Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just figured I would see who has done a money shift before. I did one against my friends GTO (was a waste of gas) went back into first when I meant to hit third. Saw the tach hit 7300 I believe.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I did that a couple months ago getting on the freeway. Missed 3rd went back to 1st. Luckily I wasn't "on it" that time. I hit that clutch so fast, didn't know my left leg could move like that. Where was that foot speed when I was playin ball?!

Edit. Now that I think about it, it was probably 4 back to 3rd, missing 5th. I had already made my way to the fast lane when it happened. just remember this panic in my head right as I did it and the sound of the RPMs flying high, I knew I fd-up!

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Just figured I would see who has done a money shift before. I did one against my friends GTO (was a waste of gas) went back into first when I meant to hit third. Saw the tach hit 7300 I believe.

7300? Wouldn't it bounce off the rev limiter?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
not if the road is what is driving the engine. The rev limit cuts fuel to stop the egine. If you are gonig faster than the redline in 1st when you shift into it, You can blow your engine. I thought the gate closed to first after like 20mph

Reactions: teddyp

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did that a couple months ago getting on the freeway. Missed 3rd went back to 1st. Luckily I wasn't "on it" that time. I hit that clutch so fast, didn't know my left leg could move like that. Where was that foot speed when I was playin ball?!

Edit. Now that I think about it, it was probably 4 back to 3rd, missing 5th. I had already made my way to the fast lane when it happened. just remember this panic in my head right as I did it and the sound of the RPMs flying high, I knew I fd-up!
Did it wrap out very high? Sounds like yours wouldn't have been too bad unless you had 4th maxed out at 140

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
never heard it call a moneyshift before, shifted my Auto (column) 440 charger r/t from 2nd to reverse instead of 3rd gear once, engine just shut off and coasted to a stop, restarted and kept going. Went from high 3rd to 2nd once in a stick shift turbo car, hit the rev limiter at 7300rpm, engine was fine afterwards, it didn't mind hitting redline, as long as you didn't do it too often.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
never heard it call a moneyshift before, shifted my Auto (column) 440 charger r/t from 2nd to reverse instead of 3rd gear once, engine just shut off and coasted to a stop, restarted and kept going. Went from high 3rd to 2nd once in a stick shift turbo car, hit the rev limiter at 7300rpm, engine was fine afterwards, it didn't mind hitting redline, as long as you didn't do it too often.
Moneyshift because people blow motors this way.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Dang I did it again this week. A day away from being exactly a year since the first and last time I did it. Both times I have done it weren't against cars worth racing. I really need a Barton shifter to get my third gear problem solved.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Similar, I have a 5 speed truck. After driving my challenger I've been known to mindlessly try to drop it into 6th when cruising. I've never actually gotten it into reverse but I've ground the hell out of it a few times.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Dang I did it again this week. A day away from being exactly a year since the first and last time I did it. Both times I have done it weren't against cars worth racing. I really need a Barton shifter to get my third gear problem solved.
I constantly have the 2>3 shift problem when trying to drive spiritedly. My Barton is on my counter and will be going in over the weekend. I'll let you know how well it solves the issue.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I think you guys are trying too hard to shift it then, the stick moves right over as you slide it up, 2-3 is perfect on mine and I like to think I can shift it very fast when I want to.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was gonna say I know part of my problem is I pound gears pretty hard but third always seems to be over to the right more than I think it is

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I constantly have the 2>3 shift problem when trying to drive spiritedly. My Barton is on my counter and will be going in over the weekend. I'll let you know how well it solves the issue.
Keep me updated, I would love to know your results

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
never heard it call a moneyshift before
Same here: I had to read the thread to understand. I started out on manuals and don't think I ever did this, although I did miss a few shifts because of bad synchros.

Now the first auto I drove, I thought I had it down after driving around in a parking lot... then I had to flog it and try to shift manually, of course. On the first 1-2 shift my left foot reflexively hit the floor going for the clutch and ended up on the brake pedal. That got me noticed...

I stayed with manuals until I bought my first auto, a 1984 Plymouth Gran Fury. Again, I couldn't just leave it in Drive and had to experiment with the (column) shifter. Yes, with only 3 speeds. :naughty: So on a couple of occasions as I tried too hard to shift from 2 to D, I ended up in... reverse! Instant rear wheel lockup and engine stall. The Fury started right back up after that each time. That car was bulletproof as far as the drivetrain.

Now with the Charger and Challenger, both autos, I've downshifted instead of upshifted before, but that's only one gear and while it woke me up it wasn't harmful to the engine. I've also downshifted by accident in maneuvers when my hand hit the paddle (always thought that those were a bad idea outside of a track). No repercussions there either.

So no real moneyshifts here. Shameshifts? Yup. :slap:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same here: I had to read the thread to understand. I started out on manuals and don't think I ever did this, although I did miss a few shifts because of bad synchros.

Now the first auto I drove, I thought I had it down after driving around in a parking lot... then I had to flog it and try to shift manually, of course. On the first 1-2 shift my left foot reflexively hit the floor going for the clutch and ended up on the brake pedal. That got me noticed...

I stayed with manuals until I bought my first auto, a 1984 Plymouth Gran Fury. Again, I couldn't just leave it in Drive and had to experiment with the (column) shifter. Yes, with only 3 speeds. :naughty: So on a couple of occasions as I tried too hard to shift from 2 to D, I ended up in... reverse! Instant rear wheel lockup and engine stall. The Fury started right back up after that each time. That car was bulletproof as far as the drivetrain.

Now with the Charger and Challenger, both autos, I've downshifted instead of upshifted before, but that's only one gear and while it woke me up it wasn't harmful to the engine. I've also downshifted by accident in maneuvers when my hand hit the paddle (always thought that those were a bad idea outside of a track). No repercussions there either.

So no real moneyshifts here. Shameshifts? Yup. :slap:
Luckily with the new electronic autos it won't go into a gear it shouldn't. Wish I could say the same for my right arm lol

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Luckily with the new electronic autos it won't go into a gear it shouldn't.
They're already pretty safe right now, except that I think the NAG1 could be shifted into reverse while driving forward (not sure and not about to test that either, but it does go into Neutral). Once our shifters really are like a computer mouse I fully expect error messages for the wrong shift or snotty "Did you mean... 3rd gear?" remarks coming from the EVIC. :disappointed:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts