Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Mopar world! Well after many years of driving Camaro's, Mustangs and Mercedes I am considering buying a 2020 Dodge Challenger R/T (already put a deposit down) and I was wondering if there are any known issues with the RT particularly with their 5.7L and automatic transmission?

Thank you for any and all responses!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
ZF TorqueFlte 8 speed an amazing intuitive transmission IMO. German and made in Indiana. 5.7 good power. Run 0-30 Synthetic not the recommended 0-20 and all will be well. No wiped cams or Hemi ticks as reported.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dennis:
Thank you very much for your response! This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. If you don't mind me asking how long have you owned your challenger RT? And, regarding your oil suggestion, will that void my engine warranty? I should have probably also mentioned that I live in Florida. Does that change or affect your oil recommendation?

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
737 Posts
ZF TorqueFlte 8 speed an amazing intuitive transmission IMO. German and made in Indiana. 5.7 good power. Run 0-30 Synthetic not the recommended 0-20 and all will be well. No wiped cams or Hemi ticks as reported.
5-20 is recommended and it's fine. Been running it in 5.7s since 2007.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Had my 09 R/T for 11 years. Not a hiccup. M6. Kinda miss it but like the automatic in the Redeye. 20 weight just too thin Especially Florida heat. Warranty Not that I’m aware of Another myth IMO. Put 3k on factory fill then Amsoil/Wix and you’re good.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Dodge challenger

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had my 09 R/T for 11 years. Not a hiccup. M6. Kinda miss it but like the automatic in the Redeye. 20 weight just too thin Especially Florida heat. Warranty Not that I’m aware of Another myth IMO. Put 3k on factory fill then Amsoil/Wix and you’re good. View attachment 1001037 View attachment 1001038
absolutely awesome! Thank you so much for your advice and your experience!

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,708 Posts
I loved the old 5 speed auto in my 2006 5.7 Charger, then when I got my 2015 5.7 Charger with the new 8 speed auto it was amazing the response, the feel, the drivability, all compared to other vehicles I have driven.
When I stepped up to a 2018 6.4 Challenger, I could not decide if I wanted a manual because the 8sp auto is so damn nice, so in my searches, I did not put in an option for transmission, and figured if I found the car for me, that would be like a bonus surprise, and I don't regret getting another one at all.
I have not driven a RWD GM product in a good while, but FWD 8 speeds from them seem to work OK, but cannot begin to compare how well they respond and drive to me. Maybe a Corvette/Camaro/CT6 would be a better comparison, I don't know, haven't driven one of those yet.

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
26 Posts
the LX platform (Charger/Challenger/300) has been a pretty solid one for over 12 years and they have just refined it until near perfection, the defect rates are so low (Dodge Challenger Reliability - Dashboard Light) they won an award recently. the 8spd auto is one of the best on the planet, multiple manufacturers use the same tranny in different models, there are literally millions on the road. There is a good reason why Challengers have held such strong resale value even though it's the same body style for 12 years

Welcome to the Mopar world!

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,904 Posts
Put 43k miles on my '10 RT with the A5. No major issues, and the 5.7 was a great motor.

I have 28k miles on my present '16 Scat Pack with the A8. No issues and LOVE the 8 speed auto.

FWIW, follow the factory service schedules, and use the weight that the factory recommends.

Changing weights is silly as heck IMO. The factory has countless hours of R&D time, and they specify the weight needed for a reason.

I doubt that any internet "oil pro" has done any amount of testing compared to the factory. The "pros" don't offer a warranty, the factory does, if you follow what's specified.

The 5.7 A8 should be a really great driver.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,719 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) I agree to run the oil weight specified by the manufacturer, at least while under warranty

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
713 Posts
You will not be disappointed with the A8 trans, its freaking awesome.

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
491 Posts
You will not be disappointed with the A8 trans, its freaking awesome.
It's definitely an awesome transmission. I wonder if theres any long term reliability data. Cause I think that's what the OP is also interested in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's definitely an awesome transmission. I wonder if theres any long term reliability data. Cause I think that's what the OP is also interested in.

Two words: shift quality. The 8HP transmission from German supplier ZF is quick enough to serve sports cars and graceful enough for large luxury sedans, and it combines those elements of speed and smoothness whether it’s installed in an Aston Martin, a Rolls-Royce, or a Jeep.

It's on-par with dual-clutch in terms of performance, but smoother, cheaper, and easier to package. It's no wonder so many cars use it.

The Aston Martin DBS Superleggera. The Toyota Supra. The Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. The BMW M5. The Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk. The Rolls-Royce Phantom. Though these cars are all different, there's one thing they (and many other cars) have in common: ZF's 8HP eight-speed torque converter automatic transmission.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
713 Posts
98,000 miles. No issues.

Reactions: sctm81
1 - 20 of 21 Posts