Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously thinking of trading in my Hellcat for a new Scat Pack.

Happened to find what I think appears to be a suitable SP.

Want to arm myself with info on incentives. Dealer is offering $500 off "sticker". There is a link to other incentives. What a list. Seems there is a class/category of an incentive for everyone.

But wanted to know what others have found the incentives to be.

Will say that back in Dec. 2017 I bought a new 2018 Scat Pack for its base price: $38,895 plus its destination charge of $1095 for a total of $40,090. Essentially got all the options; around $6K worth; for "free". Later read where others did better than that.

The car I have my eye on is optioned just a bit more richly than the car I bought. Roughly $5K more. Some options I care nothing for, like a sunroof, but I do not have to use that and since I don't race the extra weight is not a real concern.

Just curious what others have managed in the way of discounts/incentives for 2020 Scat Packs.

Now off to research what my 2018 Hellcat with 27.8K miles might be worth as a trade in...

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sort of an update. Some 'net research turns up the "base" price is $38,995 which is what's on the sticker.

"Invoice" price is $37656.

"Dealer cost" is $37,981 (this with destination/delivery charge added in and the hold back subtracted).

Submitted my Hellcat details to an online site and in a few minutes I received a cash offer for my 2018 Hellcat of $47K.

Could I really buy the Scat Pack I have in mind using my Hellcat as a trade in and get $10K back from the dealer?

If I paid "list" price for the new car I would be looking at around $4K out of pocket, not including tax and license, etc.

Might find out. I have received a number of texts, emails, even a few phone calls, of course asking about the Hellcat and since I indicated I was interested in buying another car, a Dodge Challenger, asking for details about what I was looking for in my next car.

Gathering up the Hellcat title, service invoices -- although the Dodge dealer should be able to obtain this info from Dodge as I have been able to do -- and keys, original window sticker, and so on.

Will visit a dealer and see what happens.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,598 Posts
Sorry but this has nothing to do with your question and it's just my curiosity, but are you looking at a standard or widebody Scat Pack Rockster?

As far as trading in your Hellcat, I'd recommend giving Carmax a shot. We had a car that we wanted to sell and after getting a sale value from the dealer (not buying another car but using Autotrader to get a list of dealers that might be interested), thought that we'd look around at other options and found Carmax. The process was easy and quick and they ended up giving us $1800 more than the dealer was offering. The deal was done in the same day (I can't remember how long the offer was good for after they made it).

Granted, this was probably 10 years ago and pre-COVID which may change things up a bit.

The Carmax person said that they buy the vehicle based off of what things are selling for at the auctions.

Just food for thought and it's another option to look at.

Good Luck! (y)

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry but this has nothing to do with your question and it's just my curiosity, but are you looking at a standard or widebody Scat Pack Rockster?

As far as trading in your Hellcat, I'd recommend giving Carmax a shot. We had a car that we wanted to sell and after getting a sale value from the dealer (not buying another car but using Autotrader to get a list of dealers that might be interested), thought that we'd look around at other options and found Carmax. The process was easy and quick and they ended up giving us $1800 more than the dealer was offering. The deal was done in the same day (I can't remember how long the offer was good for after they made it).

Granted, this was probably 10 years ago and pre-COVID which may change things up a bit.

The Carmax person said that they buy the vehicle based off of what things are selling for at the auctions.

Just food for thought and it's another option to look at.

Good Luck! (y)
Narrow body Scat Pack.

I'd use CarMax at least to get a data point but there are none reasonably close. I'd have to drive 100+ miles to get an offer then if I took the offer face having to get home with no car.

No need to use Autotrader to get a list of dealers who might be interested in the car. The submission for a "cash" offer was apparently broadcast to a number of dealers 2 who called me and several more emailed/texted me.

I have the Hellcat cleaned out and all its keys -- the black one has a dead battery -- rounded up and service invloces, title and original MSRP and all the manuals that came with the car all gathered up ready to hit the dealer later and see what kind of deal I might be able to swing.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think Id def try what FreddyG said Hit up carmax and carvana to see what they will offer. At least then you KNOW your bottom line on what you can get for your car and walk away. vs what the dealer is offering
Looked into this a while back. Neither of those businesses have any facilities near me. IIRC the nearest CarMax is in Oklahoma City which is 215 miles from my location. (The nearest Carvana location is I believe even more distant.)

I would have to drive the car to the facility and get the quote/offer. If I accepted the offer I'd have to figure out how to get home.

·
Registered
45 Posts
carvana will give you an offer. If you accept it, do all the paperwork online, then they show up at your door, hand you a check and take your car away. Had 2 friends do it. If your car has a lien then Im not sure how they view that but...

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
carvana will give you an offer. If you accept it, do all the paperwork online, then they show up at your door, hand you a check and take your car away. Had 2 friends do it. If your car has a lien then Im not sure how they view that but...
No need to take the car to a Carvana location for a quote?

There is no lien on the Hellcat. I bought it outright.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Carvana...

Just tried to get a quote for an outright sale. Too far from the nearest Carvana site in Oklahoma City. Need to arrange to bring the car within a 50 mile radius which is 138 miles from my location.

"Looks like you're in beautiful Centerton! You're 188 miles away from the nearest hub at 1800 W Memorial Rd Oklahoma City, OK 73134.

You'll need to meet us within a 50 mile radius to drop off your vehicle or trade it in for a new one from us."

That's not practical.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No need to take the car to a Carvana location for a quote?

There is no lien on the Hellcat. I bought it outright.
Carvanas website under "sell or trade" details the process completely. give them VIN or Plate and answer some questions and htey give you an offer. KBB does the same thing through local dealers. Might be lowball offeres but its a start

Carvana...

Just tried to get a quote for an outright sale. Too far from the nearest Carvana site in Oklahoma City. Need to arrange to bring the car within a 50 mile radius which is 138 miles from my location.

"Looks like you're in beautiful Centerton! You're 188 miles away from the nearest hub at 1800 W Memorial Rd Oklahoma City, OK 73134.

You'll need to meet us within a 50 mile radius to drop off your vehicle or trade it in for a new one from us."

That's not practical.
Damn, that stinks. Both my friends live in MD outside of Bmore and they sent a truck from NJ. Def outside the 50 mile radius.

so get the quote and then turn it down. at least you still have a $$ figure.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
Carvana...

That's not practical.
Bummer, most of my recent vehicle purchases were long distance. I live east of Pittsburgh, and got
my daughter's Chevrolet Cruze LTZ in central Ohio
my SLK350 in VA near DC,
my Charger R/T in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
My current Challenger in northern Ohio
My current Jeep Grand Cherokee in VA near DC
I will gladly spend a day driving a couple hundred miles for the right deal/car. I drove 300 (and back) then 250 (and back) to look at a jeep, then get another.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, deal is done. Traded Hellcat in for 2020 HellRaisin Scat Pack with 6-speed manual. Sort of loaded like the Hellcat except no leather. Sunroof. Will never use this. Had on in my Porsche Turbo used it about once a year just to remember how to operate the thing.

Got the new Scat Pack and get $3000 back from the dealer via check. Got the Power Dollars and some more incentives too boot. Didn't steal it but I said no to two deals then yes to the 3rd one.

Funny but I have to learn to drive a manual again. Got spoiled. Rolling into the dealer after a brief test drive and almost forgot I was in a manual transmission equipped car. Stepped on the clutch just in time.

But I drove the car around 5 miles home and in traffic and by the time I got home it had come back to me. Clutch engages kind of high up than I'm used to -- with my JCW. More like my Porsche cars.

Scrolling through the Performance Pages stuff. I was thinking something was missing. It was. No transmission temperature. No IC coolant temperature. One other ... maybe the fuel air mixture.

Dealer liked the Hellcat. Knew it was in good condition. Had all the service records. 3 year 36K mile warranty until mid February next year. The 5 year 60K mile drive train warranty still in effect.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Muscle car

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll ask since nobody else has... Why trade down from the hellcat?
Wanted to get out from under a more complex car to something a bit simpler. One reason I sold my Porsche 996 Turbo was it had 2 very expensive turbos which were fine when I sold the car with 161K miles but I wondered how long they'd stay fine.

Turbos and superchargers wear out eventually.

Also, that automatic with its very complex servicing and Dodge claiming the fluid was essentially life time. I recalled with my 2nd hand exposure to Porsche cars with the old style slush boxes a number of transmissions developed problems as the cars got closer to 100K miles. My take away was the automatics needs early and more frequent fluid services to really prolong the life of hte transmission. The PDK transmissions may be different, though.

The automatic in the Hellcat was cool. On the way home I caught myself reaching for the +paddle...

But the manual feels "tight" and the lever is solid the shift throws short and the clutch action is good. Besides the manual is much simpler to service. For my Boxter the labor to change the transmission fluid was just 0.3 hours.

Then there is the supercharger inter cooler cooling system. How will that hold up over time?

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
Wanted to get out from under a more complex car to something a bit simpler. One reason I sold my Porsche 996 Turbo was it had 2 very expensive turbos which were fine when I sold the car with 161K miles but I wondered how long they'd stay fine.

Turbos and superchargers wear out eventually.

Also, that automatic with its very complex servicing and Dodge claiming the fluid was essentially life time. I recalled with my 2nd hand exposure to Porsche cars with the old style slush boxes a number of transmissions developed problems as the cars got closer to 100K miles. My take away was the automatics needs early and more frequent fluid services to really prolong the life of hte transmission. The PDK transmissions may be different, though.

The automatic in the Hellcat was cool. On the way home I caught myself reaching for the +paddle...

But the manual feels "tight" and the lever is solid the shift throws short and the clutch action is good. Besides the manual is much simpler to service. For my Boxter the labor to change the transmission fluid was just 0.3 hours.

Then there is the supercharger inter cooler cooling system. How will that hold up over time?
I know the feeling with the transmission. My jeep has an 8 speed. Not the same one obviously, but I believe they are very similar just significantly beefed up for hellcat power. Supposedly lifetime fluid which feels wrong on so many levels. And a school of thought that changing the fluid is actually more damaging. Something about the friction material of the clutch packs being suspended in the fluid and providing its own level of friction modification.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I know the feeling with the transmission. My jeep has an 8 speed. Not the same one obviously, but I believe they are very similar just significantly beefed up for hellcat power. Supposedly lifetime fluid which feels wrong on so many levels. And a school of thought that changing the fluid is actually more damaging. Something about the friction material of the clutch packs being suspended in the fluid and providing its own level of friction modification.
Why not use Amsoil or Redline for the 8 speed automatic trans?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts