyer. Just like yellow, orange and purple. Assign whatever fancy names you want, you get my point.

Have you actually owned a "high impact color" on any type of car? The most radical I've gotten is a bright yellow 2004 Jeep Wrangler. I loved it and made no apologies for buying it. It's still one of my favorite remembered vehicles. And while it did woo many, when it came time to sell, I heard so many people state if only it were <insert "BMW colors" name here> then I would want it. Seems these unique colors are neat to look at, but necessarily "the item" to have when the bulk of people try to blend into their environment instead of making a statement.

That being said, for the guys that love cars and love the uniqueness it doesn't matter. However, being realistic, that target is small. And if you want Dodge around in 5, 10 or 15 years they need to sell to large targets and push volumes of car to stay profitable. It's basic economics.

So I am willing to be patient and see Dodge leak some high impact colors in varied seasons and limited productivity. After all, that kind of makes it rare and collectible. And until I see something I just can't live without, I will take my black RT and continue to be happy and "in style" rather it's today or 30 years from now. Because haven't you heard? Black is always in style, it's a staple.

To answer the OP's question, I have no idea when and what to expect as far as high impact colors go.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You would think plain red would be a staple, but it wasn't offered the first year, and it isn't offered in 2011. Camaro and Mustang? Yes. And if you want a red at all, it will cost you an extra $995 or so for a car already at a price disadvantage to the aforementioned rivals. Nutty:notallthere:

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
You would think plain red would be a staple, but it wasn't offered the first year, and it isn't offered in 2011. Camaro and Mustang? Yes. And if you want a red at all, it will cost you an extra $995 or so for a car already at a price disadvantage to the aforementioned rivals. Nutty:notallthere:
yeah go figure...gotta pay a grand more for....red!?!?!? :scratchhead:
I can't speak to when HI colors will come back but figure they will all make an appearance again before production shuts down

·
Banned
557 Posts
yeah go figure...gotta pay a grand more for....red!?!?!? :scratchhead:
I can't speak to when HI colors will come back but figure they will all make an appearance again before production shuts down
Yeah, I think Dodge got their wires twisted for 2011 models. The thing that bothers me about the red is it's more like a "strawberry red". Seems to me bright red (torred) should always be an option. Afterall, we are talking sports car here.

·
Registered
683 Posts
You still cannot get a "plain white" SRT car after all these years of production - at some point, they need to offer that. Its not happening this year as the white is specific only to the IE, so maybe next year. Alot of people would like a white SRT, yet Dodge has never made it available.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I wonder what the reason is for the $995 up charge for the new Redline paint color is. That IS quite odd. How many people would pay a grand more for a basic SE for simple red. I am a red car fanatic but a grand more?

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i hope they dont make a regular White SRT...id like my IE to be more unique

DY isnt selling very well, so i doubt it comes back(there all over the place leftover)
PCP will come back ill bet

what about Vitimin C orange?

I can see Sublime in the future

2011 is only a 1/2 year production, so maybe there wont be any other colors

what about the Mopar 11? maybe in Sublime

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,794 Posts
I saw a Blackberry Pearl and Brilliant Black R/T Classic parked side by side today and I honestly couldn't tell the difference until I was about 2 feet away. It was in direct sunlight and there was only a slight purplish hue to the metal flake in the Blackberry. I don't mean to dis anyone that likes it, but I don't see the point because it just looks black IMO. If Dodge wants to tie up a paint vat, why not offer something VERY different? I think they probably had a pantload of PCP paint left so they decided to mix it with black to get rid of it.
I just did a search on Cars.com and was surprised to see a LOT of the special colors like B5 Blue, Detonator Yellow, PCP, and Furious Fuchsia are still available on lots all over the country well over a year after manufacture. I think Dodge will continue to do small lots of these types of offerings which is as it should be. I just ordered a GWE SRT and the fewer they make the better because I don't want to see a ton of them around.
As far as what the future holds, I DON'T see Dodge revisiting any of the colors listed above because they're not for everyone as another member posted. I wanted Sublime Green but decided to go with the GWE because I don't think the former's going to happen.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I wonder what the reason is for the $995 up charge for the new Redline paint color is. That IS quite odd. How many people would pay a grand more for a basic SE for simple red. I am a red car fanatic but a grand more?
I believe the reason is quite simple. Have you ever tried to paint anything red? It takes MANY coats of red to paint a wall. Been there. It takes many coats to paint a car. Been there too. I'm pretty sure that is the reason...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Blue is a pretty well liked color, I bet the next high impact color will be a blue

similar to grabber blue maybe?

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
... but a grand EXTRA for Red? Inferno Red and TorRed were only, what $200 extra... I don't think all of the other manufactures charge a grand extra for a red car....

Sublime... I saw an interview with Ralph Giles and he basically said that there was alot of interest in Sublime so they 'updated' it for now and Green With Envy is it!!! I don't see Sublime as it was in 1970 coming back in the future. B5 Blue sold quite well so I wonder if they do that again.

Quite honestly I don't understand why ANY type of blue is not offered on the SE... a basic blue not available? Odd...

I don't like the Mustang Grabber Blue at all... just me though.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Yeah, I think Dodge got their wires twisted for 2011 models. The thing that bothers me about the red is it's more like a "strawberry red". Seems to me bright red (torred) should always be an option. Afterall, we are talking sports car here.
Interesting perspective. I had the owner of a used car dealership tell me that there were only 2 colors he would buy to re-sell in a sports/muscle car. Black or Red.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not sure what they will offer, but here's what I typically see on the local roads:
HO, Black, Silver.

Rarely see other colors, unless I head north towards San Jose.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Interesting perspective. I had the owner of a used car dealership tell me that there were only 2 colors he would buy to re-sell in a sports/muscle car. Black or Red.
I think most dealerships would echo this guy's thought, even if indirectly. They have a good feel for what customers will and won't buy. And let's face it, if a guy walks in looking for PCP there is a CHANCE you could sell him on black. However, if a guy wants black, it's a lot harder to sell him a purple car. I see that from a sales perspective. But as a car enthusiast, it makes no sense. LOL

Me personally, I chose black because I loved it. The metallic flakes make it unique to other black cars I've owned in the past and I'm glad I went this way. Although as I mentioned earlier, the DWB's make me drool a bit too. However, for me black screams muscle car and when I find a nice set of chrome wheels to properly compliment the Challenger, I will be done in the looks department since my windows are tinted and it now just looks bad ass. Then I can start focusing on things that matter, like a supercharger and/or 426 kit. :guiness:

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
It would be nice to see more colors offered, but it doesn't "impact" me.

I've got the one I want

1 - 18 of 18 Posts